1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uber

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dnjndmrc5, Aug 13, 2014.

1. astros123

astros123 Member

Felix why arent you mentioning that uber cut its prices by 15% in chicago/LA/phoenix/denver and will soon roll that out here ?

Base fare will be .80 cents/ .21 cents a minute/ and 1.15 per mile.

also dont forget the 40 dollars a month fee thats a fixed cost you will have if you are a part time driver or a full time driver.

Theres a reason alot of uberx drivers are going on strike. Tons of them are claiming they cant even make minimum wage.

2. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Dude, why are you being such a dick about it? You claim you don't have anything against them and then you go on a tirade where you just act the ass.

3. astros123

astros123 Member

you are getting me completely wrong here. I RIDE uber all the time, I just would not work for them because their insurance policys are sketchy as fk. They have a "supplement, excess" policy that will cover you if something happens as a driver. But knowing that your primary insurance will not kick in, why not make that the primary insurance to begin with? You are asking for hurdles and bs. Theres a reason why yellow cabs have their insurance as primary is turned on for the same coverage 24/7.

And i fkin hate yellow cab with a passion so dont get me wrong. Id rather walk then take their ****ty service

4. astros123

astros123 Member

Im not on any sort of tirade. Im just stating facts that arent being mentioned. With uber cutting its rates down, its GREAT for consumers because we have a bidding war between the CEOs of Lyft and Uber. Theres thousands of ubderx drivers who have came out against the new rates though.

Srsly with those rates it makes it drive to be a reputable driver.

5. Yonkers

You say you are stating facts except you just claimed that Uber insurance isn't primary. Yet Felix already refuted that with this post.
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9184854&postcount=128

6. Yonkers

With that said, I agree with you... I don't quite see how it is that profitable to be an Uber driver. Look at my earlier posts breaking down the costs and profit.

7. likestohypeguy

I think a useful service could be app that dispatches an unlicensed tow truck driver to any parking spot being occupied by a hipster trying to sell it, and for a small fee the driver will shoot that hipster in the face with a shotgun.

8. astros123

astros123 Member

What happens when you're on your way to pick up a fare? Why not make that insurance primary the entire time?

9. astros123

astros123 Member

Most people do not understand that you're a 1099 employee. You will be responsible for paying self employment taxes + income taxes. You'll be paying 15.3% social security/medicare taxes and ON TOP you'll be paying income taxes also. Then you factor in the maintenance,gas,insurance,wear and tear and I think its pretty tough.

If you take the IRS deduction of 55 cents per mile, its still pretty damn tough making those newer rates. I hope all of you guys good luck but just do your own research.

10. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Fair enough. Can't argue with that.

11. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Felix and I have tried explaining to you that we have already done the research, known about complaints, but still are having a good time and making profits while driving.

Yet you continue with this weird attempt to sway us out of Uber. It's just....strange.

12. Yonkers

That doesn't make sense. No business does that. When I run to the datacenter to install something for my company, I'm on the company dime. After that when I go to the Men's Club for lunch, they're not responsible for it if I pull out on Sage St and hit someone.

13. astros123

astros123 Member

Im not swaying you out of anything. If you guys did your own research how come felix didnt know it was illegal in Houston this wholet time lol?

Anyways I run my own business and plan on hoping a business account with Uber. I think the company has loads of potential but these shortcuts their proposing isnt good long term imo. How can you have good drivers who I can trust in a car with cutting wages more?

Is 10 dollars a week really needed for its app fee? And on top of that another 20% plus keeping the safe driver fee?

If uber cut its commission to 15% and took out the weekly fee, then you would have more quality people looking at the margins and applying. Thats what makes uber great is that its your everyday college kid or young guy trying make corner meets. If at some point their margins are being tightened, their going to quick and move on. Then you're stuck with the same ****ty yellow cab drivers who can hardly speak english and take you in fkin circles.

14. astros123

astros123 Member

Yes going to mens club is your time off. If you are in route to install something you are still technically on Business mileage. If you are driving to work that is considered commuting and is not tax deductible.

So if you are a uber driver and you have your phone on, and are looking for fares then you are under their excess/secondary insurance policy.

15. Yonkers

Yeah, okay. I agree with that.

16. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Lol. By chance Astro, do you own a cab business?

17. crose

Supporting Member

Uber is clearly on the decline in Houston.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en data-scribe-reduced-action-queue="><p>.<a href="https://twitter.com/Uber_Houston">@Uber_Houston</a> was kind enough to make me &quot;Rider Zero&quot; for their launch of UberBLACK and UberSUV today! <a href="http://t.co/IUJDYcbBbK">http://t.co/IUJDYcbBbK</a></p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/statuses/500366775096070144">August 15, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. astros123

astros123 Member

No I own a medical equipment business. If you were to actually pay attention you would see I used uber and spent decent amount of money on my fares.

19. TheresTheDagger

I'm signing up to be a driver, but am unsure if this is available yet where I live (Billings, MT). Regardless, they are growing exponentially and I expect eventually it will hit here. I can't wait. Easy money to be made, I get to set my own hours, and since it's a non cash business (with a HUGELY growing business model) its safer than driving a cab and less complicated to enter into.

Taxi companies are rightly freaking out right now. I have no sympathy.

20. crose

Supporting Member

astros123 faints