1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UNC 34 FSU 9

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by francis 4 prez, Sep 22, 2001.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

Damn I just woke up and turned on the TV and couldn't believe my eyes. UNC is up 34-9 against FSU! FSU may be a little down this year but this is ridiculous, even UT beat them by 30.

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Uh, maybe UT is just that damn good. Nitwit.

3. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

its all because of one man.....
    BENSON BENSON BENSON BENSON BENSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Final was 41-9... woo hoo. Unbelievable! :eek:

5. francis 4 prez

Umm, I go to UT and am a huge fan of the team, nitwit. Since I'm pretty sure we're not 61 points better than FSU that statement was just to show how bad we beat UNC relative to the ass-whoopin they were handing FSU and to say what a shock it was that they were doing it.

6. gr8-1

I didn't like the "even UT beat them by 30" remark. I guess I'm a bit sensitive to even a perceived slight at the team. We manhandled UNC, that was definitely not a fluke. We're that good.

7. Francis3

Francis3 Member

U of H going to kick UT ass tonighT~~~~!!!!!!

8. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

Damn that sucks i was hoping for UNC-CH to go 0-11(or 12) this year.

I'll settle for them going 1-10(or 11)

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

francis3,

keep living in your little dream world, u of h should consider it a moral victory if they keep it under 40, especially after the stupid comments made by miligan and lee.

10. francis 4 prez

OK it's all good then. But if you don't wanna hear any perceived slights to the team you definitely don't wanna hang around this fan.

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Being a Miami fan, I can tell you that I was shocked by that score. I knew FSU could be vulnerable this season but not to another ACC team (unless it's Georgia Tech) and not get beat that bad! This might be the biggest upset of the regular season since Iowa State beat Nebraska in the mid '80's. It makes you wonder how good FSU could have been had Anquan Boldin had not got hurt. This actually hurts Miami because of that damn BCS opponents and opponents' opponents record. Bowden is looking at probably losing 4 games this season which would end FSU's incredible streak of winning 10 or more games every year since 1987.

Some other interesting scores included Syracuse waxing Auburn 31-14 and Northwestern State of Louisiana, a I-AA school, beating the Horned Frogs 27-24. Also, I noticed that there were many teams that had this weekend scheduled off. This open date was above average in the number of idle teams.

Last I heard--Houston was giving the Horns a battle as the score was only 26-14.

12. DVauthrin

well uh got a moral victory tonight keeping it under 30(the deficit was 27),so ill give them credit, but well take the 53 pts and the win, next week we get tech in austin, then its OU

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Once again I'm disappointed that UT did not have a complete game. Although the final scores don't show it, I feel we have come out flat in our last two games.

I was surprised by the UH intensity in the first half. We were outplayed and outcoached. UT's talent finally wore down the Cougars in the second half.

If we come out and play like we did tonight (at least in the first half), OU is gonna cream us.

Tonight also made me question whether Simms is really the man. How does a 6'5" guy have trouble throwing over the defensive line? I felt more comfortable with Major in the game.

Oregon barely defeated USC tonight. It would have have been pretty sweet to see Oregon and FSU fall in the same night.

14. DVauthrin

smokey,

next weekend we get tech at home, very good tuneup before the rematch

15. francis 4 prez

Exactly!!!! And someone will say that it was just garbage time, but I don't care. I would love it if Major got to start because with this receiving talent, there is no way he would do less with it than Simms and there's like a 90% chance he would do better. The thing is, he makes better decisions and better throws and I wish he was the starter instead of wasting his senior year on the bench. Apparently Simms even said he might've redshirted had they gone with Applewhite. Think about that, one more year with Major doing great and then Simms going two more years. Instead we're wasting Major's last year and then Simms only has one more. Could've had 3 years of good qb's, now we only get one. Course I don't know how good Mock is supposed to be. Still I want the Major to start.

16. gr8-1

I thought Simms was frazzled for a certain moment. But, that first pass he threw to Jeffery WAS a TD, and that would have made it 17-0. That other pass he made to Jeffery at the end of the half was a pass that only a handful of college qb's would even think to make. What a cannon. He had 5 or 6 drops tonight, but he still managed to pass for 300 yards and 3 td's. BTW, when is Roy gonna get in the game? He looks like he isn't concentrating. Overall, great game by Simms. We woudl have covered if they would have called the Jeffery td correctly. Also, that interference call on QJ was pathetic, even Dean Blevins (ex-Ou qb) said so.

17. Band Geek Mobster

Simms did look pretty bad for a couple possessions.

I thought you guys had an awesome defense?

Kelly Robertson is HORRIBLE, yet he managed to pass for 364 yards on 20 of 33 passing.

Rice played better D...

18. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

A couple of comments...

I have to agree with the announcers that the first pass to Jeffery in the endzone was not a TD because on the replay it showed he did not have full control of the football as he was hitting the ground.

I'm not satisfied with our play. We have to play 60 minutes. If we were playing OU, they would have been up by 3 TD's in the first half. Defensively, we need to do a better job of tackling. We were fooled by UH's screens and misdirections. Guess what? OU runs screens and misdirections...remember Quentin Griffin.

Again how can someone 6'5" not get the ball over the head of the defense? For example, Simms rolled out left, had Scaife in the flap uncovered with only one defender in his way, and the ball was batted down. He looked like the UH defense had him confused. Simms had 5 or 6 drops but he had another 7 or 8 batted balls.

It will be interesting to see how the coaches explain the flat start. We can't afford to this against good teams like OU.

BGM, we do have an awesome defense. However, your offense outplayed us in the first half. We looked slow and not ready for kickoff. You guys ran some plays which really had us fooled. We didn't come out ready to play. If UH had more talent, we would have been losing by more than 4 points.

I think that fumbled kickoff at the end of the first half was the end of the game. After that FG, UT never looked back.

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Kelly Robertson is HORRIBLE, yet he managed to pass for 364 yards on 20 of 33 passing.

Don't you think that the Horns might've let up a little on defense after they were up 40-14?

Also, I was thrilled with Simms last night. He had a couple of balls batted down, but he had some great deep balls, made some nice audibles, made plays on the run, and showed good poise when Houston's pass rush was doing well. I'm not sure if I'd rather have another quarterback in the nation, much less Major Applewhite.

If we come out and play like we did tonight (at least in the first half), OU is gonna cream us.

Really? Cause we could've (possibly should have) been up 27-0 at the half, if not for horrible luck and officiating.

Texas 38, OU 21

20. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I dont want the Texans to pick a QuarterBack with the first pick.

i dont think thats a right pick for a expansion team. I rather go with an offensive lineman or a monster player that plays Defense like Sapp! :)