1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UFC 153] Silva v. Bonnar

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by redwhiteone, Sep 12, 2012.

1. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Lolwut :grin:

Anderson Silva vs. Stephan Bonnar headlines UFC 153

With his career winding down, Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran Stephan Bonnar (14-7 MMA, 8-6 UFC) has been begging for a big fight. Now he's got it.

USA TODAY Sports has confirmed with company officials that UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (32-4, 15-0) is moving up to 205 pounds to meet Bonnar in the three-round main event of UFC 153 event, which takes place Oct. 13 at Rio de Janeiro's HSBC Arena.

Additionally, Brazilian slugger Glover Teixeira (18-2, 1-0) meets fellow countryman Fabio Maldonado (18-5, 1-2) in the evening's co-main event. And in a bout first reported by Brazilian outlet Tatame, former interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (33-7-1, 4-3) faces Dave Herman (21-4, 1-2).

The new additions to the card were necessitated when original headliner, featherweight champ Jose Aldo, and original co-main-event fighter Quinton "Rampage" Jackson on Tuesday were forced to withdraw with injuries. Aldo's opponent, former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar, now will be rescheduled for a later date, while Teixeira, who was expected to face Jackson, now draws Maldonado.

"UFC 153: Silva vs. Bonnar" now features a six-fight main card that airs on pay-per-view. Preliminary-card bouts are expected to air on FX and stream on Facebook.

"We're back on track," UFC President Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Anderson Silva wasn't scheduled to fight at all. I called him today, and he's shooting a commercial in Brazil. Anderson Silva steps up, and Stephan Bonnar wants to fight him. The Teixeira vs. Maldonado fight comes together, and then Nogueira was standing right there with Anderson shooting the commercial with him, and he said he wanted to fight, too.

"This is old-school UFC. A card is in jeopardy, but guys that are world champions and superstars stepped up and jumped in and saved the card. This is why the fans love this sport and why we went on a 12-year run without canceling an event."

That streak recently ended, of course, when UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones declined a late-notice fight with two-time middleweight title challenger Chael Sonnen at UFC 151, and the promotion ultimately elected to scrap the entire event.

Bonnar's place in UFC history is secure as one-half of an epic 2005 fight with Forrest Griffin in the live finale of the first season of "The Ultimate Fighter." That bout is widely considered the starting point for the sport's current popularity growth. Bonnar later tangled with future champions Rashad Evans and Jones, among others, during a disappointing 2-5 stretch. However, he's since put together a three-fight win streak and has openly lobbied for fights with some of the sport's biggest names.

He certainly found that in Silva, who is widely considered the top pound-for-pound fighter in the sport. The Brazilian phenom is undefeated since 2006 and has won an incredible 15 straight fights in the UFC. The 185-pound kingpin has fought twice before in the UFC's light heavyweight division, earning first-round knockout wins of former 205-pound champ Griffin and James Irvin.

Maldonado had been expected to fight Jorgen Kruth at this month's UFC on FX 5 event. However, Kruth abruptly retired, and Maldonado was expected to shift to UFC 154, where he would meet Cyrille Diabate. But UFC officials had yet to announce the new fight, and Maldonado openly campaigned for the bout with Teixeira.

Meanwhile, Teixeira made his UFC debut in May with an impressive first-round submission win over Kyle Kingsbury. The result marked Teixeira's 16th straight win. His most recent loss came in March 2005.

Nogueira fights for the first time since suffering a broken arm in a December 2011 loss to Frank Mir. Nogueira was expected to fight Cheick Kongo at this past July's UFC 149, but "Bog Nog" ultimately decided his arm wasn't ready for action. He now meets Herman, who looks to snap a two-fight losing streak after dropping back-to-back outings against Roy Nelson and Stefan Struve.

2. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

If this is true

then Anderson Silva is a coward, and ducked Chris Weidman.. what a punk

Jon Jones isnt the one who pulled out of the fight with Hendo, but Stephon Bonnar wow

3. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

Weidman had elbow surgery on Friday. He was never in discussion to fight at 153. Furthermore, Silva is fighting up a weight class for Bonnar b/c he probably didn't want to have to worry about cutting weight. He just fought in July and probably wasn't thinking of fighting for a few more months.

The Silva and Jones situations are night and day.

Silva had zero training camp and zero obligation to take any fight. He stepped up so that his home country could enjoy some fights and we didn't have another 151 debacle.

Jones was scheduled to fight anyway, but decided not to fight a guy who (1) is in a lower weight class and (2) had zero training camp.

4. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Weidman should win fights against more impressive fighters i.e. Sonnen and Evans before he can step in the Octagon with Silva. I don't understand why he is being glorified as the next big thing. He has potential but Silva would make him silly when they meet.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wait, Bonnar...?

6. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

7. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Silva didn't even have to (and proceeded not to) keep his hands up against Forest, this one is going to be even more comical.

8. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

Whoa, didn't see this one coming. This is a weird fight, and a ginormous mismatch

Silva by annihilation

9. Asian Sensation

Freaking injuries. I was looking forward to Aldo vs Edgar and Rampage vs. Glover.

Bonnar is the last guy I want to see fight against Silva. Boo.

10. Beavis Stiffler

So what are the odds in Vegas for the main event of Anderson Silva vs. Stephan Bonnar?

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yeah, good luck on the PPV's on this one, Dana. lulz.

12. sew

sew Member

This blows my mind

13. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

14. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

I for one can't wait to see some more Matrix moves in the Octagon...

[​IMG]

15. body slam

body slam Member

I am not a big Silva fan, but I will give credit to both him and Big Nog for stepping up.

As far as Bonnar goes at least he will attempt to bring it to Silva. He's not top 10 or maybe not even top 20, but for the most part his fights are entertaining. The only top LHW not already scheduled or coming off a fight is Rashad. Which would basicly be Sonnen with KO power. So thats not going to happen. So long story short I'll take Bonnar for the win. Only because I do not like Silva.

16. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

thx for the info

anyways i take back what i said about Silva, this Bonnar is tough as nails from what i hear. Should be another highlight-reel KO. Anybody know if Chael will be training Bonnar

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yE3oM0MPZ_c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Prince

Prince Member

guy is gay.

19. body slam

body slam Member

awesome

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pwBel_iSruw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>