1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Urban Meyer placed on administrative leave

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Aug 1, 2018.

1. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Heard on Cowherd his only shot to stay and maybe have a career is if he lied to media but actually reported it to superiors in 2015.

2. TheresTheDagger

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-replacement-bob-stoops-ohio-state/891369002/
    • Among several college athletics insiders, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the situation, the consensus Thursday in analyzing a potential Ohio State coaching search was that Stoops would be in a class by himself as a candidate for the job with a fairly clear drop-off to the next tier of options. What’s less certain is whether the 57-year old Stoops, who somewhat surprisingly walked away from Oklahoma last summer, has any desire to coach again. Those who know Stoops best tend to believe he’s done, but he’s careful not to close the door. “Sometimes you get in life something you don’t like … you have to do something different,” he told USA TODAY Sports in December. “But I don’t see that happening with me.”
    • Though Texas coach Tom Herman’s name would be widely associated with an opening at Ohio State, there’s skepticism across the industry that he’d be a real candidate for a variety of reasons including timing, having just entered his second year at Texas.

• Other notable names such as Washington’s Chris Petersen, Stanford’s David Shaw and TCU’s Gary Patterson come up in every high-profile coaching search, but they have remained unmovable to this point.
    • Virginia Tech’s Justin Fuente would have the temperament and coaching chops to thrive in the Big Ten and South Carolina’s Will Muschamp could put himself back on the map for a blueblood job if the Gamecocks have the kind of season they expect. Baylor’s Matt Rhule and Minnesota’s P.J. Fleck showed big-time potential in turning around Group of Five schools but haven’t had time to show they can do it yet in the Power Five.
    • Among that tier, the name that makes the most sense is Iowa State’s Matt Campbell, the 38-year old from Massillon, Ohio, who played at the storied Division III powerhouse Mount Union and emerged as a hot coaching prospect by going 35-15 at Toledo. Leading Iowa State to 8-5 last year, including a victory over Oklahoma, was a coaching achievement that would certainly put him on Ohio State’s radar.
    • The other X-factor would be how Day performs as the interim coach. The 39-year old offensive whiz from the Chip Kelly tree has a low profile nationally but a good reputation within the industry. Frankly, not knowing much about him may be to Ohio State’s benefit in the near term. If he took over a uniquely chaotic situation and made the College Football Playoff anyway, it would certainly say a lot about his future as a head coach whether in Columbus or elsewhere.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Hard to imagine someone that high up volunteering to fall on this sword.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  6. gucci888

From a football perspective , ya it's Stoops and then everyone else. Would be interesting to see if they would go that route knowing that Joe Mixon video would start playing over and over again with an Ohio State headline over it.

I like Matt Campbell a lot. Think it'd still be tough to gauge him and his recruiting abilities even with another good season but think he's a damn good coach.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

#28 J.R., Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Zach Smith on @1057TheZone right now: "I've never committed domestic abuse against her."

Zach Smith: "I was not a good husband. I pushed her buttons. I could make her mad easily. There's a lot of things I did wrong. That's between her and I. There was never domestic abuse. I never hit her. Never got arrested. Never got charged."

Zach Smith says he was out recruiting and got a call from Gene Smith to come home, re: the 2015 incident.

Zach Smith: Urban and Shelley Meyer "weren't really involved" at all in 2015.

Zach Smith says he never talked to Urban Meyer about the 2015 investigation. "It was just a marital problem I had." Says he thought it should stay between he and Courtney.

Did you stalk her at any time? Zach Smith: "Absolutely not."

Zach Smith on how he thinks Gene Smith found out about the 2015 incident: "I don't know this for a fact, but I believe the Powell Police Department contacted Ohio State. Not Urban, but the university."

Zach Smith asked about the photos of Courtney's bruises and if they're authentic. "I'm not discounting that they aren't. I don't know where they are from. There were several times things got out of hand between us and I may have restrained her to get out of the house."

Zach Smith: "No one did anything illegal. This should have stayed behind closed doors so our kids don't have to deal with this."

Zach Smith appearing on @1057TheZone, asked if he had an explanation for photos, allegations: "All I can really say is we had a volatile relationship. It was toxic and at the end, it needed to end. I've never committed domestic abuse against her."

"There are times when things got out of hand and I had to restrain her, or defensively move out of the situation leave and sleep at my office."

"There are thousands of things I regret when things got volatile. None of it was physical." "The only thing that needs to be cleared up is that there was no domestic abuse."

On what Urban Meyer knew in 2015: "To be honest, that's all confusing to me. When I heard he said that at Big Ten Media Days, my initial reaction was he was responding to the storyline out there that I was arrested for felonious abuse, which never happened."

"The only thing I can come up with is that he was reacting to me being arrested. Plenty of people knew of the allegation that was brought to the Powell Police."

Zach Smith: "I found out about the allegation [in October 2015] because Gene Smith told me. He said I had to be on the next flight home."

Zach Smith, again on @1057TheZone on why he was terminated: "I don't think it was warranted. The problem was it was going to be unfair for the players, the fans, the whole university, to go through the media uproar."

"I believe and still believe it was behind closed doors between a husband and a wife. It was not illegal. I never saw a police officer in any of these situations."

Zach Smith on @1057TheZone asked if he stalked Courtney Smith: "Absolutely not."

Zach Smith on how Gene Smith found out about the 2015 incident: "I don't know this for a fact, but I believe the Powell Police Department contacted Ohio Statenot Urban, but the university."

Asked about the photos, whether they are authentic: "I'm not discounting that. I don't know where or what they are from. I have no idea. There were several times things got out of hand between us and I may have restrained her to get out of the house."

"I still was in love with her, despite everything. There were times when I was jealous, but I don't believe I ever threatened her."

On kids: "That's the sad part. In my opinion, there was nothing illegal. It should have stayed behind closed doors so my kids didn't have to deal."

#29 J.R., Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  10. gucci888

This is getting messy. Smith denying any abuse and calling ex a liar and saying both Urban and AD knew of allegations. Urban saying he had no idea at media days but then said he did elevate to proper channels.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I understand cynicism that still believes this will blow over, but IMO a thinking person has to now believe it's >50% Urban Meyer will not return. Ohio State's athletic program is too valuable to risk. This is NOT a Nick Saban at Alabama situation.

Regarding, potential replacements mentioned above:

I don't think Bob Stoops fits there and he sure sounded like a guy who had given up the game for good.

Chris Peterson has too much integrity to coach at a place like Ohio State. OSU is the dirtiest school in the Big Ten. Athletically, they would fit very well in the SEC. [Confession: I'm a Purdue grad].

It would be surprising if David Shaw even wanted the job.

PJ Fleck is a real trip. Not sure how many here know much about him. Regardless, he isn't ready yet for a job like OSU.

LOL, obviously it won't be Tom Herman.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. Nook

Nook Member

Translation:

“Yeah we’re all good! War Buckeyes! Oh by the way Urban will not be taking any media questions this year. Ohio State replica jerseys are on sale in the commons.. ten cents from every jersey will go to fight domestic abuse.” The Ohio State University

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Didn't realize a preseason football press conference was under oath. The media should go back review all sports press conferences to find the liars. There could be more lives to ruin before the season starts if the hurry.

15. gucci888

So we’re pretty much left with 3 scenarios right?

1. Urban knew and tried to sweep under the rug.

2. Urban elevated the issue to the AD who tried to sweep under the rug.

3. All parties followed protocol and believed Zach Smith’s side of the story but yet still fired him.

#35 gucci888, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Nook likes this.
  16. ipaman

Breaking down something as complicated a relationships, marriage, potential abuse, law, etc... into a list of 3 rigid and short statements is ridiculous.

Sports and/or public figures be damned. The complicated private matters between relationships, employers, lawyers, and law enforcement should be private. It's not sports at all. Today's lack of privacy or disregard for privacy is terrible and frankly this aspect of today's society sucks.

17. Major

Major Member

Except the employer is a taxpayer funded entity. It's decisions are designed to be overseen by public scrutiny. This isn't about the coach that got fired -it's about the honesty and integrity of an employee employed by a taxpayer-funded public university. Coaches don't get a lot of leeway when caught in a lie, regardless of domestic violence. I believe George O'Leary got dropped by Notre Dame a few days after getting the job because he lied about an irrelevant thing on his resume - and that's not even a public university.

Nook likes this.
  18. ipaman

Well you're preaching to the choir because I'm one of those folks who thinks public schools, at any level, should NOT have competitive sports. So if you want to make that argument that's a different conversation altogether and I'll go way further then you would. As it stands that's not the way public schools are ran so I prefer to leave private matters private especially when there are parties involved that DO NOT work for or represent any public institution, specifically the wife, kids, and related family in this case. Or do you disregard them?

19. gucci888

Ridiculous? Maybe. Wrong? Not sure but we’ll see.

With regards to sports, specifically college sports, keeping things private is the exact problem we had at Penn State, Baylor, and now Ohio State. The lack of privacy is not what sucks in these cases, it’s the fact that people will hide pedophiles, muderers, rapists, and absuers for the sake of winning.

#39 gucci888, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Nook and Newlin like this.
  20. gucci888

You understand that Zach Smith’s wife is the one that went public with this right?