1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Un-Freaking-Real

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jeff, Sep 8, 2002.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

What if the Texans make the playoffs. Maybe the Cowboys were good. The Texans were just better....

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I'm not saying that the Texans SHOULD have beaten the Cowboys. I'm saying that people shouldn't act so suprised. I can understand the Texans fan's emotions, because it's the first game in franchise history, but Cowboys fans are acting like Lucifer himself just took a sh*t through the hole in Texas Stadium's roof.

What this loss did was bring all the myopic Cowboys fans and those pinheaded NFL analysts picking them to go to the playoffs back down to earth and reveal just how many weaknesses the Cowgirls really have...This loss doesn't prove how good we are as much as it proves how bad Dallas is...

I mean, c'mon Max...QUINCY CARTER!!! :)
    The fact that their starting QB's name is "Quincy" should tell them something...

3. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Ric-
    If players can't get hit in the head why do you think they wear helmets?
    The way you just described it is any time a player gets hit in the head it's a penalty.

Spearing is illegal, taking an unnecessary shot to the head (ala at a QB or receiver) but in this circumstance the receiver is laying out for the ball, the safety is coming up and the only part of his body that the safety has a shot at is his head. The ball was still in play so you can't justify it was a late hit.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the defender had led with his shoulder and wrapped the receiver up with his arms, would it still have been a penalty? Because I see defenders do that all the time.

5. moomoo

moomoo Member

FWIW (probably not much around here :p)

From http://www.dallascowboys.com/cgi-bin/Cowboys/cowboys2/news.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1693967628.1031679657@@@@&BV_EngineID=dadcfdiddkdibedchecjcfe.0&art=22124

Nguyen suffered the injury on a first-quarter blitz, jamming his wrist while hitting a Houston running back. Coakley said watching his teammate, and close friend, fight through the pain for the remaining three quarters was inspirational.

"He came up to me and said, 'Dex, I broke my wrist,'" Coakley recalled. "I was hoping he was wrong and maybe it was a strain or something. But the X-rays today confirmed it. But to have that happen and for him to play the entire game - you just can't measure a man's heart like that. We need more players like that on this football team. For him to fight through that kind of adversity is amazing. But we have to move on. We've got to find a way and not hang our heads."

Uh oh! Look at Dat! Showin' some elephant sized nut$...Let 'em hang, big dawg.

6. Timing

Timing Member

Dat is a warrior unfortunately his body can't match his passion. I loved watching him at A&M. It's a shame he couldn't play safety in the pros. I don't think he'd be getting hurt as often at that position.

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Give him time. He hasn't been getting NFL money long enough to develop a drug problem, some bad suits and an affection for "self-employed models" yet. :D

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i don't know if this is true or not...i have no idea how good we are just yet...if the defense can keep them in the game the way they did Sunday, they may end up playing more competitively than most of us would have ever dreamed of.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

are you making this up? your stance is that blows to the head are legal because players wear helmets? is that the same reason batters wear batting helmets, because throwing at a guy's head is legal?

if you hit a player in the head, and woodson clearly did, it's a penalty.

at least now we can eliminate illiteracy from the litnany of possible reasons this idea escapes you. yes, any blow to the head is illegal. period. just as i previously stated.

woodson clearly and obviously threw an elbow; likely didn't mean to hit him in the head, but he did, and that's a penalty, each and every time.

10. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Haven't you learned yet, Ric? Every call against the Cowboys is a bad call.

Speaking on whether Texans fans should be surprised at the win, I think they should be. If this game had been four or five weeks into the season, the win would've been less impressive because the Texans would've had a chance to gel a little better and get some game experience together.

I thought they would be competitive, just like the Panthers and Jags were in their first games (the Panthers took a bad Falcons team to overtime, I believe. And the Jags lost by 3 to a mediocre-at-best Oilers team coming off a 2-14 season), but winning the first game out is surprising no matter how bad the opponent is. If the Texans had beaten the Lions or Panthers on Sunday (two teams arguably worse than the Cowboys even though the Lions beat the 'Boys late last year), the win still would've been surprising because expansion teams - even the recent ones with all the advantages - take several games to win their first one in nearly all instances.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Its in the rule book. Any shot at the head is illegal. Woodson clearly used his forearm to hit Miller in the head. That will draw the yellow flags every time.

12. mfclark

mfclark Member

Don't know if anyone's seen this quote yet, but I found it amusing.

The Texans' Marcus Coleman in response to ex-Sooner Williams' pregame analogy that losing to Houston would be like Oklahoma dropping one to Baylor.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh man, I totally missed that line by Roy Williams...that is just another reason to enjoy this win even more. :D

Might want to get that foot out of your mouth, Roy...it's harder to run that way.

14. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I don't know about that...my imagination can be a scary place. :D

15. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

If anyone wants my thoughts on the hit, which probably is nobody, I at first thought it was baloney. After seeing the replay, it did look like Woodson did hit him on the head, which didn't look all too bad. But its in the rule book, and I accepted it. I don't think Woodson was intent on killing him or anything, but he hit him on the head. Just one of many penalties I had to live with. :(

BTW, the offense had looked somewhat smooth from what I had seen before the game, but it sure looked bad against the Texans. The only thing besides hustling, tough D, etc., (;) ) I could think of that hurt was the 3-4. The blitzing killed us and even when they didn't blitz, we killed ourselves. IMO, the line did not do very well.

Wait...I need to quit complaining. This was 2 days ago and I'm still doing it. Well, let's just say the offense should be better, but wasn't that day. :)

I'm still kind of sad.:(

16. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Im gettins sick and tired of people saying bull**** like "Oh, I should have known better than to argue with a cowboy" or "f'ing cowboy fans... " Thats bull****. Thats like saying all Rockets fans are ignorant just because a few are. Keep your bull**** stereotypes to yourself.

17. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Typical Cowboy fan reaction

18. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

You're a sad man.

19. Timing

Timing Member

ROFL! :D

Four more years of this will be fun.

20. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

And you are waaaayy too easy to rile up. Your 'boys got their asses handed to them last night. I, personally, have waited 6 years to see a Houston football team play. You think I'm gonna lighten up on your 'boys? You and all other Cowboy fans have four years of this to listen to.

6 years of waiting = 4 years of gloating.

That sounds fair to me.