1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UFC 117] Silva vs. Sonnen

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RoxSqaud, Aug 2, 2010.

?

Who ya got taking this one?

1. Anderson Silva

67 vote(s)
    85.9%
  2. Chael Sonnen

11 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

Wow, INCREDIBLE ending!!! The whole time I was like, "Man, it's over, Silva lost, there's no way he'll be able to win-- OH @#$%! HOLLYYYY! Does he got it? HE'S GOT IT! WOW!"

I was in disbelief of what I was watching during the submission. I couldn't believe it. Reminded me of the Fedor loss and how it didn't feel real.

1 person likes this.
  2. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Silva got exposed badly.

And I called this 5th round win by Silva.

UFC is so predictable.

3. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Don't be that guy.

4. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

F***ING GREAT FIGHT!

I was biting my nails every time Chael had Anderson down...the fight was repetitive though considering it was:

Anderson strikes

Chael Takedown

Repeat.

Man, even after all the crap Chael said Anderson still went over after the fight and respected him...it was also great watching Chael speechless when Rogan was interviewing him after :grin:

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Most would probably say that the "slug fests" are the best UFC fights, but I have seen many of Silva's fights and he usually so dominant. This is what made this fight so shocking and intriguing to watch. Sonnen employed the perfect strategy for neutralizing Silva's superior striking. It worked perfectly for 4 3/4 rounds, then the dramatic and stunning finish. It was great in terms of shock value (most thought Sonnen didn't have a chance, including me), strategy, drama, and surprise ending. Very, very entertaining.

6. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

first time watching ufc, that was an epic fight! all i heard was that silva was this beast and sonnen beat him to the white meat, to me it wasnt a tap, ive always thought 3 taps is the tap but while it seems controversial to me it dont really matter cz he was locked in and he woulda tapped anyway but it was a great fight for the first time watching the ufc

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, I thought it was ridiculously entertaining...

8. Breaker

Breaker Member

By submission, in the last 2 minutes, after getting dominated by Sonnen the whole fight? Okie dokie, Cleo.

IMO, Silva just let him had his ways the first 4 and a half rounds, then with facility, slapped on the submission to retain his championship.

You can call it payback for all the trash talking he done. To have his come so close to winning the title and have it taken away with a snap of a finger.

Pure poetic justice.

1 person likes this.
  9. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

The submission was locked in so tight that it was either Sonnen going to sleep, getting his arm broken, or both if he didn't tap. And he did tap there...maybe Sonnen did it out of instinct and didn't even realize he did, but he tapped.

10. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

It was a triangle choke.

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Too late

12. PlanetG

PlanetG Member

Hell of a shocking end to that thing.

Also,
    -The Fitch fight was such a hugfest. Lolz.

-And how about that chin on Roy. Atta boy, big guy. Showed a lot of heart and toughness in the loss.

13. sew

sew Member

maybe not he best, but def one of the most dramatic

14. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Any links to the replay? I missed this one!

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Damn, sounds like I missed a classic last night.

16. VanityHalfBlack

It was entertaining and had me on the edge of my seat for what looked like I was about to witness an upset... Silva has won 11 straight I think and it was almost snapped if Sonnen hold on a little longer...

17. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Me and my brother-in-law made a bet on who is going to win between these two. He said that the bet would be a big mac. I agreed with the reward but the reason for the bet I did not because the skill set of Silva and Sonnen is just worlds apart. I thought it was going to be a walk in the park for Silva and he would crush Sonnen immediately in one round. When the fight began, boy was I wrong. It really seemed that there will be a new champ because Sonnen as just beating Silva to the ground.

The fight was awesome. I have a ton of respect for Sonnen now even though he lost. He backed his damn mouth and almost ripped Silva apart. Even though I won, I waived that bet because I enjoyed the fight a lot and even volunteered to buy him a big mac. A ton of respect for both Silva and Sonnen. Silva for showing what champions are made of and Sonnen for igniting Silva's competitive side again. Awesome fight, awesome fight :)

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ROMpp1oLBu0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ROMpp1oLBu0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tBz9oqZaX74?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tBz9oqZaX74?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.
  19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That was a thoroughly enjoying interview. Repped.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CZyO9MXqK54&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CZyO9MXqK54&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.