1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UFC 116] Lesnar vs Carwin

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RoxSqaud, Jun 29, 2010.

?

Carwin or Lesnar

1. Carwin

23 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. Lesnar

67 vote(s)
    74.4%
  1. sew

sew Member

Sonnen is no scrub.

2. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

It really says more about the genetic freak that is Brock Lesnar. He was an undefeated NCAA heavy weight champion his senior year, he could do a back flip off the top rope during his sports entertainment days, and he made it to the final cut on an NFL team after not having played football in over 5 years. He is truly one of the most gifted athletes anyone has ever seen.

1 person likes this.
  3. opticon

opticon Member

Fedor wants no part of Brock. Period end of story. I have never seen some one get punched like that be so calm. It was freaky to see Brock cover up his face. His forearms are so big they created a muscle shield that protected his face when we was on the ground.

4. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

agree 100% :grin:

Sexy yama :( better luck next time.
    Brock is a monster, can't wait for a rematch.

5. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Yeah, just because a guy looks to be getting pounded to death, a lot of those shots don't land solid, so it shouldn't be stopped on looks alone. Just because you can't immediately get up or away from someone swinging wildly, doesn't mean you are beat.
    Props to ref.

6. Asian Sensation

LOL @ muscle shield. Sounds like I missed a damn good fight. :mad: :mad: :mad: I had to have dinner with clients :mad: :mad:

7. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

Exactly. Great job by the ref. A lot of fights you'll see the fighter on top not connecting with a lot of shots and they'll stop the fight. Brock did a good job staying calm and blocking a lot of Carwin's punches.

8. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I think Brock initially tried to bring too much WWE into the UFC, acting all bad with his antics.
    It seems that he's trying to be more down to earth, especially with his interview after this fight.

9. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is this going to be on the internet or youtube sometime soon? i was trying to catch it at a bar but was way too tired

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Can anybody tell me how the first round went? Was Carwin in full mount and raining blows? What was the submission that Lesnar used? (God, I can't believe I just said that - I feel like I'm in some bizarro universe.)

Had Carwin not gassed, do you guys think he was better than Lesnar or was it still anybody's fight? I was interested in seeing if Carwin would be able to get away from a Lesnar takedown attempt or be able to get out from under him if he tried to ground and pound him.

11. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TDOyzlhyW1s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TDOyzlhyW1s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

12. opticon

opticon Member

I was going to answer you question but then some one just posted the utube clip watch that and it will tell you everything you want to know.

13. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Its UFC 117....and Chael is far from a scrub.....

and did you hear Brock in the post fight interview....he has humbled up alot.....much respect to him...

Awesome fight.....brutal first round for Carwin.....then a spectacular comeback submission......

Brock is a champion.

14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

u can catch it at mmatko.com. they usaully have all the matches up within a few hours.

15. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

EDIT: Oh, well, the video didn't take long to get up. :eek:

They traded a few swings early on, then it looked like they both clipped each other at the same time, and Lesnar attempted a takedown basically running Carwin into the fence, they both go down, and get right back up, so Carwin avoided that takedown. Carwin defended the takedown well on one occassion, but it wasn't a shoot, more of a clench and wrestle after being hit a few times.
    A few more swings in Shane lands a blow, Lesnar pedals back a bit, Carwin moves forward and lands a good uppercut that hurts Lesnar. Carwin chases Lesnar to the cage fence and Lesnar is simply covering and trying to recover, move away. Lesnar falls (not sure if he was nailed solid) and is on the ground at the edge of the cage. I don't think he is ever mounted, but in half guard. Carwin throws many punches and elbows, some land and cut Lesnar a bit, but I don't think he was ever hurt much.
    At the end of the first round, Lesnar recovers and gets up, they clench and hold, Lesnar is holding Carwins right wrist to prevent him from punching, so he recovers at the end of the round.
    Round 2, Carwin winks across the ring at Lesnar, Lesnar smiles as if saying 'I'm still here b****'...They throw a few single punches, obviously Carwin is tired and Lesnar is recovering.
    Lesnar shoots in and gets a takedown, in Carwin's halfguard. Lesnar gets his hinged-log of an arm around (left arm) Carwins neck just like he did to Frank Mir on their second fight. Lesnar gives a body shot and a head shot, pulls his leg out to gain full mount, and instead of going for gnp jumps over and sinks in a neck choke from the side. The announcer thinks that Carwin is ok due to the positioning, but the freak puts on the squeeze and Carwin promptly taps out.
    I don't think Carwin took a hit worth mentioning.

#175 TECH, Jul 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Geez. I just watched it. How Lesnar survived that destruction in the first round, I'll never know. Carwin's power was pretty much shown by the first uppercut that rocked Lesnar. Carwin's biggest problem was his stamina. This was basically an early BJ Penn except in the heavyweight division. BJ would come on and look like all-world, but then gas out completely by the 2nd or 3rd round of the fight. This was also a testament to the kind of athlete Lesnar was.

Damn! I'm still pissed though. I wanted Carwin to win this. I thought he would get destroyed by Lesnar, but almost the exact opposite happened. If he had any kind of stamina, I think he would've killed Lesnar by brain damage in that first round.

17. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

117...of course.
    I didn't even notice I messed that up.
    And yeah, scrub was probably a bit harsh. It was more me just thinking about how Silva always seems to be half trying and still dominating lately. And hearing how he should fight big name so and so. Personally, Anderson is one of my top 5 fav. fighters in the UFC, so I always look forward to seeing him fight.
    With all that said.....this still always makes me laugh a bit. NICE!
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/267i7rKeECA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/267i7rKeECA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

18. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks!!!! That was a great fight! Can't believe Lesnar took all those hits and was still able to get up.

19. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

I think Silva will still run through Sonnen.....

He played with the last guy like he was a toy on christmas.....because Dana was giving him chumps to fight...

Now he has a top notch guy in Sonnen to brawl with...so the skilled assassin that Silva can be will show up...and knock this guy out..

Silva is the p4p best in the world IMO.

that flying heel hook was pretty damn sweet though...

20. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Within the first few moments of the fight Carwin caught Lesnar with a glanicing short right then a good uppercut moments later to wobble Lesnar. After which Lesnar basically covered up agianst the cage until he was dropped by some more punches. While on the groud (4min left in the fight) carwin landed some really good shots in half guard and a big elbow.

Personally it just looked like Lesnar was dazed by the initial punches and did not have a good reaction to them. instead of immediately clinching or backing away Lesnar, put his head down covered up, was bent over, trying to clinch, retreating while bent over, and was thus absorbing more shots.
    Carwin clearly had the superior striking, with better combos, faster hands and counters. However, by the end of the 1st round his punches were noticeably slower even while on top gnpounding.

Easy for me to say now, but I thought Lesnar was going to win easily after the 1st round. Carwin was gassed, while Lesnar looked freshed in his corner. Even Carwin's trainers was yelling at him to not punch himself out. Carwin had no chance in the 2nd, as his evident by the two punches he threw while standing... it was slower than molasses. While Carwin looked gassed, Lesnar was bouncing on his toes and throwing crisp punches (a right that missed).

Lesnar is just a physical freak, to be that big and strong and fast yet to still have more stamina, to be able to absorb that kind of punishment and come out the fresher more composed fighter... phenomenal. Lesnar was able to win because of his stamina and skill... a fresh carwin could defend himself against Lesnar's shoot as evident in the 1st round, but a gas carwin has zero chance. And fresh or not, there's little chance surviving with Lesnar on top.