1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unfit for Command? New anti-kerry ad

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No, you related your unflattering "version" of events, without a bit of support, and I laid out what people actually did during the war, which both of us are old enough to remember. You saying, "The truth lay somewhere in between, I imagine." implies just that, something you imagined.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

If you look at the last two pages of threads, here's what we have...

Anti-Kerry Threads...

Did Kerry commit Treason?
    John Kerry Crushes Dissent
    John Kerry's Blue Ties aren't dark enough
    Kerry flubs a throwaway line
    Kerry and THK have shouting match
    Kerry Lied about Cambodia
    Kerry is unfit for command

Anti-Bush threads...

Job growth is weak
    Plame Investigation
    Republican plans to go negative at the convention
    Chalabi and son charged with counterfeiting and murder
    Iraq developments
    Exposure of Al-Q double agent
    Torture in Iraq
    Bush's statements on Tax policy
    1990's video of Bush drunk at wedding
    Cost of Iraq War
    WMD's
    Bush's economic policy

Pro-Kerry Threads...

The Kerry Rally
    Protestors at rallies

Pro-Bush Threads...

Media bias moves a voter towards bush
    Why Chance will vote for Bush

(There are others that could fit into a category, but these were the most obvious. Some, like the debate thread really favored no candidate.)

A comparison between the negative threads are most telling...

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Excellent summary rim.

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

That's because one guy is the president of the United States and the other guy as an absentee senator in the campaign trail.

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

giddy that doesn't even make sense

6. giddyup

Here's my major post on this topic:

"I heard that when Kerrry volunteered for the swift boats, they were assigned duty off the coast of Viet Nam. In the interim, their duty changed to one more dangerous and hazardous on the delta.

Is that not true? I'm only asserting that that is what I heard.

And what about the volunteerism... so he wouldn't be drafted. Is that a lie or possibly the truth?"

<b>How in the world is this my unflattering version of events? I count 2 "I heards" and 2 distinct requests for validation.</b>

7. giddyup

How not? Kerry is doing nothing but campaigning. What else is there to criticize?

8. mc mark

I don't know? His 19 year senate record?

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Again, why would you assume the worst about it? Do you not think Kerry had the same means as Cheney, Dubya, Clinton, or <insert any conservative chickenhawk name here> to avoid the draft?

It's telling that you'd dismiss someone's volunteering to go to Vietnam for political reasons. It's disgusting, as is this entire smear campaign against Kerry. I've lost respect for so many people due to this, you being one of them.

BTW, between his vacation days and the days he and his Vice-President have been campaigning (more like preaching to the choir since they're p*****s and don't allow anyone in without a pledge), I'd say you can't really criticize Kerry for campaigning.

10. Oski2005

Uh, that's a perfect example actually because it shows some excellent spin. If you were in the Navy and not a pilot, how else would you get anywhere near Vietnam if not via swiftboats? The way you word it, talking about being off the coast and what not, makes it seem like he volunteered for a job that would keep him out of harms way. By not talking about his other options, you are being decietful.

11. Chump

Chump Member

Bush's answer when his country called on him:
    [​IMG]

Kerry's Answer:

[​IMG]

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

13. giddyup

I didn't assume anything. I reported what I had heard and I asked some questions.

You sure go overboard because someone asked a few questons. I didn't know that your man Kerry was above having his assertions challenged. I'm in charge of nothing about this "smear campaign." I've asked a few questons and you can't stand it. Get over it. Questions can and will be asked. Stop lumping every critic together you open-minded liberal. Hah! BS.

You are particularly obsessed over Bush's alleged "Lost Weekend" like that is a huge deal. I think he missed the class where they taught him how to push the beverage cart up and down the aisle.

I've lost count now how many times you've lost "respect" for me or so many others here and, of course, you have to announce it like anyone really cares a whit about your opinion of someone else. Get over your self-importance. Why do you think that what you "think" about someone is so all-fired important that you have to tell us all about it again and again.... and again.

Lighten up. As Jeff pointd out, you are in some kind of pissy mood.

14. giddyup

I don't know anything about his other options. My original questions were an invitation to fill in the blanks and/or change the perception. What were his other options?

15. giddyup

I guess if Kerry were running on his senate record, that would be the strategy.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Giddy, asking questions is fine. But it's still questions based on something that you heard. It's not evidence supporting an assertion. Meanwhile there are documents which are evidence supporting actions contrary to what you heard.

Did you read Kerry's request for transfer to either commanding a swift boat, or a patrol officer? Neither of these are indicitive of someone who wanted to avoid a draft, or dangerous action considering he was on a ship removed that kind of dangerous action.

I know that I am still puzzled how, after seeing documentation of Kerry's record of volunteering for the navy and then requesting even more dangerous duty, you would still question this based on something you HEARD. Finally you concede that the truth may be somewhere in between. But it isn't. The evidence supports Kerry volunteering for more dangerous duty and performing bravely while there. One of the men who's in the swifties against Kerry group wrote of Kerry that his actions during combat were 'unsurpassed.' Now 35 years later this guy changes his mind.

17. mc mark

So the winning strategy is to smear a war hero?

18. Oski2005

For once I'd like to hear you ask questions about what Bush was doing.

I'm not in the navy, but I can easily figure out his other option is to stay onboard a ship and out of harms way.

19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

one way of looking at this is to look at what the campaigns are saying on the trail. the bbs, with some exceptions, mirrors or reacts to what the candidates themselves say. i've said for months that all kerry wants to talk about is "I served in Vietnam." you'd have to be blind, or willfully obtuse, to miss the emphasis on Vietnam in Boston, from the whole trip across the harbor w/ the swifties, to max's speech, to "reporting for duty." kerry has focused on his service record, admorable tho much of it may be, to the point of ignoring much else. sure he's talked about other issues, but the real thrust of his campaign has been, " i served in vietnam, therefore i'm more qualified to direct our military than someone who hasn't". he's dared republicans to come after him on that score, then when they have, either suggested it was some sort of vicious smear, or in the swimming-to-cambodia issue, ignored it and sent surrogates out to suggest he was just confused ("seared, kurtz, seared. it was seared into my memory"). we're just reacting to what the campaign is giving us. let kerry go a week w/o mentioning vietnam and all this stuff would fade away...well, perhaps not all...

20. Oski2005

You can't even factually substantiate that the majority of his speeches have been about Vietnam. If you are gonna make that assertion, go dig some of his recent speeches up and tell us how much of it has to do with Vietnam. Of course you won't do it though because you know you'll be proven wrong.