1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UN and Israel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Dec 26, 2017.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

On the surface, it seems reasonable to think that the number of resolutions the UN passes condemning a particular country should be in proportion to the severity or frequency of human rights violations committed by that country. I think this is what the narrator is getting at here.

So, why is Israel such a focus for the UN? Is it because of its Jewish character, or is it because of its flagrant expansionist agenda in a volatile/sensitive/important region of the world, with military and diplomatic support from the world's most powerful country? If this was not a Jewish country, but (say) a Christian country embroiled in the same conflict, would the world be more approving of their expansionism? What do you think?

Huricane, dmoneybangbang and Exiled like this.
  4. cml750

cml750 Member

The way the UN treats Israel is an utter disgrace.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The U.N. was instrumental in the creation of Israel. Stop the pity party.

FranchiseBlade and Exiled like this.
  6. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

The UN is a joke.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Meh, it's the UN, who cares?

8. Exiled

Exiled Member

oh noOoh...this is a heartbreaking

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It should give you pause when Exiled likes your post.

You are a seemingly rational person who is into statistics.

Do you think that it makes sense that Israel gets condemned 20 times by the UN General Assembly in 2017, and the entire rest of the world combined gets condemned 6 times?

What about Russia's "flagrant expansionist agenda"? Did they get condemned 20 times?

To answer your question, it is because Israel is Jewish, and the Muslims hate Jews.

Saudi Arabia is a member of the UN Human Rights Council. That right there says it all.

The UN were a nice idea, but the organization as of today is worse than a laughingstock. It should be abolished, or only true democracies (that would include Israel) should have a vote.

Nook likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Didn't know that majority of UN countries were Muslim majority.

Counties like Russia are more passive and less direct in their expansion. They'll use proxies that make it less obvious. Also, they aren't actively limiting the freedom of movement of a group of people.

Also, I'm pretty sure the UN understands that Israel actually cares more about what the UN says than a country like Russia or Iran. Israel, Western Europe and the US sees themselves as allies.

I mean you have to be off your rockers if you believe that Islamic apologetics and being easy on Islam while hating Jews is why several European countries voted to condemn.

You have to also factor in the one Western country that has as a crazy religious element(Evangelicalism)influencing their decisions was the one country that supports Israel at almost an infallible level.

That should open your eyes up.

11. dmoneybangbang

I applaud the U.N. for understanding the bigger picture. It seems so many on here are eager to use someone else’s resources and lives to further their globalist agenda.

Exiled likes this.
  12. durvasa

And it shouldn’t give you pause that virtually every country has been unanimous in their condemnation of Israel over the years? Even the US has either abstained or supported GA resolutions condemning Israel on many occasions (link).

I try to be rational, which is why I don’t get swayed easily by ad hominem arguments seeking to redirect attention to the abysmal record of many of the countries condemning Israel, rather than the argument against Israel’s policies itself.

On the surface, context fully removed, it doesn’t seem to make sense. As I said.

So you are focusing on Israel being Jewish, and disregarding the actual location of the conflict which obviously has some significance here. Why is that?

Beyond that, I would expect that Russia being on the Security Council and wielding quite a bit of influence historically has also buffered it from condemnation to some degree. Same for China and the US.

Who decides what is a true democracy? And if you took all the votes for resolutions condemning Israel, and filtered out non-democracies, what would the results have been?

Also, any voting system is flawed if you have a large majority of countries voting as a block for reasons separate from the issue being voted on. If you just so happen to reduce your voting countries to those that are mostly compelled to vote with the US or abstain for economic reasons, is that really a better system?

peleincubus and London'sBurning like this.
  13. fchowd0311

Nah dude. The UN are just anti-semites. Nuff said. No further discussion necessary.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sadly, you have only been able to shed part of the brainwashing. Hate against Israel is so central to Muslim identity that it seems almost impossible to get out of the system. I have had many conversations even with pretty moderate Muslims where the one thing that always is there with them is that hate against the "zionists" (which is just another word for Jews, but it sounds better to say you hate zionists than you hate Jews).

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

durvasa: Props for trying to be rational, but I would bet anything that you have also been exposed to Muslim victimhood propaganda growing up, in which Israel is used as the scapegoat for the failures of the Muslim world.

"Context fully removed"? The context is that massive, massive human rights violations are happening all over the world, often by Muslims against Muslims (e.g. Saudi Arabi bombing Yemen). Yet, 20 resolutions against Israel, none against Saudi Arabia, 6 for the whole rest of the world combined. No "context" can justify this.

cml750 likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

The fact that you are invested in this matter more than me, when you have no affiliation with Israel speaks more about yourself than me.

Anyways, I guess I magically hate Jews when my solution to this whole mess is to invite them all to my state of Massachusetts which would be a boom for our economy as we would be bringing in a plethora of high skilled proffesionals and the Palestians can keep that shitty sliver of land.

The Israelis can continue living in a first world high standard of living country where they are significantly more welcomed and don't have to worry about the weekly rocket attack or suicide bomber.

My solution is pragmatic and would result in the least amount of bloodshed. But hey, I guess I'm a anti-semite.

Honestly, you sometimes can be a piece of **** when you attempt these absurd extrapolations based on what a poster decides to divulge of their personal life. My parents couldn't give two ***** about Israel or Palestinians.

I'm going to report you because of your level of creepinies trying to psychoanalyze my personal life.

London'sBurning likes this.
  17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

UN is pure crap but not because of Muslims or Jews. It's just ****.

18. durvasa

Do you honestly believe that Western democracies that have overwhelming supported or abstained on resolutions condemning Israeli actions in that region have done so due to anti-Jew bias, and the condemnations themselves have no merit?

I’m not saying that Israel being Jewish has zero relevance. History would have unfolded quite differently, obviously, if instead Israel was an Arab state formed in that tiny slice of land. It would have been different if it was a Christian state as well, but in what way it would be different is more difficult to predict.

Does it follow that anti-Semitism is the root problem? No, it does not. What is clear is that charges of anti-Semitism do provide a convenient cover for Israel to do what it pleases, such as the land grabbing, which only inflames the conflict.

19. fchowd0311

They obviously just hate Jews man. It's so simple.

It's reflective in the fact that an Israeli citizen can travel to the vast majority of Western Europe with no visa and just a passport while the Palestians have to go on a 2 year wait list.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That second video is a great explanation of why the human rights council is a total joke.

The first video raises more questions than it provides answers, unfortunately.