1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ufc 101] Run Forest Run!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by chonox, Aug 13, 2009.

1. chonox

chonox Member

Not sure if this has been posted but following Griffins destruction by Silva at UFC 101 I thought this was pretty hilarious

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Twrfxqpxos&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Twrfxqpxos&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Also for those who haven't read yet, the rumors that Forest had his jaw dislocated early in the fight were untrue.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9333&zoneid=13

Silva is a bad, bad man :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

That first gif is amazing. It's like he knew exactly what he was gonna do.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Dana White cannot be happy about this. Silva basically came in and made a top 5 light heavy weight and the closest thing the sport has to a real life Rocky Balboa say "uncle" after punching him in the face at will for several minutes. Silva is a good fighter but he is not that good. He appears to be the best fighter at 205 after he steam rolled everyone at 185 and that's just sad for the UFC.

More than anything I think the striking skills (or lack of) of UFC fighters has been exposed pretty badly. We're talking about a guy in Silva who was knocked out in the second round the only time he fought a *decent* boxer. The fight he won was against a guy who was about 6 inches shorter, was in his pro boxing debut and from what I can find never fought professionally again.

So the UFC has a guy who couldn't keep himself from getting knocked out quickly by an average pro boxer dominating its guys and now having a knock out (with punches only) against it's poster boy in what was one of the most embarrassing losses for Griffin that I have ever seen a fighter in any discipline go through. No wonder Dana wants Silva staying far, far away from Roy Jones Jr. It would set the UFC back 5 years to have it's best striker (and best p4p) guy getting murdered by a boxer who is now considered washed up by the boxing community.

I like MMA and the UFC organization but I think it's fans and the organization itself got a reality check that won't be good for business in the short term.

4. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

Wow, both fighters have atrocious boxing skills. One is jut way worse than the other.

5. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Theres not much that can happen in the LHW division, as Silva wont be fighting Machida, because theyre training partners and friends, and Silva is only under contract for 3 more fights under UFC. Dana white is in trouble in more ways than one.

6. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

Griffen looked soooooo horrible in this match compared to his fights from the past it almost gave me the impression that he took a dive.

7. DaDream

DaDream Member

He did look much worse than other fights. I wonder if he partied too hard the night before.

say what you want about UFC fighter boxing skills ..... it is still 10 times more entertaining than the POS that is now boxing.

8. DaDream

DaDream Member

they should let Roy Jones JR fight Silva.
    Silva would take him to the ground and it would be over in a minute

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I would be no more suprised at Silva losing to Roy Jones at boxing than I would be at, say, Paul Williams losing to Chuck Liddel at an MMA fight.

Different rules, different sport. What is effective striking in the MMA context is not neccesarily so in boxing. Heck, what works for boxing at tha amateurl level don't neccesarily translate to the pros due to head gear, scoring method, etc. I recall watching the Olympics last year and half of works there for some of the guys winning medals would probably get them killed in the pros. Look at basketball, even... Tim Duncan got frustrated playing FIBA ball and I don't think that somehow made NBA illegitimate.

If MMA's talent level is that low, I'd imagine some mediocre pro boxer would have the economy incentive to switch sports so he can dominate lower-level competition and probably make better money than a mediocre pro boxer would.

10. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

You cannot compare an MMA fighters stand up to that of a Boxer's. It's called MIXED Martial Arts for a reason. The MMA guys have to train some many things including boxing, if their sole focus was stand up, their Boxing would look so much better.

11. VanityHalfBlack

hahah, Classic...

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

In my dreams, I don't even own people that much. (first gif)

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Money attracts the best athletes and boxers make more money.

If the MMA guys could box professionally, they would drop MMA because there is more money in boxing. Boxing skills takes years to develop. Most championship boxers have boxed since before elementary school. This is why Ray Mercer knocked out Tim Silva. The difference in skill level for elite boxers versus MMA is not even close.

Just watch the Cung Le fight and you what I mean. His striking skills are head and shoulders above everyone else and he still wouldn't make it a few rounds against the best boxers.

If you took Roy Jones Junior and taught him BJJ for a couple of years, he would dominate MMA. Mike Tyson would obliterate anyone in MMA if you taught him how to sprawl and defend against the take down.

I'm not dogging MMA. I love MMA. I'm just saying MMA is still maturing as a sport and they don't attract the best of the best(except in wrestling) yet. As MMA becomes more lucrative, you will start seeing some crazy talent come out. Genetic freaks who have trained since they were little kids like Tyson to be the world champ.

14. Yao Rambis

Yao Rambis Member

You are wrong. Silva is that good. He would destroy any boxer you put in front of him. MMA takes a lot more than boxing. Without a good takedown defense, a boxer is goiing to lose to any halfway decent MMA fighter.

Not good for business? That's where you're really wrong. Silva's last 2 fights weren't good for business, because he played it safe, relying primarily on counterpunches and the clinch. This fight was money.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If you are a good boxer you can make 3-6mil a fight. Even the best ufc guys don't make that much. A superstar in boxing can make 20mil+. No chance a ufc can make that. I think boxing guys are in better shape. You rarely see a boxer with flab.

16. DaDream

DaDream Member

LOL that makes me laugh. You are a funny guy.

So JJ takes only a couple years to master and Boxing is like 15 yrs.
    LOL

17. Prince

Prince Member

the same thing happened to the DeLa Hoya and Pacquiao fight. Manny was just to quick.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

19. rockbox

BJ Penn

20. rockbox

Tell that to Tim Silva who got knocked out by a 50 year old Ray Mercer.