1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UFC 112] Silva vs Maia/Penn vs Edgar

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by farrisdabis, Apr 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

The only thing I got out of this UFC is that you shouldn't blow your nose when it's broken cause your eye may close like Maia's did.........other than that this was one of the worst fight cards I've ever seen.

2. luisantonio1014

No respect lost for Silva IMO. He had to face yet another scrub. UFC is weak at middleweight. Silva should just go back to fighting at 205.

GSP vs Silva would be epic, but I doubt it could actually happen if they had to do it at 170. I don't think Silva could go down anymore since he's already skinny. I think GSP wouldn't be very effective if he were to go up in weight since his athleticism is a major contributor to his success.

3. Asian Sensation

They could do a catch weight fight and meet somewhere around 175-180.

4. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

for those that missed the event, www.mmatko.com already has all the videos up except for the BJ/Edgar fight

5. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Heard that to....WTF :confused:

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Anyone know where I can watch a stream of each fight? The mmator.com link has the wrong recap of the penn/edgar fight.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

put silva against cain

he wont be able to bull**** like he did tonight.

8. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

Dude Silva vs. Cain? That's like 55 lb weight difference, silva is skilled at his weight just as Cain is at his. If you change weight by that much they lose their effective techniques. GSP is a lot more realistic as Silva has fought at 185. As someone else mentioned they could meet halfway.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Dana's saying that he was embarrassed by the way Silva handled himself in the ring. He's been blasting him since the fight. He added that he doesn't think he deserves to fight GSP. Maia is one of the best BJJ guys in the world, but the problem is that he couldn't get inside Silva's 5 inch reach advantage to put it to use. If Maia can't use his BJJ, he's pretty worthless because he sure as hell isn't going to win a standup war against Silva.

I thought Silva had lost his damn mind in the 2nd quarter when he started slapping the mat and begging Maia to come in and fight. The whole thing was just bizarre and embarrassing. It was borderline vulgar. The sad thing is that I don't think there's anyone else in the division that would give Silva any kind of run. Chael Sonnen may be the next fight for Silva, but big deal, he'll probably get destroyed, too. I honestly wonder if even GSP could give Silva a good run. Athletically GSP is one of the few who could match Silva's speed and strength, but he'll have to get inside Silva's jabs, and I don't know how good GSP's jaw is. Hell, Serra tagged him, so who knows. It'd be a hell of a fight, though. After this fight, I lost every ounce of respect I had for Silva. He's an assclown.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

GSP was probably going to fight Silva next, but at some compromised weight. That was the goal, anyway. But after the way Silva handled himself in the ring by acting like a jackass, Dana said he was embarrassed and that Silva didn't deserve the fight. Outside of GSP, the best bet for competition for Silva would be if he moved up in weight.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

LOL Sonnen. Please let him fight Silva!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O7gx57Y-uw0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O7gx57Y-uw0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9DU1afkJfQE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9DU1afkJfQE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

13. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I don't have any problem with the taunting, but only if Silva was going to actually try and finish the fight in the 3rd. The antics he pulled were actually pretty entertaining, and heck, if I paid $45 for the card, I'd want to get a few highlights out of the main event; but when you're good enough to punch a dude in the thigh, go long stretches dancing and dropping guard, there's absolutely no reason why you can't knock him out, and it's absolutely inexcusable to get on your horse and not engage at all if you're going to call out your opponent for stalling.

Munoz vs. Grove was a really entertaining bout, IMO; definitely deserved Fight of the Night. Gracie vs Hughes just made you appreciate what Randy Couture does at 46 even more.

B.J.'s loss just made the Lightweight division so much more interesting; UFC can now remake Edgar/Maynard for the strap, KenFlo can justifiably get another title shot against the winner, maybe you make a Penn/Gomi fight to build B.J. up again in the meantime, then let B.J fight the champ next?

GSP vs Silva would be purely for GSP, I would think; he's literally got no one left to fight at 170, while Anderson at least has Chael Sonnen and Vitor Belfort as fresh faces that might interest fans.

14. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

I love Anderson Silva, so tonight's fight was a big disappoint because he wasnt more aggressive. The middleweight division is bone dry. There is no one left that can even give Anderson a slight run for his money and any other challenger vying for his middleweight belt is going to be treated the same way Maia was treated tonight. I think the fight was a combination of ring rust but mostly Anderson sending a message he is tired of wasting his time fighting, in his eyes, scrubs. The second he realizes he is in no danger at all, he turns into Muhammed Ali, drops his hands and utilizes head movements and monkey manuerisms as his only defense strategies to actually make the fight challenging for him. He finished Forest with just bobbing and weaving and the funniest jab knockout ever, and IMO, could have finished Maia tonight if it wasn't his first fight back from a long lay off.

If Dana doesn't want to see what happened tonight happen again, then he's got to challenge Silva! Give him the winner of Rampage vs Rashad. Rampage will probably pose a bigger challenge because he won't be afraid to stand infront of Silva and has the hands to do it and while Rashad has shown improved stand up ever since he knocked out Salmon and Liddell, he pretty much completely abandoned his wrestling and morphed into a straight stand up guy. He ended up getting himself knocked out by Machida because of this but thankfully he finally went back to going to his wrestling against Thiago Silva. Another option is, if Shogun loses to Machida let him fight Anderson. Any one of these 3 guys would actually make Silva keep his hands up for an entire fight

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

cain is like 245 and anderson walks around at 215-220. Anderson has said he would like to try heavyweight. He clearly doesn't give a crap about 185 so lets see him fight some guys clearly bigger than him. Fedor does it all the time....i'd love to see anderson try it.

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I totally agree Silva should move up. I saw Dana probably a year ago say there was no way he would put GSP up against Silva because he is just to big, and after destroying in his first fight at lightheavy, it just wouldn't happen. Silva walks around at well over 200#'s. Some think because he fights most of the time at 185 and has the slender build that he's to small for heavyweight matchups. I disagree with that premise. I have a ton of respect for GSP but I would be surprised if he could handle Silva's length. Silva to me should fight a lower tier heavy to see how he stacks up, before making the jump. I say HW because there is no way he fights for a LH title unless Machida loses

17. Htown's2kFinest

what happen in the Hughes vs Gracie fight cause I didn't see that one yet? but let me guess hughes won it...

18. sew

sew Member

They decided to keep the fight standing and they both looked pretty horrible.

Hughes landed a bunch of leg kicks which pretty ended the fight. But overall, it was an embarrassing fight.

Gif of Maia in the 5th round. God I wish he would have KTFO Silva one of these.

[​IMG]

I don't understand why Silva didn't finish the fight here. One of the worst strikers in the MW division, with a broken orbital, is throwing crazy haymakers (from his knees, no less) and Silva does nothing... and this is after taunting Maia for not engaging in the first 2 rounds.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'd want that fight just for the trash talk alone. FYI : Maia beat Sonnen via submission in the first round last year. Of course, Marquardt beat Maia and Sonnen beat Marquardt, so who knows what any of this means. :)

One option is to allow to happen what was supposed to be the fight in Abu Dhabi - Silva vs. Belfort. I'm not sure Belfort could win, but it may be fun to watch.

20. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Belfort sure as hell won't let Silva just stand their sticking his chin out. At least with Belfort he'll have the hand speed to hopefully catch Silva if even through luck. It's a shame because both had to medically back out at different times. Silva looked lightning fast, and no lead off misses either. That middle kick that doubled over Maia followed by taunting must have been pretty embarassing.