1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U of F president: Richard Spencer hoping for violence to build movement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Oct 19, 2017.

1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

That's okay. I know arguing is much easier when you can just call your opponent a racist.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well nearly everyone in this country shows bias against blacks - liberals, conservatives, white, black - all do. The Results of the test are astonishing. And no one showed a biased TOWARDS blacks, so that's why I don't believe you. I didn't call you a racist, but you do argue like many people who are.

And it's for the courts to decide whether Spencer is about inciting violence or not. I think he is. You argue that it's the other groups fault there is violence and while they play a hand, it's clear as day that Spencer is looking to provoke the other side which is why he is using public universities to create controversy which is from violence.

If protestors didn't show up, if the flames and anger wasn't there, he wouldn't bother showing up. The alt-right showed that in their "Freedom of Speech Week" when after it got approval at Berkeley and it was clear it wouldn't draw as much controversy as they were looking for - they canceled the event which proves these groups are looking to start trouble and use that trouble to build their brand.

I don't know how you just pretend that's not the case.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Thanks. Let's see how it goes.

4. JuanValdez

I was curious so I took it. It called me a racist. It says I have a strong preference for white people over black people. I'm skeptical, but there you go.

5. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

I took that test, too...

...said that I showed no apparent preference between white people and black people.

Now ain't that a kick in the head... the jig (pun intended) is finally up...my cover's blown for good now....

CometsWin likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Having implicit bias doesn't make you a racist. It just means that your gut reaction to things is biased and most Americans have some bias because of the way we are raised and the media.

If you are aware of your bias and how it might impact your judgements that's the key. Most people rationalize their bias by finding some other fault to justify what they can't admit to themselves. That's why most racists don't think they are racist.

7. JuanValdez

Yeah, but I think it was the test at fault. Is that me rationalizing?

It started off pretty easy, but by the end they had switched around the buttons on me and I have to remember that one thing that used to be on the right is now on the left, but another thing on the left is still on the left. I was not only slow, I picked the wrong thing half the time. I don't think being slow-witted should count as implicit racial bias.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The idea of the test is to confuse you a bit - they measure the time it takes you to respond as part of the test. I showed up as having a slight bias. Again it's not about your conscious state, it's about measuring your implicit bias. Most people are not conscious of their bias. I think Gladwell became famous for this in Blink.

It's why marketing surveys are notorious off when you ask people why they act one way or the other. The reality is a lot of people don't know the real reason they do something because all of us rationalize our decisions based on what we feel is appropriate and acceptable.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Given that the violence is coming from his supporters I think the case can be made that his speaking appearances are inciting violence.

10. StupidMoniker

Sorry, I guess I am just a unicorn. Believe it or not, those were my results.
    It's only up to the courts to decide if someone files a lawsuit about it. As it stands, all we have is precedent, and the precedent which is directly on point is Brandenberg v. Ohio.
    Oh, I absolutely think his goal is to court controversy. That is why I said from the very beginning that my preferred response is to just ignore him and he will go away. Here you are admitting that if he is ignored he will just go away. The fact that his motive is to generate a controversial response doesn't take him outside of the bounds of Brandenberg. Giving an intentionally provocative political speech doesn't strip away your first amendment protections.

11. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Maybe the thing is just broke?

I mean, come on...it said I tend to treat white people and black people the same...

ME...the poster child for reverse-racist n!ggerishness....think about how that fries my white-devil-hating bacon...

JuanValdez likes this.
  12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's a lot easier to connect those dots when they're constantly defending racism and racists under the pretense of some intellectual prowess.

#72 CometsWin, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The fact that people who follow him are committing violence leads credence to the idea that he is doing more to court controversy, or that the violence helps him the attention he needs. It's not like he is explicitly instructing people at his rallies not to attack protestors and to respect their right of free speech. NO, he is organizing and inviting Neo-Nazis to his rallies - a group who is dedicated to violence. How can you say he does not expect people he is organizing to come to commit violence. He is hoping for that. Violence lets people like Trump claim "both sides" are responsible and thus escalate them up a level.

His stated goal is to forcibly remove minorities from this country. How is that not violent?

You act like this guy is MLK, preaching non-violence. He does not. The goal of his movement is violence and his followers commit violence. You may defend his right to speak - ok. But don't tell me he isn't knowingly looking for violence. You know that's his objective. He needs it.

14. StupidMoniker

Um, I didn't say he does not expect the people he is organizing to come to commit violence. I said that like the KKK speakers in Brandenberg, he is not calling for imminent violence, and thus his speech is still given first amendment protections. What lets people like Trump claim that "both sides" are responsible is when both sides are committing violence. You know what would not let him say both sides are responsible? If one side was non-violent (or even if one side just didn't show up). The second Charlottesville march gave the perfect blueprint for how to respond to him. There were no big protests, there was no violence, there was limited media coverage, and Spencer and his buddies came and chanted their BS for ten minutes and then left.

BTW, you know what else helps his cause? When people try to ban him from speaking. The bans draw media attention, he gets to play the victim, he gets to sue the University (and most likely win) and then he gets to move on to the next place.

Who said it wasn't violent. The distinction is a call for imminent violence versus advocacy for violence in general in support of a goal.
    Where are you getting this stuff. When did I ever say Richard Spencer was like MLK (I'm pretty sure I equated him to the KKK, which is markedly different than King, though they are both represented by three initials, the third of which is K) or that he was preaching non-violence. That isn't at all the issue in whether or not his speech is protected.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

"Fighting words" doesn't have to be a direct call to violence. I agree one has to be careful here. The question arises whether or not his words are resulting in violence. His last two speeches it does have two violence events. Whether or not the other side is looking for a fight is immaterial. The fact is that people are bringing guns and incendiary tactics such as torches which are symbolically fighting words. He is encouraging this - he is in fact an organizer of these events. And nowhere does he discourage violence. MLK reference is hyperbole for effect as you have pointed out his statement that he is looking for a non-violent movement of ethnic cleansing (which is a contradiction).

Let me be clear - I am not saying he shouldn't be allowed on campus for his hateful rhetoric (which has zero value), but because he is a knowing instrument in violence. Someone has died here.

But let me ask you this. Why can't anyone speak at a public university? Does a University now have to accommodate 150 speakers? What if someone wants to speak about their dead cat? The University doesn't have discretion here based on academic value? I am not saying it should have discretion but just raising the question on what are the limits as 100's of groups can now demand that they get University support and facilities for their expression of their first amendment and threaten to sue otherwise.

As for a University saying no giving him what he wants and letting him play victim. Yes...but it's a lose lose situation. The vast majority of liberals will defend his first amendment rights - you don't see many here posting about curtailing the first amendment. Antifa does not represent liberals - they are against Democrats and Republicans. They are fools. Fighting violence with violence is liking screwing for virginity. But Fascism results in violence because there are just idiots who can't help from taking the bait. Nazism is fighting words. When you go out and say - "we are going to ethnically cleanse people who are inferior to white people" how is that not fighting words? If it is not, then the ruling is meaningless.

Spencer knows all of this. And doesn't raise a finger to stop it. And it is his supporters that are committing acts of violence that are not in self-defense. Ramming a car through a group of bystanders is not an act of self-defense - so how can you defend it by saying it's "both sides" and this implicitly blaming the protesters for that woman's death??? That seems weird coming from a party that talks about taking accountability and hates it when a liberal blames others for a criminal act. It smacks of bias.

Once the courts rule on Ohio, it won't draw anymore attention in that arena. If he wins, Universities will accommodate him and he will continue to tour universities and protests to grow his brand and influence. But if he loses, it strikes a blow to this fascist movement.

16. StupidMoniker

They are two different issues. Public speeches about incendiary topics like Spencer's talk at UF, the Charlottesville marches, or KKK marches in black or Jewish neighborhoods are analyzed under Brandenberg v. Ohio. This is political speech and the court has allowed even support of violence and lawlessness in furtherance of a political agenda. Fighting words is when you say something directly to another person that is so offensive that the natural reaction of that other person would be to attack you. If someone came up to Richard Spencer and said his mother is a w****, that could be fighting words. If someone held a rally on a campus and said that it should be okay to punch Nazis, that is protected political speech, even though it is supportive of lawlessness and violence.
    That is not the question. It may be your question, but it has no legal effect.
    Of course it isn't. You can't ban political speech because it is opposed by a violent group. If Nazis showed up to every Democratic Party event and started hitting people and burning cars, would you call for Democrats to be barred from holding events? You cannot take away people's rights because other bad actors create a disturbance.
    Tiki torches are fighting words now? Are luaus just constant orgies of violence?
    The government cannot create a duty for Spencer to discourage violence. Compulsion to make political speech would be absolutely corrosive to freedom and democracy.
    That's why the campus had security. No one died at UF or any of his university speeches. Someone died in Charlottesville during his first march there when there was widespread violence between the racists and the protesters. I already told you the solution to that problem.
    They are allowed time, place, and manner restrictions. For example, you cannot just march into a classroom during a lecture and start giving a speech. There would be some mechanism in place for the distribution of limited resources (in this case, time in fora for speeches). The mechanism must be content neutral. I would guess there is some sort of first come first serve basis.
    I know. It is baffling that you are doing so.
    They are communist (more specifically anarcho-communist) fools. It isn't that they represent liberals, it is that they are far left radicals.
    See above re: the difference between political speech and fighting words.
    People say both sides were violent because both sides were violent. Factual statements are not a defense of a position or implicit blame. The only reason it is necessary to say both sides have violent actors is because people insist on saying only one side is violent. I blame Rachel Haier's death only on the moron that drove his car into a crowd of people, not on the protestors and not on Spencer.
    Yep. Unfortunately, if he loses it not only strikes a blow to his fascist movement, but also to free speech in America. I would rather protect free speech than damage an already marginalized extremist group.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I think we disagree on a few things.

1. I see his speech as inspiring violence from his followers and that is why it is not protected speech. It would not be right if it was Antifa firing guns and running people over, but it is not, it is his followers.

2. You see Robert Spencer as not a threat - he is harmless in your eyes. To me, he is a danger to the safety of all minorities.

So we can't get anywhere in our discussion because we simply do not agree on these two points. I appreciate your respectful debate.

18. JuanValdez

I get it. But it does seem like a sweet gig. You make a test and if anyone says it doesn't work, you respond, "it's testing for implicit bias, so you don't even know how much of a racist you are without this test." How do you test a test like this for accuracy anyway? So I googled it and found a bunch of articles dogging the test for exactly this problem, like this one. I don't have any problem with the idea of implicit bias. It's not even that I don't think I have an implicit bias. I see it in myself. I just think the test -- or at least the test-taking atmosphere of just sticking it on the internet -- is not rigorous. Maybe if I went into the psych department office and sat in a cubicle, eagerly awaiting my $5 Starbucks gift card for submitting to testing, I would have the mental focus necessary to try as hard on test #7 as I did on test #2. Maybe those Harvard guys can still use the data in aggregate, but the results for one individual test-taker on one individual day is probably not something that should change how you see yourself.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I know the limits of this test, which is why I just said having a score of implicit biased does mean you are racist - it doesn't predict behavior well and that's not what it should be used for. It's a useful tool to help people realize that they do have implicit bias and to question their attitudes and wonder what they are rationalizing and what is coming from someplace else. That's its usefulness. But in no way is it meant to be a judgement on someone or predictor of behavior.

It's a tool to help drive self-awareness around bias. That's all.