1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UFC 104] Machida vs. Shogun

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by farrisdabis, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

yeah shogun bruised his ribs, wounded his legs, and busted his lip, but machida still won. wheres the logic in that??????? :mad:

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

As far as I'm concerned. Boxing is not dead.

There are going to be plenty of controversial decisions in UFC, boxing, or any other MMA sport. Don't be so quick to judge that UFC is going downhill after one fight.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is nonsense.

4. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

more or less i think the judges went in thinking "did machida deserve to lose", machida may not have won, but you can argue that he didn't lose either... yea yea...

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

That was complete robbery. I has Shogun winning four rounds and I could have easily given him all 5. Machida did very little in that fight. Dana has already stated he felt Shogun won the fight and ordered an immediate rematch. You could just look at the body language after the fight. Look at Machida. He knew he lost the fight. Shogun showed a ton of class. There are mutliple petitions on Sherdog with thousands of signatures on it for them to overturn the decision (which is pointless because it will never happen). I've never seen anything like this over an MMA decision. I can't understand how anyone could think Machida won that fight, and I picked him to win.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

This is a clear example of why you don't leave the decision in human hands, to many corrupt or simply stupid people who are in positions of power that can create junk like this. Shogun will get his rematch and should go for the knockout to avoid any type of controversy.

7. KingCheetah

Should they use robots ?

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

While that's true, judges are there for a reason. If the only way you can beat a champ is by submission or knockout, you put challengers and a nearly unclimbable disadvantage. If Machida knows the only way he'll ever lose his title is if he gets submitted or knocked out, he can dominate nearly anyone who gets in the ring with him.

9. rockets934life

No not at all but my point was the fighters should go for the knockout because when you leave it in human hands it can be odjective or just plain dirty. I wasn't necessarly just singling out last night but in general to many fights in both boxing and MMA where you can obivously see the judges either screwed up or had an agenda.

10. rockets934life

Agree, and thats the issue. While it seems very unfair for the challenger it is the way to many fights go and its to bad because great fights like last night get tarnished.

11. x3ldonx

x3ldonx Member

Robots will not change anything, leave the judging the same it will reflect on many more decisions to come. For the most part like someone else mentioned, nights like last nights judging happen it shows the imperfection and flaws in sports.

Rua was robbed, he was the better fighter.

FYI - Dana said they will have a rematch, but I don't see any point because the fact of the matter is Rua has to change his game plan completely now. Machida is a very skilled fighter and it will be tough to "defeat" him again.

12. VanityHalfBlack

Damn, that was a bad ass fight... Shogun busted that body with them knees hard... Muay Thai beats Karate any day, dat boy got robbed...

13. KingCheetah

You are dead wrong on this -Robots will change everything.

14. sew

sew Member

This was an awesome fight. I know most people like the all out brawls, but for me, nothing beats tactical fighting.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Except shogun didn't dominate. Despite what joe rogan was saying shogun was getting hit a bunch when he got those kicks off. I think 1st 2 rounds could have been scored either way and machida won the 3rd. Do I think shogun should have won yes, but this was not a one sided domination like so many people like to think.

16. VanityHalfBlack

Machida did better in round 1 until later in the rounds he got caught with those nasty kick and knees to the body...

17. King1

Actually, he did. He perfectly executed his game plan and took Machida completely out of his. Ring generalship and dictating the fight are two huge components of winning. Rua dominated both of those categories. Not to mention he landed more shots. I can't think of a single thing Machida did last night better then Shogun. Round 3 was the only round I gave to Machida. There were about 20 of us watching the fight (and most were pulling for Lyoto) and not one person gave him more then two rounds. The consensus was 4-1 honestly. I was shocked as I picked Machida to win convincingly, but he clearly lost that fight.

18. King1

I felt round 1 was close but Shogun finished strong. I only gave Lyoto the third

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

http://fightmetric.com/fights/Machida-Shogun.html

Shogun landed 82 strikes out of 149.
    Lyoto landed 42 strikes out of 116.

Shogun had 55% accuracy
    Lyoto had 36% accuracy

Shogun landed 17 shots to the head (12 power shots).
    Lyoto landed 14 shots to the head (8 power shots).

Lyoto landed 24 shots to the body
    Shogun landed 16 shots to the body

Shogun landed 49 leg kicks.
    Lyoto landed 4 leg kicks.

Shogun landed 48 strikes from distance.
    Lyoto landed 26 strikes from distance.

Shogun landed 34 strikes from the clinch.
    Lyoto landed 16 strikes from the clinch.

20. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

That's all Forrest Griffin needed to steal the belt from Rampage.

After all the hyperbole last night and letting everything settle down, I still thing Shogun won that fight. Shogun had a way better performance and the numbers proved it.

That said, I doubt Shogun takes the rematch. Lyoto won't let that happen to him again.