1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[usatoday] Michael Vick: I'm ready to take reins as Eagles' starter again

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Oct 25, 2010.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I remember this like it was yesterday. That play forever branded Michael Vick into my mind as the greatest running QB in NFL history. It isn't close.

As others have said, Vick was never this successful passing the ball. He is playing at a level beyond his years in Atlanta. What an amazing story! I hope he keeps his life together, makes a bunch of money and entertains NFL fans for several more years.

2. makman

makman Member

Last night was beyond insane. It was like a HS game where you know one player is just better than everyone else.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Good lord. Too bad there's no Auburn highlights in there. That was a real golden age of RBs...

4. Tizz

Tizz Member

Vick is actually the anti-Lebron right now if you think about it. He took his lumps and paid a pretty steep price for his dog fighting. He lost everything and spent time in jail. Never complained, never said he was treated unfairly, never blamed racism, and he came out a humble person - probably is now a much better human being than most NFL and NBA players. And he's getting good Karma from it. I like this story.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

jesus, now we're comparing lebron to felons, not even in the same league, stop hating

6. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I'll stop hating if you stop championing the ego maniacal race card using, "it's everyone's fault but me" billionaire.

I'm caffeinated and ready to argue this fresh topic bring it pgabriel.

:grin:

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I have to completely agree. The herd-mentality of the LeBron hatred is out of control.

At the same time, Vick is just coming out of my "doghouse". I don't want to be premature because we'll see how he reacts after huge money is thrown at him again, but he can be an amazing inspirational story of redemption. Only time will tell. It's one thing to stay focused when fighting uphill like he has the last 2 years. What will happen when he gets on top and "everybody" loves him again? Will Vick be able to handle success in the long term?

I sure hope so.

8. Joshfast

Supporting Member

I disagree, people will calm down when it's run its course. He has tons of defenders too - passionate defenders at that.

Time will tell but I think he's doing the right things so far. America will forgive almost anyone if they man-up and accept the consequences of their actions.

9. Tizz

Tizz Member

What the hell are you talking about? I'm not comparing Lebron to a felon, I'm comparing HOW each guy has handled adversity - and if Lebron would have handled his adversity like Vick has, there would be a lot less haters out there. There is no way you can disagree with what I just said.

I'm a huge Lebron supporter by the way, read the NBA dish. You jumped the gun.

10. Asian Sensation

I think a lot of people are elated simply based on the performance he gave last night (rightfully so... I know I am) and that’s what sports and superstar athletes can do for some people but even if he wasn’t having an “MVP” type season I gotta give the guy major props.

I think fighting that uphill battle is a testament in itself and shows a tremendous amount of resiliency. A lot of people in similar situations would have probably wilted and fallen off completely. I think he’s been lucky to have been surrounded by some great people but a lot of it comes from within. He’s been nothing but a hard worker from the time he’s been a free man and it shows. He also seems very humble and genuinely grateful for the opportunity in all of his interviews especially yesterday’s post game interviews.

11. Asian Sensation

I still can't get over last nights performance. His dominance ranks right up there with some of the all time great performances I've ever witnessed. Jordan in his prime... Tiger during his stretch...Hakeem's title runs....Kobe's 81....Wade's Finals etc.

Watching Haynesworth give up on that play where he fell and just layed there reminded me of Craig Ehlo when Jordan hit that jumper. Hopeless opponent can't do anything.

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

If Vick handled adversity he would not have went to jail in the first place

13. Asian Sensation

If Vick never went to prison he may have never grown up to be the type of football player he is today or be a changed person for the better (as it seems). Sometimes things happen for a reason that change your life. Hopefully, going to prison was the best thing that could have ever happened to Vick. I hope we're far from seeing the best.

14. Joshfast

Supporting Member

Dog fighting is adversity? Dog fighting is just stupid.

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

True I'm just saying the LeBron James situation is different. Who could Vick blame for what he did?

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

Vick lied about doing it. If he had handled it better he would not have gotten as much time as he did.

So yes he failed at handling adversity.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The passion of LeBron's so-called "tons of defenders" doesn't begin to approach the level of hatred from many of his detractors. It's not even debatable. We'll see how this runs it's course.

18. makman

makman Member

It is stupid but was made a bigger deal out of it than it should have been. Going to prison/ losing 100+ million is adversity.

19. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I'm a big bandwagoner of Vick. Loved him when he was with Falcons (due to Madden). Disliked him for dogfighting but he's served his time. No need to hold a grudge on a guy who has served out his term.

He's worked his ass off along with a bit of luck to get to where he is right now. The fact that he's performing at this level after missing 2 years of football and considering he had never been a very good passer before his term is amazing.

Go Vick, the guy is definitely an MVP candidate and I wish him nothing but success for many years to come

20. Joshfast

Supporting Member

Completely disagree. The passion to defend Lebron is just as bat**** insane as found in NBA dish or anywhere.