1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UFC] GSP vs. Hardy

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Ron from the G, Mar 26, 2010.

Tags:
?

GSP vs. Hardy

Poll closed Mar 28, 2010.
  1. GSP KO

18 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. GSP Submission

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. GSP Decision

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  4. Hardy KO

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. Hardy Submission

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hardy Decision

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I watched the post fight presser, GSP was upset with himself that he didn't finish. You are right, he said he should not have just tried to submit him and said he should have used more ground and pound. GSP's corner also told him after the fight that he made a technical mistake with the kimura, not having Hardy's hips square, or else it would have finished him.

2. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

GSP is very good, but that was not an exciting fight. Sure he dominated Penn, but BJ did move up in weight to fight him. Let GSP move up. I don't know that he would face Spider, but I think he'd be chalenged. Spider would kill him. I think guys like Marquardt(sp?) or Hendo would give him a pretty good run. It seems to be the only logical step for him to take. Guess we'll see.

3. sew

sew Member

What the **** is this garbage?

4. sew

sew Member

of GSP's 20 wins.. 15 of them he has finished. 5 have gone to the decision

Just cuz ur boy was savagely outclassed doesn't mean you gotta spew BS.

5. Asian Sensation

For everyone saying that GSP was unimpressive and how he doesn't finish fights... you have to give a lot of credit to Dan Hardy. Although Hardy didn't put up much of a fight he avoided getting his ass kicked. Alves, Penn, Fitch were all beaten to a bloody pulp. Hardy came out the fight without a scratch on his face so it shows he's a pretty tough sob.... not to mention how he survived two deadly submissions. Any other opponent would have tapped or had a broken arm by the end of round 2.

On another note... SHANE CARWIN is a ****ing BEAST. I knew ever since his first fight in the UFC where he knocked Wellisch out with the mouth piece flying that he was going to be the real deal. I like Lesnar too but I think he's going to be in trouble against Carwin.

Carwin's size, strength and wrestling background is going to deter Lesnar from his usual ground and pound and I think Carwin is the better striker with heavier hands and a stronger chin. This fight is going to be epic. Finally, a true Heavyweight bout. Can NOT wait for this one.

1 person likes this.
  6. sew

sew Member

7. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Thanks for the info man. Looking forward to going. I was hesitant about getting seats that were in the upper levels but it seems like it will be worth it because the arena is so small.

8. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

Okay let me re-phrase my statement.

Ever since Matt Serra chin checked him in Houston Gsp now will dry hump you and molest you for the decision boring win: Fitch, T. Alves, and now Dan Hardy.

That's all I'm saying...

he is scared to get his mouth blown out again...

I fully understand why boxing enthusiasts hate MMA.

Main event = another man dry humping and molesting another man...

Sure GSP has superior wrestling and cant take down anyone, did he do any major damage to Hardy? I don't think so...

Very boring to watch that's all I'm saying..

I would rather watch Nick Diaz vs. Diego Sanchez (now that was some technical submission grappling).

9. sew

sew Member

Uhh..

Since Serra KO'd him he's finished Hughes, BJ Penn, and yes Matt Serra.

He also rearranged the faces of both Fitch and Alves. Boring fights? For fake fight fans I suppose.

[​IMG]

It's hilarious actually. GSP was well aware of Hardy's strengths. He was also well aware of his weaknesses. Yet GSP is getting dissed because he used his brain to win the fight? It's not his fault Hardy take down defense is non existent.

10. Wakko67

Is it a diss to say it was a boring fight? If so then damn son he got served. Ooooooh burn.

11. Yak

Yak Member

For everyone dissing GSP for having a "boring" fighting style, do you think that the Rockets with Yao next year are going to be "boring" too because of their half-court sets?

I guess you also think the playoffs are boring because the GSW don't play in them every year.

GSP fought in a manner that would guarantee him the win, and that's exactly what happened.

Why play to your opponents strengths? Just so you can seem flashy?

Hardy couldn't stand on his two feet, sucks for him.

No one is going to gift-wrap a fight to someone.

12. Wakko67

I won't speak for everyone, but I'm not saying he didn't deserve to win the fight. It was boring for the third time. Sucks that that bothers you.

On your other question. Half-Court basketball is still exciting. Yao in the post is exciting. If both teams struggled to score and the game ended 50-50, it would probably be a boring game. As long as the Rockets won, I'd be happy. I would not argue with anyone that it wasn't boring though.

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I was more impressed with Hardy than GSP.

To GSP, good for you!

btw, Carwin pummeling Mir was awesome.

14. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

I definately would have liked to see GSP do more damage with the ground and pound but I attribute that more to Hardy's credit. If you watched the fight, youll notice Hardy did a good job staying busy within his guard and did a decent job of utilizing wrist control which made it hard for George to get clean looks towards hitting Hardy's face. He didn't just put his arms over his face. Like I said before, if Hardy was a normal human being, this fight would have ended in the first round. Again you have to credit that to Hardy, there are just some fighters out there that refuse to tap (Tim Sylvia).

Alot of MMA fans, such as myself, actually liked to watch what GSP did last night. He put on a clinic on take down techniques, how to control your position on the guard and how to manuever through transitions.

It's like how some people hate watching pitching duels in baseball. The score might be 0-0 but the pitchers are exhibiting skills and techniques that aren't appreciated by everyone And your example with Yao, some people don't like to watch players go to work in the post (I'm not one of them), rather a more up tempo style of play.

I can't fault you for saying you thought the fight was boring because bottom line, its up to the person's preference of what they like to see and if they appreciate the technical stuff that happens within the fight/game

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I thought you'd give credit to somebody like Royce Gracie for not tapping, but Tim Sylvia? :grin: Fedor made him tap. Nog made him tap with the guillotine. Arlovski made him tap with a leg lock, I think. Mir snapped his arm, but that may have been because it happened too quick for Tim to do anything including tap.

I liked the rest of what you said, though. I can't stand when people boo a ground game. I think that's about as fun to watch as a good standup fight. Of course, I'm not sure I like it as much when it's one-sided. GSP was great on the ground, but he was basically fighting a practice dummy. When it's ground combat between 2 good fighters, it's incredible to watch as they each try to go for the ending submission.

16. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Ha yea, the only reason I said Sylvia was because of that fight where he wouldn't tap from an arm bar and his arm ended up breaking. The ref stopped the fight right when he saw it break but Sylvia protested that he never tapped and he was still willing to fight. Thats just the polarizing moment I have when a fighter refuses to tap

17. Htown's2kFinest

18. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

LOL them are sweeet!

19. Wakko67

Its funny, but thats pretty much all the stand up footage from GSP. Hardy didn't look that bad standing up. If he did, GSP wouldn't have been on the ground for 96% of the fight.

Wally-don't get me wrong, I give tons of credit to Hardy. The dude is tough and never quit. I also attribute his non-existant ground game to the fight being boring.

Lastly, I do like pitching duels. ;)

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah. Even when Gracie was getting his butt kicked by Hughes, I gained even more respect for the guy when he refused to submit as Hughes was telling the ref that he was about to break the arm or dislocate the elbow. Gracie just took the pain and wouldn't tap.

It's a fine line between being tough and having the sense to protect your immediate or long-term career.