1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Same issues as last year,
    accuracy
    and late game decision making

no improvement

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Multiple people already want him benched for the next guy, who brings less to the table. There are multiple positions that need improvement on our team, but only Ehlinger's head is called for.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That's somewhat understandable given the game ended with another late Ehlinger TO. But like you said, the loss does not fall all on him but think most are confident that Orlando will turn the D around and QB is the one position where you can observe improvement right off the back, which is what most fans want obviously.

Honestly I don't see the knock on Shane as much as you or a few others. Sure his deep ball isn't great but is it really worst than Sam's? What about accuracy on short quick passes? Stats never tell the whole story but overall Shane has a better completion %, yards per attempt, TD/INT ratio so far in their careers. Sam obviously brings a different dynamic with his scrambling but if Hand can improve the pass protection (which I thought they looked okay last weekend), not sure its enough to make up some of the accuracy and decision making issues he's having.

Personally, I don't like pulling your starting QB so really I'm with you. But if Shane progressed this offseason as Herman has stated, then I don't think it's crazy to want a change.

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  4. Bob Barker 007

Ehlinger made poor reads and was inaccurate on short throws. He did make some better throws in the hurry-up offense in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. He should not play at all if we play as slowly as we did in the first quarter. I think Buechele would be good if he is given a clean pocket, which we should be able to do against bad teams like Tulsa. However, the problem with Buechele is how he will play under pressure against teams like USC, TCU, and Oklahoma. His decision-making and accuracy drop when hurried or forced out of the pocket. Buechele lowers our ceiling for the season because we won't beat good teams with him under center. I would rather see Ehlinger in a hurry-up offense that showcases his strengths. A hybrid system might also work, in which Ehlinger acts primarily as a QB runner like Tebow, and Buechele stays in the pocket like Chris Leak.

tinman likes this.
  5. Bob Barker 007

We could have run the ball straight down the field because they kept the prevent + spy defense the same for the final six minutes. It didn't require anything special from the pass offense to adjust to it. Run Ehlinger through the gap, have Porter (or Watson/Ingram) with him to pick up the spy, and get 8-15 yards a carry every time. That should have been our answer on 2nd and 3rd down to move the ball.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Definitely... that's the reason Ehrlinger is the QB anyway, right? Cause he can run some. With the clock stopping on first downs, how they didn't do a single QB sneak type run play is mind boggling.

7. gucci888

Ya that was a fail. Fact that no coach figured this out is scary. Also think Ehlinger missed some opportunities to pick up yardage on scrambles electing to check down to Porter or throwing the ball away. Think he misread a few zone reads to start the game as well.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

This lost was worse than last years because that rain delay made the game even longer.

The USC game can't come soon enough. We NEED to win that game.

9. gucci888

Pretty big injury news:

Starting OC Shackelford is out. Rodriguez will fill in with Kerstetter moving to OG. Samuel Cosmi will get his first start at RG.

Brandon Jones also out with ankle sprain. Looks like we’ll have 2 true freshman starting at Safeties.

Also backup OG Patrick Hudson was rushed to the hospital for heat illness. Sounds like he’ll be okay but our this week.

10. Buck Turgidson

Weird, what was he doing? It's been humid but not that hot at all this week, nothing like it was in the summer.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

we should still beat Tulsa

12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can't say I'm excited for tomorrow. I guess I'm not a big enough fan of football, as a game, to get pumped for a cupcake that Texas should beat by 30. Considering we were defeated by Maryland again, I don't think we'll be able to really tell what this team will be for the rest of the season until the USC game.

#10852 mtbrays, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  13. Buck Turgidson

How could you be?

mtbrays likes this.
  14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are going to be a lot of empty seats at DKR tomorrow.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Does anyone have a link to the game??

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Never mind I found one on Reddit.

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Texas is back...?

18. gucci888

Herman is one historically bad kicking game from being 0-2 against freaking Maryland and Tulsa. Pathetic performance.

tinman and raining threes like this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Really a mistake to schedule 2 superpowers like Maryland and Tulsa to start your season.

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  20. Newlin

Newlin Member

Next two weeks should be fun. Hopefully they will be on one of the 500+ TV channels I currently receive.