1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unofficial Texans' off season thread for 2014.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Jan 9, 2014.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lol, please. You know damn well that I'm pessimistic about this org and that's prepared me for the **** show more often than not. You see talent and I see garbage. Their record last season justifies my logic. But hey, whateves just posting my opinion on an Internet message board.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The entire team had an off-year. Seems that the tide going down lowered every boat. The only person who didn't see reduced production was pretty much Andre. Although his YPC went significantly down.

If you're a good LT on a crappy OL, your overall performance will go down. Your teammates missing assignments will affect your game, and vice versa.

Same for a DE whose DT and OLB friends can't ever draw or beat a double-team.

Those performances bleed into each other.

Nobody on the Texans is as bad as they performed last year. Law of averages ftw.

3. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Oh, I know you're the resident pessimist. However, acting like anybody who thinks this team isn't hot dog vomit is a sunshine pumping homer gets old. Pending average to below-average QB play, do you really think the idea of us winning 9 games and being in the wild-card chase is that out of the question next year?

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I agree. Just a note though, I think PFF graded 2013 as Watt's best year.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

We'd have to hit a home run at QB for that to happen. I don't see them passing on Clowney so you're now asking them to hit a homerun on a 2nd/3rd round QB or one via FA/Trade. Thats like hitting the lotto.

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The PFF grade is on a curve year to year and by position only.

IOW, they said 2013 he was better than the next best 3-4 DE by a larger margin than he was in 2012, even though 2012 was his best year performance-wise.

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

A homerun? For a QB to put up Jake Locker, Carson Palmer, Mike Glennon type numbers?

That seems more like a stand-up double to me.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

Who's being the pessimist now? Lol.

Btw, I've never thought numbers win games. If that were the case then I would want Schaub to be the QB. Remember, law of averages FTW lol.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Duane Brown argument makes no sense. Plenty of other places to pick on.

10. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

11. REEKO_HTOWN

That's why I said, "to an extent". I didn't say he wasn't good. He'd be perfect if not for his contract.

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Um, you?

What's pessimistic about thinking we can have a QB perform on that level next year without it having to be a near miracle?

You probably don't like Morey much, then.

Schaub isn't as bad as last year, but he's also 32, not going to get any better than he already has been, and is on a large contract. Would we win more games with Schaub next year than a cold-turkey rookie? Probably, but the QB question is a long term decision. You and I both know that. Ftw lolololol.

13. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Foster could be iffy, but has been spotted doing backflips so I say he is good to go.
    AJ still has a good couple of years in him.
    Hopkins will have a breakout year if we get a decent passer in here.
    Cushing's recovery is much further advanced than last season as it was not as serious this time.
    Swearinger will solidify his talent.
    Duane Brown will continue to be solid.
    JJ is JJ - 'nuff said.
    We have some good talent on this team - make no mistake about it.
    This is a good draft and we have 9 picks to play with and a new bunch of coaches with plenty to prove.
    A turnaround is the most likely scenario for mine.

14. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

The only problem is that talent really drops off after there. I still worry Foster will have durability issues, I'm hopefully Hopkins and Swearinger will improve, and even though Cushing's injury's were due to freak plays, a 2nd surgery worries me that it will not hold up as well. Could be wrong on that last issue, the knee might be even stronger, I just don't know.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Texans released Owen Daniels</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/443412231732994048">March 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

One down, more to go.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Damn, I've been thinking that was going to happen, but I thought he gave himself a shot by asking to be re-structured.

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Made of glass. Pass.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Free agent DE Antonio Smith: &quot;I have visits to Washington, Tennessee, the Rams then Oakland.&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/443478590089621505">March 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Antonio Smith: &quot;My heart's with (Texans), but they haven't made a proposal, so I'm taking these (four) visits.&quot;</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/443478767432777728">March 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Free agent DE Antonio Smith:&quot;The Texans said that they are very interested in signing me...but they want to C what the market is on me.&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/443478832683970560">March 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

20. mhch720

mhch720 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Antonio Smith signed 5-year deal with Texans and is very durable. Can play inside in 4-3 or outside in a 3-4. Good against run, team leader</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/443479030541451264">March 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

wat