1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[usatoday] Michael Vick: I'm ready to take reins as Eagles' starter again

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Do you have a link or something that shows he lied and received more jail time? All I can find is he coped a plea bargain with his fellow defendants.

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8uQoPFHhyLg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8uQoPFHhyLg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This video applies to Vick, somewhat, but the thing about running QBs in the NFL is that most (like any other QB) need to win or at least be fairly capable passer or one who has really good strong arm. Hell, the ones who are big runners in college and average (and below average) in college don't even get drafted that high. Vick, like Cunningham, Culpepper, Tarkenton, and Steve (Young), even Kordell Stewart and Vince Young, none of those guys in that group is what you could call limp armed or weak passer arm. All of those guys could throw and were probably better than average vs. the average starter. WIth Vick, he did run the ball alot for any QB, but at that he could still beat you with his arm (even in Atlanta, he had games where he beat teams with his arm and not running very much, not every game, definitely at times).

I think when some make the argument you can't win the Super Bowl with a running QB. It's kind of a fallacy, for one it depends on the team he is with as well.

Im sure, if Cunningham was with a team that had great offensive talent, like the Lions did at the time (late 80s - early 90s) or the Redskins. If the Redskins won with Mark Rypien, Jay Schroder, and Doug Williams, how could Cunningham not win in situation, like great backfield, great offensive lines, and really receivers.

He would've took home at least on Super Bowl trophy or made at least one appearance. I'm pretty sure that Vick in his original Atlanta days would've had better passing numbers, if he were throwing to Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Alge Crumpler and had slightly better offensive line with a better coach. Most of the known QBs who were considered running QBs and were consistent starters, like anything else were starting because they were winning. I think that's error in judgement to watch Vick in Atlanta, and see him not win a Super Bowl and not make playoffs, or even McNabb in Philadelphia. And conclude, we'll running QBs just aren't good enough to win Championships. I think it's not really accurate for one, the sample size is much smaller for starting running QB.

What's the operating term for running QB, a guy who just runs alot vs. a guy who has a high ypc. Or a guy who is only skilled at running. It's very difficult to pinpoint. If a QB is on a team that is bursting with talent at every position and not getting things done, then ok ... then argument is justified. Or if the QB is simply not getting things done, as a starter or winning games that argument is justified. There are teams and QBs out there with good QBs who put up great passing numbers and are simply pocket QBs, yet they never win anything or miss the playoffs a couple of years (Jay Cutler, Carson Palmer, or even the underrated Neil Lomax). I think you would come to the same conclusions, their teams just aren't as good as the old 49ers or Patriots of the world.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Vick denied that he had any involvement in the kennel or the actions of the kennel. Later on he plead guilty to the acts. That's a lie.

The federal prosecutors asked for 12-18 months of prison time for Vick, he received 23.

And just in case you need a link:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071211...0/vick_1211.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Reid does a phenomenal job coaching quarterbacks. McNabb was successful, when he was injured and Feeley, Detmer and Garcia stepped in they did well too. Kolb looks like he will be a starter some where one day. I think coaching has a lot to do with it but you're the first person to actually bring it up. Good point.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

Were you sleep during the whole thing? Vick lied to Arthur Blank and lied in an interview during the draft or sometime during the off-season. He denied being involved from the start when all this came out. If he had came out and admitted it he most likely would not have been sentenced to two years in jial.

I'm one of Vick's biggest fans. I'm a Falcons fan and he is still my favorite player but the comparison to LeBron James made no sense. Two different situations and basically when Vick faced adversity when this all came out he didn't handle it well.

6. Joshfast

Supporting Member

Gracias, I didn't remember the exact details and couldn't find a link with them.

7. Joshfast

Supporting Member

My thoughts were after Lebron's "Decision," were he broke up with Cleveland on national TV, then how he pulled the race card and then creating his "get back at" lists etc - that Lebron is not handling the attention and adversity given to him by the announcement well IMO and that Vick had been handling his adverse situation better. I had forgot that Vick initially made poor decisions after he was caught that caused his situation to worsen - that's the reason i asked for the link. I do think a parallel could be drawn for Lebron in saying they both have not handled their respective situations well.

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Vick was never this good passing the ball, but he also never had WR's like this or more importantly, a good coaching staff known for offense (Reid is known for his QB work). Imagine if he had the support that Manning or Brady have had for their careers.

#88 Icehouse, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  9. Icehouse

His defenders should be passionate when folks start comparing a dude leaving as an unrestricted free agent (even if he was an ass about it) to someone committing an actual crime that cost them jail time and millions. The dude dropped a deuce on a team, the same way they drop deuces on players. Clearly not the best thing to do but let's not start comparing him to dog killing felons.

10. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Man, this dude is playing better then he did before he went to jail.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The old Vick didn't appreciate the position he was in and didn't work hard enough to maximize whatever he had. There is no reason to believe different coaching would have made a difference. You can't always (or even usually) blame circumstances for personal failure. The old Vick was, to be kind, not a good guy. Self-destructive people like him are doomed to eventually crash.

What would have certainly made a difference is if Vick had been motivated and driven during his entire NFL career instead of just the last 2 years. Manning and Brady aren't who they are just because of coaching. They've obviously benefited from good coaches but both guys have an internal drive to be great. Coaching hasn't made Manning workout like a complete freak during every offseason.

12. Asian Sensation

The best thing going for Vick is that it's not too late. He has a lot of things going for him to brew up the perfect storm in a good way.

- He's a few years younger than Manning and Brady at just 30 years of age.

- Consider the fact that he got to rest (sort of) for the last couple of years and not deal with the grueling season and punishment week in and week out.

- He's in a great situation in Philly with coaches, teammates, fan support etc. Eagles are young and talented and Vick has the tools that can make it happen. I would expect him to lead them deep into the playoffs for the foreseeable future granted he keeps working hard and stays focused.

13. Shaud

Shaud Member

Vick has to blame himself for being lazy but make no mistake the coaching staff we had in Atlanta was a joke.

The biggest mistake this franchise made was firing Dan Reeves and hiring Jim Mora.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

imagine if he didn't dog fight, I understand where you are coming from, but some of vick's earlier failings fall on him, he clearly is more focused.

that being said, he probably would have had better numbers, I don't believe he was completely self destructive, just not focused

15. Icehouse

I'm not trying to say Manning and Brady are what they are only do to coaching and teammates, but it's no question that good coaches and teammates help them out. I think Vick would have had more on the field success earlier on in his career if he had both of those things. Sometimes physical freaks can be successful just based on their physical gifts (see Shaq). The dude was still a pro bowler 3 times and led a team to the NFC title game when his best weapon was Warrick Dunn. Folks always claim what running QB's can and can't do. I think Vick could have been successful with good weapons even when he was a headcase.

16. Tizz

Tizz Member

LOL @ what Cardinals’ DL Darnell Dockett tweeted during that game:

“Vick Doing So Good, He Got Dogs Cheering For Him”