1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UFC 118] Edgar vs Penn 2

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RoxSqaud, Aug 24, 2010.

?

Who wins Penn vs. Edgar?

1. BJ Penn

72.5%
  2. Frankie Edgar

27.5%
  1. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

August 28, 2010

[​IMG]

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IovEE0cgqlI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IovEE0cgqlI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Main card

* Lightweight Championship bout: Frankie Edgar vs. B.J. Penn
    * Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. James Toney
    * Middleweight bout: Demian Maia vs. Mario Miranda
    * Lightweight bout: Kenny Florian vs. Gray Maynard
    * Welterweight bout: Nate Diaz vs. Marcus Davis

Preliminary card (Spike TV)

* Lightweight bout: Joe Lauzon vs. Gabe Ruediger
    * Lightweight bout: Andre Winner vs. Nik Lentz

Preliminary card

* Middleweight bout: Dan Miller vs. John Salter
    * Welterweight bout: England Nick Osipczak vs. Greg Soto
    * Welterweight bout: Mike Pierce vs. Brazil Amilcar Alves

2. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

Really looking forward to seeing Couture/Toney.

3. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Im pretty sure everyone alive is.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I want Couture to humiliate him, but like in every MMA fight, all it takes is one mistake.... I can see Toney tagging him. Boxer vs. wrestler/MMA. I hope it's a fun fight.

As for the Penn/Edgar fight. I almost always pull for Penn, but who knows which Penn we'll see. I'm all for Penn wrecking Edgar.

5. Asian Sensation

I originally posted that in the Silva vs. Sonnen thread but everybody needs to see that video. Freakin Hilarious!!!!!! If Randy Couture had trouble with Chuck Liddell's wild hay-makers in the past I think he may be in a world of trouble against James Toney. I don't think Toney is going to be that easy to take down either. Fools built like a bowling ball now and you know he's got strong legs from boxing and I'm assuming his cardio will be good even though he looks out of shape physically. I'm going for a Toney TKO.

Also Penn will finish Edgar this time whether it be by submission or KO. He will NOT lose to Frankie Edgar twice.

This is the last good card until UFC 121 where Lesnar destroys Cain. 119 and 120 are both going to be mediocre in terms of no top names.

6. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

It will be interesting to see how much Toney has worked on his take down defense. I think Couture wins via submission and Penn wins via KO. The look on Dana White's face if Toney knocks out Couture will be priceless. Since I'm sure someone will ask Saturday night, I usually use www.atdhe.net to watch the fight.

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Toney v. Kimbo could have been great. This one will still be good, barring a circus show.

8. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

I have been following MMA for 17 years...

I really hope James Toney knocks out Randy..

He better shoot in for a double and put James on his back...

If he tries to stand with James he will get knocked out...

9. Prince

Prince Member

Penn will have his vengeance.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

James Toney gives the best interviews of all-times!!!! "I don't know **** about MMA." :grin:

11. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

[UFC 118] Penn vs. Edgar/Couture vs. Toney

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7JQEP_Xh7nA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7JQEP_Xh7nA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Can't wait for this show.

I'm picking Penn although I won't be surprised if Edgar takes it again. A lot of people are still sleeping on him.

Couture vs. Toney will answer a lot of the arguments we've had on this board about MMA vs. Boxing. Most likely scenario Couture smashes him but I also wouldn't be surprised if Toney gets a good shot in and knocks out Couture.

Maynard vs. Florian is for the #1 contender in the Lightweight division and should be a great stylistic matchup.

Also you have Demian Maia vs. Mario Miranda. Always like to see Maia fight and it should make it interesting that Anderson Silva will also be in Miranda's corner. Nick Diaz vs. Marcus Davis is also going to be a crazy slugfest type of fight. Can't wait for that one.

This should be an awesome card. Who do you guys think will take the main event?

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

what??

13. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Edgar via Decision... Should be a repeat of the first Fight. Edgar too quick

Couture by SUB

Maynard by Decision... Maynard should out wrestle the smaller KenFlo

Maia by Decision... Both BJJ black belts, and neither have KO power

14. Asian Sensation

15. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I pretty much agree with all of this. I was disappointed win I saw Penn on espn saying he didn't train much, he rested. Penn's biggest problem has always been himself, talented enough to be at the top of pfp but his work ethic sucks.

I'm hoping Couture beats Toney up, so we can quiet the boxing purests up for at least a couple days. I love boxing, but people just don't get you need to be well rounded to succeed in mma.

17. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

I think Penn will stop Frankie "The Decision" Edgar somewhere around the later 3rd or 4th round (its fun making random ass stoppage predictions)

Its tough to call the Maynard/Florian fight. Its very probable that this fight will take place primarily on the ground and if so Maynard will out point Florian to a decision, BUT Florian is very dangerous off his back and can pop out a quick submission or open up Maynard with one of those razor sharp elbows. Either way I think Gray takes this one by decision.

Randy will beat Toney, but I dont really see how this is a true "litmus test" for the whole boxing vs MMA argument because it is under MMA rules so of course the MMA fighter has the advantage.

I see Diaz beating Davis by taking advantage of his superior reach

18. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

My thread is better.

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I think that is kind of the point. Most boxing guys say they can beat mma guys at their own game.

I don't think an mma guy can walk in and beat the pro boxer at his game.

Don't really want to totally get into this conversation, just saying.

20. sew

sew Member

I love how they use subtitles when Toney speaks