1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UT Football] Muschamp to Succeed Mack

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by RocketFan007, Nov 18, 2008.

1. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

http://mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111808aab.html

I'm stoked!! Great move by UT.

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

This is sad and exciting at the same time. I really love what Mack has done... faults and all.

This might get us some sentimental votes ala Tom Osborne.

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Mack's not stepping down anytime soon, they just have the plan in place for when he does.

4. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I don't think Mack is leaving this year. It's just saying that when he does, Muschamp is taking over.

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

if mack sticks around for a few more seasons - and it sure as hell sounds like he will - than this is a terrific move.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

this is great.. lock up muschamp as a coordinator so that he doesn't leave when he gets a HC offer somewhere else...and lock up a future HC when mack does decide to go. double win!

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya. I'm unbelievably excited about this move, Muschamp is a serious coaching talent and I think having another couple years (I'm gonna guess 3 or 4 more) under Mack will do wonders for him on how to run a big time program. Obviously a lot can happen in the mean time, but I'm glad we did something about our own DC carousel.

Hook Em'

8. danny317

danny317 Member

mack has something like 8 yrs left.

will muschamp really wait that long?

what if tennesse, clemson, washington, notre dame, auburn, florida state, penn state, etc... come calling?

9. danny317

danny317 Member

when is applewhite going to become oc?

10. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

very interesting. Texas wanted to be sure they could hold onto this guy for the immediate future and it appears they will be able to do just that.

It does bring up some interesting scenarios though. What happens if a couple of seasons down the road Mack puts up back-to-back 7 or 8 win seasons? It might make it mighty awkward for the fans to be calling for your head with your no-doubt successor sitting next to you in meetings everyday.

11. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

mack is beloved at texas, i can't ever see him being booted out of there by any means.

i'm sure some things will take place behind closed doors and he may be persuaded to retire (step down) if things came to that point, but texas will never treat mack brown in that manner. by texas, i mean the school, the athletic director, and all the fans.

even if muschamp does leave after about 4-5 years, it'll be good enough to have kept him here being DC for that long. our DC's have been bolting for head jobs way too frequently.

if he does leave, maybe by then major will have enough seasoning to be a coach, but that seems highly unlikely..

anyways, i love the move!

12. gucci888

I don't think there is anyway Mack stays for the 8 years left on his contract.

But I think that's the whole point of locking Muschamp up, we already knew that Clemson and Tenn were interested in him, it would only be a matter of time before he would leave if we didn't up the ante.

13. updawg

updawg Member

Mack will move on to AD when he wants.

Great move all around.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Mack is gonna stay too long and Muschamp will demand another raise and/or title as co-coach or something. See "Conan to replace Leno" for reference....

15. gucci888

I have a hunch that there is a gentlemen's agreement on how much longer Mack will coach. Muschamp already knew he could probably go out and get a Clemson/Tennesee-type job right after this season but getting a deal to take over a program like Texas is an unbelievable opportunity and I'm sure he's ready to make some sacrifices.

Well at the very least, we're locking up a DC for the next couple years which is something we haven't been able to do for a while.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Major Applewhite faints.

I really thought this was the plan for Major.

It's a bit of a surprising move...albeit the right one.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Either way y'all would go out and bring in an amazing one anyways. Probably from the Auburn farm system somehow.

18. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

What I ment to say is that now an end is in sight. That's what I find sad.

I should also correct my Osborne remark. It's not that Mack is retiring but that know where on the minds of the College football media during a bye week. Also, on thankgiving we're gonna be the only team playing and this news will dominate the broadcast of what otherwise would have been a boring ass raping of the Milkmen from College Station.

Very clever.

19. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

When I first read the title of the thread I also thought that Mack was stepping down, but after that article, I thought that it was genius move by the program. As stated earlier, we get to keep our coordinator for years and we have one of the up and comers for our next HC.

I'm proud that he and his family fell in love with Austin and the UT program. This will also have a good effect on recruiting.

Win-win-win for UT-Muschamp-Fans!

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow...this is a pretty new approach, huh? i don't recall seeing this kind of arrangement done so intentionally out ahead of time.