1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UFC] Fedor Emelianenko, UFC finalizing deal?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by farrisdabis, Jul 28, 2009.

1. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

Before you go attacking people saying they are TUF fans, just know that I have seen every PRIDE event and have ordered every PPV event since UFC 41. I have HDNET and watch every DREAM event. I am one of the most knowledgable MMA fans you will ever meet. You are the one who comes off as a Fedor fan who can't face reality. Look I like him too, but I don't worship him and if he does not keep facing top level fighters then how can you possibly rank him the best ever? Simple, you can't.

So explain to me how Tim Sylvia is not washed up. Do you disagree? 3 of his last 4 fights have been losses and did you see him in the Ray Mercer fight? Yeah that's right the same guy that got choked out by Kimbo in a minute KO'ed Tim in 30 seconds. He is no where near an elite level fighter anymore.

So now explain to me how Arlovski does not have a glass chin? He had it in the UFC too, and that is why he was never a great champion. Please dispute that for me, I would love to hear the argument. I never said he was a can, that was you. He is a good fighter, but he will never be great because of how easily he is knocked out.

The UFC has the best fighters, period. The have the best HW's, period. Fedor has beaten some very good fighters. There is no disputing that, but to be the best you have to continue to fight and beat the best.

BTW never try to strengthen an argument by adding the names Mark Coleman, Kevin Randleman, and Heath Herring. At that point you are doing nothing more than desperate reaching.

2. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

I would hardly call Sylvia and Arlovski top 5 heavyweights. Sylvia was 1-2 before fighting Fedor and was clearly on the downside of his career. He was never that good to begin with and that just shows how bad the UFC heavyweight division used to be. Arlovski is arguably top 5 but it doesn't say much that he lost to Sylvia twice. And you can always bring up his glass jaw. I would definitely put the current UFC heavyweight roster over both of those guys.

3. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I credit Dana white for hiring Fertita. Fertita has really been the man behind the scenes that's helped make UFC grow so fast.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

dana make a goofy comment???? never! he is a very composed man in front of the microphone.

5. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

You mean Fertitta taking a full time position at the UFC? I'm pretty sure Dana White works for the Fertitta's lol.

6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Argh you're right! Wasn't thinking clearly.

7. DaDream

DaDream Member

What we are all trying to say one way or the other is:
    Fedor join the f**king UFC so we can see you fight Brock.... please

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I just watched Fedor's one punch KO against Andrei Arlovski.

Lesnar could probably give him plenty of trouble -- I want to see them fight.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I know you are just trying to provoke conversation with that comment. Only guys I see giving fedor trouble are machida and silva. Silva is small for fedor but people say he walks around at 220 so a 220 catchweight fight would be excellent. I know machida is lhw but that guy looks like he couldeasily fight at 220.

10. KingCheetah

Fedor could have problems with Lesnar's mass and strength -- I'm rooting for Fedor, but it would be interesting to watch regardless of the outcome.

I think Silva is too small for Fedor.

11. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Kevin Iole colum on Fedor.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ki-fedorufc073109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

12. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

Fedor to Strikeforce

Monday, August 03, 2009
    by Loretta Hunt (lhunt@sherdog.com)

Fedor Emelianenko has signed a multi-fight agreement that will see the world’s No. 1-ranked heavyweight compete for Strikeforce, the promotion announced Monday.

Emelianenko, who became a free agent after Affliction Entertainment canceled its Aug. 1 event two weeks ago, will make his debut on Showtime under a co-promoted Strikeforce/M-1 Global production this fall. Emelianenko was to have faced Josh Barnett at Affliction “Trilogy” on Aug. 1, but Barnett failed a pre-fight test for anabolic steroids and was refused licensure by the California State Athletic Commission.

Emelianenko, along with his promoters and management team M-1 Global, negotiated with the UFC last week, but could not come to an agreement over co-promotion.

"Strikeforce is a top fight promotion that houses some of the greatest fighters in the world," said Emelianenko in a press release. "I am prepared to fight any of them."

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told Sherdog.com last week that he plans to match the stoic Russian against the likes of Brett Rogers, Fabricio Werdum and the promotion’s heavyweight champion, Alistair Overeem.

Fedor was my favorite fighter, and after this I have lost a ton of respect for him. His management has really messed up his legacy. He was at the top of my pound4pound of all time, but not anymore. If he wanted to fight the best he would. Overeem, Werdum, Rogers????? These are the guys he will be fighting? That is just sad because we as MMA fans are robbed of watching one of the greatest fighters fight guys that are good, nowhere near great. I want to see the best fights involving Fedor and it is apparent now more than ever that this will never happen. :mad:

13. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

How did Fedor screw up his legacy? He and his managment is in this to build M-1. If that isn't clear to everyone, it should be now. He and his management know that he is the one name that can do that. You might not like that strategy, but that doesn't make him any less of a badass. How does signing with Strikeforce screw up his legacy? Does it take away any of his previous wins?

Look, I wanted him in UFC as well, but I knew that M-1 and Fedor were playing hardball about that co-promotion deal and I knew UFC wasn't going for that.

14. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Fedor is still a beast, no doubt about that, but if he really wanted to cement his leagacy as the best P4P fighter of all time, then he should have signed with the UFC. The perception now, with him not signing with the UFC, is that he didnt want to tarnish his legacy.

15. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

How does it not screw it up? For the last 2 years he has fought nothing but average fighters. And now he is going to fight nothing but average fighters for the next couple of years. That would be like saying that if the current #1 football team, the Steelers, were to sign on with the UFL and just pound the competition they could still call themselves the best team in football. It all comes down to if you want to be the best you have to be the best. It does not take away from previous wins, but when half your career is going to be made of fighting people that would get pounded in the UFC that screws your legacy up. And we as fans are the ones who are screwed the worst in this deal.

16. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

Yeah, but who in the UFC is the "best" right now. Maybe Lesner, so if Fedor signed with UFC and whipped lesner like we know he would, then what? Would he then fight Frank Mir or Tim Sylvia again? There is not that much quality competition in the heavy weight division of the UFC outside of Lesner and Lesner is overrated IMO anyways. I don't think you can compare the UFC heavyweight division with the NFL.

17. opticon

opticon Member

Fedor is scared of Brock. He did not want to have to take a pay cut just to get his butt kicked.

Truth be told I would rather see Brock fight Valesquiz or Carwin hell even Cro-cop.

18. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Don't rule out someone like Couture jumping over to Strikeforce when his UFC contract is over. That would really suck.

How are we supposed to watch his fights? I'm not ordering Showtime just to watch him fight.

19. KingCheetah

Strikeforce !?

Fedor is obviously avoiding UFC at all costs -- I don't think he is afraid of Lesnar - I think he just hates Dana White and the rest of the UFC goon squad.

20. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

Lesnar, Couture, Carwin, Velazquez, Kongo, Mir, Gonzaga. A lot like boxing there are not a lot of premier HW fighters in the world right now. Hopefully that will change soon. The fact remains that I want to see Fedor fight any of these fighters MUCH more than anything Strikeforce has to offer.