1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[US Soccer] March Matches vs. Ecuador & Guatemala

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by halfbreed, Mar 23, 2007.

1. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Landon has great speed and finishing and plays his best when he's allowed to use them as we saw yesterday. At this point Ching/Landon is our best forward combo, they compliment each other well and have a good understanding of what the other is doing.

Is anybody heading up to Dallas for the game on Wednesday?

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I'm sorry. I didn't know Brazil didn't make the second round.

Ronaldinho sure caused havoc and got the attention for Ze Roberto to stand out. Whom did LD benefit? How far did EE.UU. go? :cool:

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I wouldn't go that far and I'm a fan of US Soccer. It's great to see him producing again. It's sure been a while. It seems that Bradley is getting something out of him that Arena wasn't. I don't know if it is formation or if it's that he's just figured something out. I still say he should go to Europe before it's too late.

4. SwoLy-D

He's gonna get homesick again, leroy420. :p

5. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Yeah because going to Europe did so much for DaMarcus Beasley, right?

I don't understand the incessant cries for him to goto Europe. The guy is amazing and feels that this is the best place for him to build his talent and this summer he'll be hooking up with David Beckham.

I think going to Europe actually tends to stifle the growth of a lot of players.

6. leroy

And it's done good things for Onyewu, Cherundolo, Howard, Keller, Friedel, Convey, Eddie Lewis, Bocanegra, etc., etc.

Donovan has hit a plateau playing in the MLS. Yes, playing with Beckham MIGHT help some. If Beckham has any cojones, he'll tell LD to to over. Certainly not back to Germany where he clearly will not be comfortable. Maybe he'd be better in England or Holland. Maybe not. He is a very talented player. There is more to it than that. Scoing goals in these friendlies is nothing. It'll help his confidence. We'll just have to see what he does this summer in the Copa & Gold Cup.

7. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I think Landon should give the EPL a chance at least. There are enough of his teammates from the US Natl. team playing there to make him feel at home, if that is the main sticking point with him.
    No one, including the fans of the Tri's, can doubt that he has the talent, but I think there is something lacking mentally that playing overseas could help. Either that or get him one of the Brasilian's psychologists.

8. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

I don't know if Landon's hit a plateau or not.

I do know that while the strikes on the first and especially third goals looked more spectacular and certainly took a lot of skill, the breakaway speed and cool, perfectly placed finish on the second goal - much like his goal against Mexico - are a big part of what you want in a top-shelf goalscorer. If he gets even the tiniest opening past the defense, you can pretty much put it on the board, and that's invaluable, since a lot of guys lose their composure in such situations.

9. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I don't know if going to Europe will make Landon any better or not, but it would at least show that he actually cares. As it is he seems like he's perfectly happy to be an ok player and never really challenge himself.

10. halfbreed

Here's a heads up for those of you wanting to catch a glimpse at the possible future of the US strike force.

Before the game vs. Guatemala on Wednesday, the US U-20 team will play a friendly against Haiti. For those of you with tickets to the US vs. Guatemala game, this game will be played immediately before it and your ticket is good for that. If not, the game will be broadcast on the internet via ussoccer.com's MATCHACCESS.

I bring that up because there's a nice young crop of players involved in the U-20's. Freddy Adu is the biggest name but also you'll get a chance to check out Josmer Altidore and Gabriel Enzo Ferrari. Ferrari recently declared his allegiance to the United States (over Italy). He plays for Serie A side Sampdoria. These two could be the future faces of the US squad. Here's Ferrari in his first game against SMU. He scored two goals and Adu added a third as the US won 3-2.

[​IMG]

11. halfbreed

Bumping this to the top to give everyone a heads up that today's game vs. Guatemala is set for 8 p.m. and will be aired on ESPN2 and Galavision.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

great! thanks for the heads up!

13. Zac D

I won't be home in time to catch the youth game online.

Is it possible to capture video from MATCHACCESS?

If so, anyone want to?

This is all I've seen of Altidore and I'd like to see more:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BOY-e7xHM8k"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BOY-e7xHM8k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

:eek:

14. leroy

I'll definitely be watching the first half tonight, then switch to the Rockets. Since I live in Austin and don't have $180 for LP, it's one of the few games I get to see.

I know there will be some lineup changes. I'd like to see 90 minutes of Ching and Donovan up front, though.

At some point, Gulati is going to have to pay real attention to the results. This team is playing for Bradley. I'd still like to see a bit better defending, but that should come when they have a full squad. I'd really like to see someone standout in central midfield and take it over.

3-0 win tonight w/ Donovan getting 1 more.

15. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Here's the starting XI for the US:

Keller

Spector
    Demerit
    Conrad
    Simek

Dempsey
    Bradley
    Feilhaber
    Mapp

Donovan
    Johnson

This will be the first cap for both Demerit and Simek. I'll be interested to see the central midfield of Bradley and Feilhaber, it's one we might see for a long time. How many chances is Eddie Johnson going to get? What has he done in the last two years? I would have liked to see Donovan and Cooper up front, but I like the rest of the starting XI.

16. Zac D

Yeah man - apart from Johnson up front, that's a pretty exciting lineup to see together.

17. leroy

I really don't like Carlos Ruiz. He just kicked Conrad in the face. Playing hard and playing dirty are 2 completely different things.

18. SwoLy-D

Don't know why they keep putting Johnson in there... he hasn't scored since... oh, I don't know... years? :confused:

Anyway... nice of the Estados Unidos to get games against scrubs. Gets their confidence going. Keller on the posts is enough. Nothing's gonna go through unless it's a 3-1 counter from the Chapines.

WE HATE ANYONE WHO PLAYS FOR DALLAS [any team], leroy420.

19. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

This match has borefest written all over it. Guatamala are playing 10 men behind the ball, refusing to attack or give the US any space with the ball.

20. SwoLy-D

Yeah... really... RF007... what kind of game is that...? :rolleyes: ;)

You know what I mean, freaksters. Anyway, EE.UU refuses to touch the ball on the ground to establish a passing game, and they continue to do the long ball and betting on a mistake from Guaty. Not gonna work, ladies.

Galavision commentators adding a little spice to an otherwise boring game... they say: "This game needs a goal. No one wants it." :D

Referee is Mexican World Cup veteran Archundia, for whatever that's worth.