1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UT Football] Muschamp to Succeed Mack

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by RocketFan007, Nov 18, 2008.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I hate deals like this, oh well, at least no nepotism is involved

2. Festeral Otto

Festeral Otto Contributing Member

Ask Greg Davis. It's his job til death or scandal.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Or until Mack is done.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I had one HORRIBLE day today, but after reading this article I am grinning ear to ear. This is beyond awesome!

*jazz hands*

5. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

I have mixed feelings on this move. I'm happy that Boom is staying as defensive coordinator so that we can built upon the same defense in the off-season, instead of installing a brand new defense again. However, I have no idea whether he will make a good head coach down the line. I would prefer not having all of our eggs in one basket. What if a stud head coach emerges around the time Mack decides to retire? That being said, this may have been our only option to keep Boom.

6. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

I don't even remember the last time an arrangement like this has worked, at least not in the pros. Typically, the hot candidate loses their luster in a year or two.

Gregg Williams was promised a job with the Redskins and ended up not getting it. Jason Garrett may or may not get a job with the Cowboys. If Cowher says he wants to coach the Cowboys, do you really think Jerry Jones is going to say no? Jim Mora is supposed to get a job with the Seahawks. Is it a coincidence that the team has collapsed?

It seems like a bad deal when players know that the head coach is on the way out. Also, don't forget about other assistants who may be miffed that they weren't considered. There are alot of dynamics to be considered.

7. gucci888

8. updawg

updawg Member

the pros and college are two different things.

Basically Mack will take Muschamp under his wing to teach him the CEO functions of being a college head coach, thats why he came here in the first place.

this will make the recruiting process seamless and we keep a stud DC in the process.

If he doesn't work out and theres a better person then they will move on, it's not like they can't afford it. But at this point they think he is the one.

I like it but feel bad for Major and Jerry Gray

9. junglerules

junglerules Member

While it is a risk, there is a lot to like about this move.

First of all, Muschamp is young, but has plenty of quality experience. The guy has experience at LSU and Auburn, including a national title with Saban. Furthermore, he has NFL experience, too. Plus he's only 37? That's a hell of a resume to hold, and to show to potential recruits.

Secondly, he'll be able to hone his recruiting and management skills under one of the best in Mack Brown. And he'll be under no rush to do so.

Third, his players love playing for him, and his intensity is beyond contagious. That's only going to help with chemistry and recruiting in the future.

I love the move....Let Major be his O/C when he becomes head coach. I'm thinking Greg Davis leaves when Mack leaves.

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Even better than a White Christmas.

11. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I'm no UT fan but I thought Major was the guy waiting for Mac to hang it up?

Didnt he go from rice to bama as OC than back to UT as QB's coach. Now the HC dreams are gone and the OC posiston is filled. Seems like hes going backwards...

12. gucci888

I think a lot of people were assuming that Major was next in line, a lot of people are already saying he'll take over as OC after Greg Davis.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i think davies on 790 said it best (I can't believe i just typed that). this is a move to keep muschamp there in the short term. if you guys really think muschamp is going to be a ut another five years waiting on mack to retire, you really need to take the burnt orange shaded glasses off.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I would bet that if Mack gets to another NC game this year or next he is done and moves up to Athletic Director (or at least Apprentice AD).

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think that's the best case scenario of muschamp actually moving into a head coaching position. here's the worst case scenario, ut loses 3 or more games each of the next two seasons, people want mack's head, and there's some stud head coach sitting out there but you've promised the job to muschamp.

I just hate any situation where a successor is named, i understand wanting to keep a guy around, but it just assumes a lot of future occurrences.

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Let Muschamp go prove himself. If he's a successful head coach, couldn't UT hire him away? It's safe to assume when he takes over as head coach here his salary won't be $900k.

Look at the last 2 DCs. Robinson was fired by Syracuse. Chizik (who everyone thought would get a big time job) is at Iowa State (I'm sure he'll get fired too).

So basically UT doubled the guy's salary to keep him around as DC. Is that worth it? I guess UT can afford it.

17. gucci888

You're assuming that Muschamp would just leave whatever school he is at to go back to UT. Also, our last 2 DCs haven't really worked out with their prospective schools but I don't recall Syracuse or Iowa State ever being any good to begin with.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

UT should have sent Muschamp to Mizzou last weekend immediately after OU "won" the Big 12 South. Muschamp could coach the Mizzou defense for the conference title game. Oh well.

19. Fatty FatBastard

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cn I txt u ltr?