1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Used Car Advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, May 31, 2019.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Or Honda, the ones I see were all made in the USA.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'd definitely buy Toyota or Honda. I was giving my D&D answer since that's where he requested advice.

Nook, fchowd0311 and pirc1 like this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If I have a long work commute, I would get one. The acceleration is impressive but nothing is better than auto pilot.

Nook likes this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I watched Fog of War because you wrote something in here about it. Im pretty sure it was you. Had no idea about him before

B-Bob likes this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Man, your task looks difficult, JV. I bought a used 2002 Accord EX with leather (they call them an EX-L these days) from a friend of my sister's for $2,000 for our youngest kid, who was in his last year of college in Dallas at the time. It was about 2 years ago and the car was, quite literally, barely driven with 40,000 miles on the odometer. Taken to the dealer regularly for service. Put about $1500 into it, including replacing the tires (dry rot - it was barely driven!) and the thing runs like a champ. I knew it was an amazing deal, but didn't realize how amazing until looking on CarFax out of curiosity when I saw your post.

$4000 gets you perhaps a 2004-5 Honda (likely a Civic) with at least 150K, probably more like 175K+, unless you fall into a deal like I did. That's based on a quick look. My sister's friend had first mentioned wanting to sell that Accord about 7 years ago, and I immediately told her to let me know when she actually decided to do it, knowing the mileage. I'd given up on it when, out of the blue, she offered to sell the thing to me (wanted a new Accord). That's when having an older sister (yes, older than me!) with a bunch of equally old girlfriends who view cars like they are alien constructs comes in handy. The friend had just replaced the battery, so I insisted that I reimburse her, feeling like I was already robbing her blind. I had asked her what she wanted for it and never said a word about a price.

Just so you'll know, telling you about that deal was my form of punishment for posting this in the wrong forum! ;)

JuanValdez and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Buying used will help you avoid paying extra because of the tariffs.

That's as close as I can come to a political spin.

JuanValdez likes this.
  7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Make it a blue car.

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's a risk buying a used car that old. If you could find one that is a single owner that kept up with the maintenance, then maybe it would be a good car. I would say it's a needle in a haystack. I would up the budget a couple of thousand to find something a little bit newer.

JuanValdez likes this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Try to find a car with low mileage (under 80K) and less than 10 years old. Common things that can get costly to fix are the AC/compressor, transmission, catalytic converter, brake calipers/lines - have someone take a good look at the condition of these parts. Find out about previous owners and accidents as well.

JuanValdez likes this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, probably me. I love that movie. What'd you think?

The next documentary profile I want to see is Gorbachev by Werner Herzog.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If that's your budget, buy lowest mileage (regardless of manufacture year) Toyota Camry that fits your budget. Those things will hit half a million miles easily with proactive service. You will get the lowest labor charges because they're easy for mechanics to work on and you will get the parts easily because there's a lot of stock and tons of these vehicles floating around.

Hondas are fantastic but if you want to be extra nitpicky, an old automatic Honda is significantly more likely to make them cough up $$$ on transmission issues.

JuanValdez, B-Bob and fchowd0311 like this.
  12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You can pick up a barely used presidential limousine pretty cheap if you can wait till 2020.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Since we elected a used car salesman to run the country, I'd look at whitehouse.gov and see what they recommend.

FranchiseBlade and B-Bob like this.
  14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

You can get some older SUV's for that, and even less...and they will almost run forever. Built better, since they didn't have to worry so much about weight. You might look at some older Sedans as well. Yes, they don't get the gas mileage the Honda would...but that's also why they are cheap.

I would also suggest a leasing company like D&M, although most of their vehicles will be newer and out of that price range.

Look for something that has already had significant work done to it...an engine rebuild, etc . Does wonders for the longevity of the car, and doesn't add much if any to the selling price. This applies more to American makes, maybe...I think once the foreign makes start to go...they start to go. Also don't see a lot of rebuilt engines, etc for those.

JuanValdez likes this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Thanks everybody. I'll go with the consensus advice and change around the financing to do a younger car.