1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[USA Today] James Harden has a defense for his criticized defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Oct 21, 2014.

1. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

In the article this thread is about...

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

If that is your definition, hardly anyone in the game threads (let alone the GARM) can be considered a fan.

But I see your point

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Let's see if this talk results to play on the court.

Until then we can only hope....

4. FeaR

FeaR Member

I expect from him not to sleep on defense(backdoor,Wide open shots etc) and opposing players score easy points but i don't believe he will become a good defender. I am okay with that.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You know I don't read longer than 3 sentences.

6. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

A CF member created the video.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

We sports fans are generally not as fanatical as we make ourselves out to be...but I consider that a good thing. I know that most sports fans do not have unconditional love towards their team even though the strict dictionary definition of fanatic would require it.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think the fanaticism of sports fans is that no matter how much they criticize the team, they still blindly love it.

9. Karolik

Karolik Member

I'm still happy ******** made the video, because now now we will know whether Harden will ever improve on defense. If he doesn't improve now he never will and we can all just give up hope.

10. SemisolidSnake

James, I don't care if you're a leader or not. In fact, I'd prefer Dwight be the team leader and you just score, score, score.

It's interesting that he's confirming what I've observed and mentioned in numerous posts: he can play defense when he wants to. He just has to actually want to, i.e. concentrating on both ends of the floor for 48 minutes. I hope he's developed the mentality he himself claims he needs by the start of the season.

At his pay and for his number of the years in the league, this question of concentration and full effort shouldn't even be on the radar anymore. My suggestion would that he get a personal coach to expedite the process: J.J. Watt.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We criticize our team because we care about our team. Go watch the new tmnt movie and insert Ralph speech here.

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

In all honesty, I am too. The fact that Morey and Harden are talking about it means there was something to talk about. Perhaps it serves as a little added motivation outside of the obvious reasons.

13. shsu33

shsu33 Member

By your theory, cluthfans then created said member.
    He or she could have still made video and posted to youtube w/o creation of CF's and still be around 1.4 mil views.

14. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

That's fair. Obviously Harden's defense isn't that bad on a consistent basis. It's a lowlight video. It highlights shortcomings just like a highlight video will make players look better than they actually are.

But Morey knows as well as anyone that the lowlight video could have been much longer. The initial edit was more than twice as long and that's with me not specifically looking out for Harden sucking on D and not caring save clips of every possession that I did see him suck.
    I didn't think anyone would care for such a long video though, so I narrowed it down to what seemed like a more reasonable length. According to my youtube analytics the average viewer only watched 2:46, so obviously most considered it way too long as is.

I do think that the hate/mocking of Harden's D has gotten a little out of control. His defense was pretty damn bad last year (and Morey is on record saying basically just that), which is why I thought it was worthy of being pointed out. Not sure we now need to point out every time he isn't awesome on defense, act like he's consistently that bad or that he's the only superstar who takes plays off.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Can you make a video of Mchale bad coaching so Morey can see?

16. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I think the criticism of Harden by most people outside of CF is the result of the Rockets being a winning team and James being our most consistent player during the regular season. James is one of those guys that drives you crazy when he starts to take over; especially if he's getting to the line.

I'd wager most people who use that video as ammo against James's game aren't impartial at all. We're all homers to an extent. Look at fans reaction to the Abbott article about Kobe. A vast majority of fans around the league (from what I've seen) are taking it as gospel. Laker fans are ready to riot.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Thanks for creating it.

Please make one of McHale's inept, pathetic, clueless, school boy like coaching so Morey can see that too because it seems like Morey is blind to the joke of a coach that is McHale.

18. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Morey already knows, that's why we had a search for an asst coach this summer and ended up hiring T. R. Dunn.

19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Looking forward to some defense from James HarDen!!:eek:

20. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Actually, some definitions are excessive zeal. So what you do with the energy is up to you. Creating a 10 minute video of a player on your team falls under that category regardless of it being critical or not.