1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U.S. tipping Mexico to Minuteman patrols (Daily Bulletin)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jo mama, May 9, 2006.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

the minutemen arent breaking any laws.

2. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

[​IMG]

Coming to a freeway near you.

3. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Umm, voting and writing your congressman does absolutely nothing where this issue is concerned. As evidenced by the recent immigration bill debate in the senate, the lawmakers are more concerned with appeasing the hundreds of thousands of immigrants marching in the streets, not doing what the American voter wishes them to do on the issue.

Neither party is very interested in solving our immigration mess.

Take a look at the small judiciary committee chaired by Ted Kennedy. He and McCain effectively destroyed the tough immigration reform bill that the congress passed.

Do you think they would be willing to open it up to a nationwide vote on this so that the will of the people can be done? Hell no they wouldn't. They would much rather kill the issue in a backroom so that the American public doesn't get it's say.

Even when the American people do get the chance to vote to do something about our immigration problem, their will is subverted (take a look at prop 187 in CA, overwhelmingly favored by the voters, quietly killed in the courts by the liberals so that it never took affect.)

Is that democracy? The will of the greater public is just fine until it disagrees with your own agenda, then it must be squashed?

#43 Aceshigh7, May 11, 2006
    Last edited: May 11, 2006
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course many of those hundreds of thousands of immigrants marching in the street are American voters as well.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

When they start FINING those Employers that employ illegal workers . . wake me up.

otherwise . . .

*YAWN*
    Our Government is not interested in protecting *US*

better to just listen to our phone convos.

Rocket River

6. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I'm going to give you the same advice I give to liberals who complain that special interests and corporations have taken over government and they are powerless to do anything about it. Get out and particpate participate participate and organize organize and organize!

Have you worked on a campaign before? Have you given money to a campaign before? Have you spoken to your Congressional rep, State rep, Mayor or City Councilor before? Have you been to a party convention? Have you participated in writing a platform? The reason our democracy sucks is because too many take the attitude that the system is controlled by special interests. Well guess what the democracy is run by those who participate and why so many parties on the local and national level seem to be controlled by small group of interests is because those are the people who participate.

Look I don't agree with your stance but my word of advice is if most Americans really approve of a draconian immigration policy then organize to help get a few senators and Congressmen who don't support that policy voted out and sure as heck you will see the next Congress supporting tightening up immigration policy.

7. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Excuse me for my cynicism toward your idealism. If my memory serves me right, democracy failed in the campaign against illegal immigration in California. The Proposition 187 was passed by a landslide margin by the voters in 1994, but it was overturned later on by a handful of people who had the control over the executive and judicial branch in the state.

#47 wnes, May 11, 2006
    Last edited: May 12, 2006
  8. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

If memory serves, I recall supreme court justices are elected in CA., the proponents of prop 187 should've then moved to have those judges defeated. Yes it is true there are checks in balances in our systems, particularly at the Fed. level, but that doesn't mean we give up on democracy just because the majority doesn't always get their way. With enough patience and organization though big changes can be affected in the US political landscape. Anyone that doesn't think so just needs to look at how the Republican party came back from near death to control all three branches of the elected Fed. Gov. and pretty much gained the upper hand in the judiciary.

The only alternative to workng to affect democratic change is violent revolt something that no matter what some posters think is never a good thing.