1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

University Instructor Fired for Showing Islamic Art

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by durvasa, Jan 8, 2023.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Fired due to a student complaint over depiction of Muhammad, despite students being given ample opportunity to object beforehand.

This isn’t too far from where I live. This is obviously not how schools should handle such complaints.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Kick the student out.....

DD

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Is this the OnlyFans thing?

Xerobull likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I have studied all of the major religions… they all have flaws but Islam sucks the most.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This firing is ridiculous. Woke dumbasses.

tinman likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Woke people hate art

7. Nook

Nook Member

I’m not even sure they are woke idiots… my guess is those complaining would have no problem banning all other religions and oppressing women. Then again, the idiots that bent to the criticism were likely woke or cowards. Not sure which is worse.

Don’t move to the West and complain that an historical figure is depicted in pictures and paintings because your faith doesn’t like it.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, those are the ones I meant.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven’t heard of this before and haven’t heard any coverage locally in MN. Although I’ve been out of Mn until yesterday. Hamline is a private university so there isn’t an issue of government here but I still don’t agree with it from a learning standpoint.

To note there were previous prohibitions in Judaism and Christianity over the portrayals of God. There were previous prohibitions on the depiction of the Buddha in early Buddhism. I wouldn’t agree if people protested an art history teacher over those.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So now woke includes religious-based intolerance. Lol.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Clearly you did not understand.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

your ai engine is too limited to understand what I stated

IBTL likes this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

More details - WHO BELONGS? – The Oracle (hamlineoracle.com)

No, it's not how it should be handled.

"In the video of the class, the professor gives a content warning and describes the nature of the depictions to be shown and reflects on their controversial nature for more than two minutes before advancing to the slides in question."

In the Oct. 8 email to Wedatalla, the professor stated that they “[let] the class know ahead of time” what would be shown and to give students time to turn off their video.

I don't think 2min is ample opportunity but is reasonable.

“I am showing you this image for a reason. And that is that there is this common thinking that Islam completely forbids, outright, any figurative depictions or any depictions of holy personages. While many Islamic cultures do strongly frown on this practice, I would like to remind you there is no one, monothetic Islamic culture,” the professor said before changing to the slide that included these depictions.

Attendees also discussed the delayed email from the Dean of Students. Kersten clarified that the official determination of the recent incident was that it was an act of intolerance, it would not be classified as a hate crime, which the university is required to send emails about."

"Kersten noted that Hamline is in the process of rolling out a “
    diversity component” for new students beyond orientation. Mood suggested that all faculty could be required to take a training on Islamophobia."

“All of those things needed to take place and so that was more of a contributing factor to the timing of when the email went out, versus whether it was deemed a hate crime or not,” Everett said. “In lieu of this incident, it was decided it was best that this faculty member was no longer part of the Hamline community.”

Mood recognizes that this is only another step in the process of making the campus more inclusive.

This was clearly not Islamophobia. The idea of diversity and tolerance is all lost and twisted here.

The university basically said only conservative Muslims should be respected and not the moderate Muslims who don't give a damn about artistic depiction and want to study these historic depictions. And what about non-Muslims who are interested in learning historical religious arts? Diversity in teaching includes all scholarly ideas, not just ideas that a minority or even majority reject.

Tolerance is not a one-way street. Tolerance is the ability to accept difficulty by all parties. The inability to do so and forcing others to be tolerant of their difficulty is itself an intolerance.

These things aren't black or right - there is a middle ground. I think what the professor did was the middle ground and what this school did was extreme (likely cowards that were afraid of a severe backlash from the Muslim community). I see parallel to the extreme right and religious right here as well with their intolerance of the right of others (abortion as an example), of other religions in school (I don't have to give examples of these), of other actions they don't approve (masking or living extremely carefully against covid as an example), and of others race and religion in society in general.

mdrowe00, jiggyfly, Nook and 2 others like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Sorry, buddy.

Carry on.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I would have fallen in a faint if ATW had not liked this post. Thankfully I am all good.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I largely agree with this. This clearly wasn’t done out of hatred or intolerance of Islam. It wasn’t done out of fear of Islam but an attempt to understand the history and depiction of Islam. It would be like a current Catholic demanding a history professor be fired for teaching about the Gnostic Gospels. Yes the Catholic doctrine rejects them but that didn’t mean they didn’t exist historically.

dmoneybangbang and mdrowe00 like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

The Catholic Church has its own issues and failings, but the Catholic Church still teaches about the Gnostic Gospels at Catholic schools and colleges. A number of Jesuits for example study them. They typically will teach them from an historic perspective and philosophical. They will give the historical basis that the Church doesn’t recognize them - but that’s it.

The teachings of Islam and the interpretation of the faith in the year 2023 will never allow this type of study or understanding to happen. It’s why IMO it is the worst of the major faiths in 2023.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes and there probably are Islamic scholars who are aware that depictions of Mohammed were made and study them even if they are widely rejected by most current interpretations.

This situation would be like if a lay Catholic complained that a religious history class the professor said in early Christianity there were many Gospels. Then demanded that professor be fired for blasphemy.

Nook likes this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Obviously some one/people ratted the professor out.

Instructor shouldn't have been fired. Probably easier to because they were an "adjunct professor." Folks who stay longer usually have friends to protect them from infractions that are way more egregious.

20. Buck Turgidson

"Hamline University"

KingCheetah likes this.