1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uncle Morley has saved Tilman $10m in taxes so far this season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jan 22, 2019.

1. foggy94

foggy94 Member

...because I don't believe he is worth that amount? That's just like...my opinion man. Btw, if you add in the luxury tax cost for his salary, it's more like $35 million.

I don't care how rich old white dudes spend their money. Nobody should be a billionaire tbh, but that's another conversation. I think it's interesting because it will be a part of whether or not Tilman is a good owner. Like I said, I'll forgive him eschewing a 50s draft pick for LT savings , and I can forgive not wanting a $50m tax bill for Trevor Ariza. I'll be hugely critical if he doesn't spend the MLE though. Why half this board starts clutching their pearls any time the suggestion is made that Ariza isn't worth that overpay (when he was the most criticised player on here for years) I'll never know.

HakeemOnlyFan and pugsly8422 like this.
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Job security at its finest

3. BigBum

BigBum Member

Last year
    the best team in the west 65 wins
    the 2nd best team in the west 58 wins
    This year,
    decreases from 65 wins 50 wins?
    Never happened in the nba history unless rebuilding the team.

deb4rockets and Dgn1 like this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

No he wasn't and you assume Ariza wanted to be back here. If you believe the insiders on here, Ariza wasn't coming back.

GSW owners have had a championship roster from day 1 of the season for how long? Stop comparing the best team ever assembledwith ours, there's a difference.

It's not about saving Tilman money, it's about not locking in team you don't want to lock in. Owners don't have unlimited money to throw at paying luxury tax. It's not our money, but what good is for Tilman to become jaded about overpaying luxury tax for sub par results?

5. dmoneybangbang

Our injuries and suspensions.... you know those things...... lolololol

You have to be a Mavs fan? Spurs?

steddinotayto and FartWaffles like this.
  6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not true! The 1942-1943 Akron Buzzards of the NBA won 67 games (in a 70-game season), then their All-Star center Biff Rutherford was injured in a bizarre tractor accident over the summer. The next season the Buzzards only won 12 games and came in dead last in the Great Lakes Conference.

#26 topfive, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    deb4rockets, BigMaloe and Williamson like this.
  7. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

It was up to the front office to provide compatent back up and roll players to help lessen the damage or prevent it by not running players into ground. They didn't, they tried to plug holes with the likes of MCW. I'll eat every bit of crow on my plate if I'm wrong. So far looks like a duck, swims like a duck. I'm not giving them benefit of doubt.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

:D:D:D

Dgn1 likes this.
  9. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Yes, I do think the owners of the Warriors care. That is why Durant decided to take a big paycut, because otherwise GSW would have cut players. That is also why GSW will be losing players or Durant this upcoming summer.. because Durant isn't going to take another paycut and the owners aren't going to pay anymore money than what they are paying now for their club.

Ariza wasn't worth 15m. Rockets made the correct decision with the belief we can do better. Taking that risk was necessary. Sometimes risks pay off and sometimes they don't. Ennis came to the club due to PJ Tuckers highest recommendation and the risk didn't pan out unfortunately. It wasn't due to Tillman being ruthlessly cheap, it was looking longer term for whats best for the club and I believe they truly thought they could improve that position instead of paying Ariza 15m

To further dive home the point that your fake news narrative that we lost Ariza because Tillman was cheap and didn't want to pay him15m is wrong. Ariza was told before any contract discussions that he would not be returning to the Rockets. He was told ahead of time that we would not even be offering him a contract. This is why Ariza signed with the Suns as soon as the markets opened and he was offered 15m. The Rockets and Morey saw his position as a position he believed he could improve upon. Now you CAN argue that Tillman was cheap on Prince Luke, because the Rockets did want him to return, but felt his asking price was too high.

#29 Realjad, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    seeingred and topfive like this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this could very well be true. but problem is we desperately need bodies right now to put on the floor and we're just a couple losses out of the playoff seedings. any other season and just accepting the injuries and losses would probably be the way to go. but 1) CP3's window is closing FAST and 2) harden is having an epic historic season that should not be wasted. house should have been converted to a minimum contract for the remainder of the season as he had requested. we need him on the floor more than morey needs his ego satisfied that he mastered the art of the deal w/ an outperforming sweetheart contract

Dgn1 likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

It's not even past the trade deadline cupcake, so stop getting your panties in a bunch and wipe away your tears.

While the front office could have done a better job this offseason, they had their restraints and are already moving past their mistakes. I'll stick with the front office that has had perennial success.

12. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

13. dmoneybangbang

Why do you assume its an ego thing?

14. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

The front office has a new owner sunshine. I'll give you the bit about the deadline. Besides that, they **** the bed.

15. dmoneybangbang

From last year's team......He locked in the core of Harden, CP3, and Capela plus Gordon ($13 mil 2018 and $14 mil 2019 left) and plus Tucker (steal of a contract). He signed Gerald Green from last year. Nene, our traditional back up big, is old but can play in spurts.

Ariza didn't want to be here and Luc is broken. Who else are we missing from our 65 win team that was key in the playoffs? You miss Anderson?

16. dmoneybangbang

Touche. I was thinking more of Morey and his staff. Shows how I think Les and Tillman, is the "old boss same as the new boss".

17. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Sad part is Anderson is better than what we have now lol.

18. dmoneybangbang

That's what I thought.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Biff Rutherford was the GOAT.

topfive likes this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Anderson hasn't played in over a month for the Suns. That dude has pretty much quit and is collecting a check from the looks of it. lol.