1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unless the #1 gets us Garnett, Duncan or Nowitzki, draft Ming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, May 20, 2002.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have seen some proposals on this board like trading the #1 and stuff for Odom and stuff or even worse proposals. Sorry, but I think now that we have the incredible luck of having the # 1, we should be able to do better. To get Garnett (maybe a 20 % chance), Duncan or Nowitzki (both unrealistic), I would trade the No. 1 and throw in anything except Francis, Mobley, Griffin.

But for anything else, I would not give up the No. 1. Yes, obviously, we all don't really know anything about Ming, but the upside is just too huge.

These are my two dream scenarios:

1) If there is a chance to get Garnett

a) Trade Cato, Rice, Taylor and the No. 1 for Garnett.
    b) Then draft Marcus, Borchardt or Hilario with the # 15.

The beauty of this would be that we could get rid of all our overpriced contracts in one go, plus we would get one of the absolute top players in the game. Imagine this:

PG: Francis, Moochie
    SG: Mobley, Torres
    SF: Garnett, Morris
    PF: Griffin, Thomas
    C: Marcus, Collier (this would be the only weak position, but it can't really get worse than it is now with Cato)

2) If we cannot get Garnett

a) Trade Mo Taylor and our first-round pick next year (lottery protected) and whatever else they want other than Francis, Mobley, Griffin for Rashard Lewis (sign and trade). I remember very well that Seattle did have a strong interest in Mo Taylor at some point. Now, if Rashard is serious about what he said about wanting to play in Houston, he should be willing to go for a contract somewhere near what Mo is getting - maybe a bit more, which I believe we could do if we threw in, let's say, Collier or so.

b) Draft Yao Ming with the No. 1

c) Draft Hilario with the No. 15.

d) Somehow make a small trade to get a chance to draft Juan Dixon

Lineup:

PG: Francis, Moochie
    SG: Mobley, Dixon, Torres
    SF: Lewis, Rice, Morris
    PF: Griffin, Thomas, Hilario
    C: Yao Ming, Cato

Bingo!

Next task: Try to trade Cato for whatever.

2. Darth West

Darth West Member

This is the exact reason why Minnesota wouldnt do it ... they would be stuck with crappy contracts and thus their rebuliding would be seriously hampered ...

At the moment your first unprotected pick belongs to us, Memphis, so unless you send us a top13 pick this year that trade would be impossible ... personally I hope that you are equally lucky in next years lottery ... ;) ... but then again depending on what you do with the no1 pick you might not even be lottery bound next year ... :)

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Something crazy to think about: What if Yao Ming's NBA position is not center??

Yes, he is 7'5 but Garnett is about 7'0 and his position is SF or perhaps PF. Wang Zhi-Zhi is about 7'1 and his position is probably also SF or PF, not C.

In that case, if it was possible, to trade # 1 and everything except Francis, Mobley, Griffin for someone like Garnett makes even more sense, if you then draft someone like Marcus with # 15.