1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Buck Turgidson

Can I get someone else to take the classes for me, as I have no use for a grad degree?

I think it's all good though. Rowland hit an 18 yarder today.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

How in the blue hell did Oklahoma struggle to beat Baylor?

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We are due to beat TCU .
    Kenny Hill looked inaccurate

4. Buck Turgidson

How did we beat Iowa State?

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Don't care if it was Baylor, good to see the offense have some life to it. Shane was not great but efficient, still has issues on diagnosing the blitz which is worrisome with our OL and TCU coming up. But like that Herman threw in some trickery and got the freshman RBs going. No idea what's going on with Warren but Carter/Young seemed to have more burst and bounced off a lot of first contact, something we haven't seen this season with Warren/Porter.

Defense was stout as usual.

6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I didn't get to see the game on Saturday. Stat lines looked bizarre but I'm glad to see the win.

-Left Tackle Connor Williams is back on the field this week. All eyes are on Nov 18 at West Virginia but you never know. I wonder what they'll do with Okafor?

-Freshman RB Toneil Carter is being evaluated for a head injury. Don't be surprised to see him miss the TCU game

-Nickelback PJ Locke is out for the TCU game

-Headwriter at Bleacher Report thinks CB Holton Hill would join Malik Jefferson and Connor Williams in the 1st round of the NFL draft should they all leave Texas early. It's possible juniors DeShon Elliott and defensive lineman Charles Omenihu could start to see some high draft hype as well. Omenihu has gone under the radar a bit but he has the build for a NFL defensive lineman and has been able to consistently penetrate and wrap guys up.

-The CB recruit (Antony Cook) we've been discussing has delayed his commitment announcement. I don't think people should read into this that much. I don't think you can take the commitments of players of this caliber that seriously until after the season anyway. It's better he waits and is sure than commits/de-commits. It seems like it's down to Ohio ST, LSU and Texas.

DL Recruit update from EJ at 247
    So the above isn't great news for an area (DL) that we are already weak in due to transfers. Someone had said they thought we would lose the kid Christmas from Louisiana after the season to make it worse.

Sooooo.... this is weird.

IN 2018, Texas will play the day after thanksgiving on the road against Kansas. Texas had been playing that game at home since A&M left the big 12 against TCU and Texas Tech in alternating years.

"Football on Thanksgiving weekend is a Texas tradition," Perrin said. "This year's game against Texas Tech will mark the sixth consecutive year we've hosted a game on Thanksgiving weekend. Moving forward, the Big 12 scheduling approach with the return of the football championship game will sometimes result in playing a road game on Thanksgiving weekend."

It also sounds like move of UT-OkSt to mid-season is going to be a permeant thing in order to avoid what the conference sees as a more likely conference championship rematch given the two Oklahoma teams finished 1-2 in the conference in the last two seasons.

Here is the full article: https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...-texas-takeaways-big-12s-2018-schedule-reveal

7. gucci888

Move Kerstetter in to RG and let Okafor start at RT. No idea if Kerstetter has experience at OG but can't be worse that McMillon IMO.

8. Buck Turgidson

Isn't that a pretty important thing to know? The "can't be worse" line is always horsesh!t. Yes, they can be.

9. gucci888

Meant if he's played or practiced at OG since enrolling. Believe he played OG in high school which is why I suggested possibly moving him inside if we want to keep Okafor on the field when CW comes back.

10. Brando2101

Offensive Line Grades from the Baylor game from Pro Football Focus via Horns 247

11. Brando2101

The analysis I quoted in the post above is pretty helpful in objectively evaluating offensive linemen and Kerstetter seems to be doing a great job. He's not as highly ranked on the pass block buy Okafor isn't that much higher. You have to pay to get access to that site though so I don't know what the season metrics look like.

Thoughts on the future of offensive line by Chip Brown. (Bolded interesting bits)

Here is a recruiting update. Everyone at 247 was predicting Texas would lose one of their top LB commits over the weekend. Time will tell. More info in quote:

#10191 Brando2101, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Buechele is a step slower to recognize pressure and a step slower to escape it compared to Ehlinger.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Dammit, man. Horns getting handled by TCU. Frogs are ranked 8th, but still.

Harbaugh had Michigan ballin his first season. The last few years in Austin have been deplorable.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Do the horns have a plan to improve the offense next season? It's terrible now.

15. gucci888

Ya he is which is a big problem behind this atrocious OL.

16. Brando2101

New TVs above the urinals.

17. gucci888

Scour the land for the best JUCO lineman and hope you find some help at least. Doubt he gives up on Beck this early so best shot is improving the OL.

18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

9 yards rushing. For the game...

Tom Herman ladies and gentlemen!

19. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Jokes aside, the offense has a lot of issues, starting with the OL.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I would be happy with that record.