1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UH] Maggard out as AD

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Hippieloser, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6386279.html

Looks like Dave saw the writing on the wall. The rumors I've heard are that the big money donors (apparently they exist) were not keen on Maggard's fundraising philosophy or plans for the money. A lot of people aren't pleased by his loyalty to Penders, either.

Maggard made two great hires in Art Briles and Kevin Sumlin. The football team is no longer a joke. He made a decent hire in Penders. However, traditional UH sports like golf and baseball have declined badly under his tenure. Basketball has stagnated. I can't think of any improvements to facilities on his watch. I'm concerned about landing someone who's capable and passionate about UH, but I don't think Maggard was pushed aside for no reason. Your thoughts?

2. MexAmercnMoose

maybe the UH administration wasn't too keen on the improvements that Maggard wanted to do to Robertson....or maybe he really wanted to retire :confused:

3. DreamRoxCoogFan

the consensus is that he was forced out, I'm assuming that it had to to with differing views of the school's vision, including the football stadium. This kinda took me by surprise, but then again I hadn't been following athletics. Overall though, I have respect for the man who brought back respectability to the major sports at UH. Now we need a new AD who will build on what Maggard started.

4. Hippieloser

Well, I get the feeling that if Khatour had allied herself with Maggard he'd still have the job. I think that plans for the vaunted ENDZONE FACILITY, which Maggard was unable to find the donors for, might have been the main factor in his "retirement." The Penders saga probably didn't help.

It's hard to bag on Maggard too hard. Football is obviously in a better place than it was (Sumlin <3), and basketball is slightly better although we still ain't dancing. But like so many ADs before him, he just couldn't get any money coming in. With Dr. Khatour's emphasis on fund raising, he maybe wasn't an ideal match. I have a hunch that fundraising will be a priority with any hiring that's made, and I have a lot more confidence in Khatour to make a quality hiring than in a whole lot of administrators that UH has had.

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

A lot of time, money, and energy was put into the endzone project. When funds couldn't be raised to put a shovel in the ground, the writing was on the wall.

6. Mattj

Mattj Member

Not true...One of UH's richest families (The Robertsons) died recently. UH is about to have a huge windfall dropped in their laps (Somewhere in the neighborhood of $65 million). That's a nice seed to start any facilities improvement. Maggard was a TERRIBLE fundraiser. There are 25 Fortune 500 companies in Houston. He has reached out to none of them in his 7 years on campus. He destroyed the existent fundraising arm of the athletics program to create a new one that would help him reach bonusues in his own contract. He made two good football hires, but the rest of his tenure is nothing to write home about.

The Board of Regents soured on Dave as much as they had soured on his basketball coach. The fact that he told the newspaper that he was changing the direction of facilities improvements without consulting with his bosses was the final straw. He basically intimated that "I want to make a bunch of great changes, but my boss is against it" That's the type of thing that can get you fired...thus the forced retirement. As a UH alum, I can only hope that The Merm (Tom Penders) will be following Maggard out the door.

7. Hippieloser

Thanks for the take, Matt. Who ultimately decides who will replace Maggard? The chancelor, the board or regents, a special committee? Kevin Sumlin?

As for Penders, I think he'll stick around another year and then retire. I was ready to move on after the first go-round in the CBI (sigh). Ideally, I guess we'd want someone to replace Penders who was the basketball version of Sumlin, a hungry young guy who's all too willing to scour the local high schools. Someone like John Lucas would seem to be able to accomplish that, but Lucas is hardly young or without baggage. Whoever the new AD is, that might be the choice that defines his tenure.

8. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Maggard did a pretty good job considering where he brought us from. I'm confident Khator will find a good replacement.

9. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Regarding Penders. He's got to go. I love his personality, I like his fire, but he just isn't getting quality local talent to buy into what hes got going on here.

We really need a basketball coach version of Sumlin. Younger, fiery coach that kids want to play for.

10. Mattj

Mattj Member

Our timing sucks...if Maggard had "retired" a month ago, we would probably have a new basketball coach too. Instead, the ideal hoops hire, got the Memphis job.

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Why would Maggard rock the boat if the endzone project was in the bag?

The direction didn't change until the endzone was dead. If there was money for the endzone, I don't understand why construction hadn't begun.

12. DreamRoxCoogFan

who are maggard's bosses? I have a hard time believeing that khator make this decision...

13. Mattj

Mattj Member

The board of regents.

1 person likes this.
  14. Hippieloser

Thanks for clearing that up, Matt. It's too early I'm sure to have a "frontrunner" for the job, but fans on other forums are tossing Mike Pede and Oliver Luck's names around. I don't think Luck would bail on the Dynamo with no stadium deal in place. I'm not familiar with Pede, but he was apparently a co-finalist with Maggard and from what I've read it's his dream job. I think it's more likely that a candidate is chosen who has no previous ties to the University. Die-hard Cougars are less likely to take an objective view of UH's (major) issues and possible solutions. Fundraising may well be the bottom line, but the new guy is going to have a pick a new basketball coach sooner than later.

15. Jayou

Jayou Member

I hope that whoever the new AD is, he/she can raise funds for a new football stadium.

I've only been to Robertson Stadium for Dynamo games, but that place is an absolute ****hole on par with Tully Stadium.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I heard you (was it you, or someone else on the show) yesterday mention that you made some sort of NOSTRADAMic [sic] call on this one. Good one, sir. :eek: I like your show and listen to it when I can. Thank you for your insight and inside info on the UH topics. You sure had a good call.

Can you also predict when Mexico is going to win the World Cup? :(