1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U of F president: Richard Spencer hoping for violence to build movement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We're not talking about crime or what should be criminalized more than something else. We're talking about hate itself. I don't think you understand what it means when you have a group that has hatred for another group and saying that's a problem. You act like Neo-Nazis are harmless kittens and the only alternative to accepting them is to throw them in jail.

Genocide starts with hate. Every time we see genocide it was precursored with hate campaigns. This was true in Germany, Japan, India/Pakistan. Genocide doesn't start with violence, it starts with leaders making speeches about differences in people and the superiority of one over the other.

In interviews they gave before the incident, they had said peaceful means was not working and that perhaps time it was to consider violence.

Because if society doesn't condemn these ideas and these people and they gain mainstream momentum, you will have a lot of blood.

They were driven by a collective group of people with shared ideas on race and what their "community" is. It wasn't just a single person. No one came to them and said this is wrong. Their neighbors did not get involved. No one wanted them there. You bet there was leadership behind it.

Naturally using violence as a reaction isn't the answer, but no one here is espousing that - so this is a strawman argument you are making. No violence is not the answer, but neither is passivity and just "ignoring them". This is a real problem now with a person like Trump giving them legitimacy, and they have to be fought in the arena of ideas. I think your approach of ignoring them and hoping the movement will go away is exactly the mistakes of history.

You are the target of ISIS (we all our) but you are not the target of the radical left - that's stupid. Hate against you isn't in your day-to-day life. It is in most black people's lives.

Ideas should be open to discussion, but how would you propose having a discussion around exterminating Jews should go? Should a University hold a public conversation on the extermination of Jews as a valid platform for solving the Mid-East impasse? You just said all ideas should be discussed. So you would support this as freedom of ideas correct?

zksb09 likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Lmao about being a target for being a white conservative in California.

That's beyond rich to even start as a debating point shows how entitled, bubble ridden, and tone deaf you are to people who are true targets of bigoted violence. What company do you keep to give that whopper a pass?

Don't worry @StupidMoniker, it's so PC in the west, they have great tolerance for the slow people. You can stop living in fear, and come out of that log cabin closet. Rent is so unbelievable someone might even live in it for you.

Signed,
    The radical America destroying Left who is not-so-secretly persecuting you

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

You specifically brought up hate crimes.
    As I said, hate is thoughts and emotions. I don't get into thoughtcrimes. People can think or feel whatever they want. Actions is where other people start having a stake.
    Actually, I specifically said that you can have another event to counter their event. The correct solution to speech you disagree with is more speech you do agree with. My response to neo-Nazis is to pay them no mind, because no one who is worth anything thinks we should kill all the Jews, send the blacks back to Africa, or whatever the Nazis are pushing. If you think that the idea that the Jews are going to replace white Christians (as they were chanting in Charlottesville) is an idea that has a lot of traction and you really need to put a counter message out there, go ahead. Just don't physically attack them or try to prevent their exercise of free speech and I take no issue with it. So no, I don't act like the only two ways to deal with Nazis are to accept them or jail them. Oppose them in the marketplace of ideas, as I said from the beginning.
    I would argue that this is mostly true, there have been genocides based on competition for resources as well that were not really about hate.
    The issue is that the vast majority of hate doesn't lead to genocide. You may as well say genocide starts with birth, because there is no genocide without people being born or genocide starts with heterogenous populations, because there are no genocides in homogeneous populations. Some things are necessary but not sufficient. Until the hate progresses to violence, I oppose using violence or intimidation as a counter to the hate.
    Yes, they also spoke about being willing and prepared to defend themselves and the propensity of violence from their opposition.
    Good. Condemn away. As I said from the beginning, have your own counterprogramming event. Attacking them, whether by actual physical violence, by intimidation, or by disrupting their speech is not the way to do it. That just makes them feel attacked and drives more sympathy their way. Present ideas counter to theirs.
    Didn't I specifically say to fight them in the marketplace of ideas? Is your objection to the use of the word marketplace instead of arena?
    If hate against you is coming up in your day to day life, you are living around the wrong people.
    Yes. Here's how it would go. The Nazi spews his propaganda about Jews. Then another person points out all the positive contributions Jews have made to our society and how few positive contributions Nazis have made to our society (and those having nothing to do with their ideology). The audience (or what audience bothers to show up to listen to someone advocating for the extermination of the Jews) gets to be educated that Jews are a much more positive force for our society than Nazis. Also, I don't know if you don't realize it or what, but the extermination (and/or ethnic cleansing) of the Jews in Israel IS put forward as a solution to the Mid-East impasse.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

In the context they exist, not that they should carry a different sentence.

I am talking about the expression of hate and evangelizing of it in efforts to create a movement with the ultimate aim of oppression of another group of people. That is what we are discussing, not someone who has hateful thoughts. Big difference.

Again, we have never disputed that violence is not the answer. We are disputing whether a university should serve as a platform for these groups to advance their objectives.

I would bet that hate was a core tenant. When the British went to India and conquered it, they saw the Indians as lesser to them and their lives not mattering. This is the same with Native groups across the world and in history. You see it as they just wanted the resources, but it is coupled with hate. When you see someone as a filthy lesser being, that is part of what I am talking about in terms of hate.

That's like saying drunk driving doesn't always lead to an accident. Organized hate groups ultimately have violence as valid means to achieve their goal. Let's be clear that I am talking about organized hate groups, not the emotion of hate.

Hate groups rely on intimidation - so you are saying they are allowed to intimidate but no one can speak up against them? Again, from the first post in this thread, I have said I oppose the use of violence by either side. I don't know why you keep bringing it up when we have agreed on that point a week ago. What's your point???

No, they were saying that they would never achieve a ethno-centric state this way and that violence may be necessary. This is my point, these groups will ultimately go to violence. They are just being politically correct in saying they are peaceful. They are not. Why do you believe they are when history tells you otherwise?

Again, no one is suggesting violence against them is the answer, once again you continue with this strawman.

Our disagreement is whether or not that marketplace should be a public university. My tax dollars should not go to support groups that want to eliminate my existence. They are terrorists and you are a fool to think they are anything but that.

Are you saying that Americans are the wrong group of people to live amongst? Because news flash, every single dark person in this country faces hate on a regular basis when they interact with other races. Every single one.

So you are supportive of a radical militant black organization holding a conference around whether or not genocide against whites is a practical measure to make America a good place, and you support a public university allowing such a conference?

I think you are being disingenuous.

5. StupidMoniker

People have the right of free association and to peaceably assemble. They also have freedom of speech. So in addition to people having hateful thoughts, they can get together with like minded people and talk to each other about it.
    Yes, a public university should refrain from using content of speech as a determining factor in how that speech is treated. You are getting into that which is literally protected by the first amendment.
    You seem to be radically expanding the definition of hate.
    Drunk driving DOESN'T always lead to an accident. The difference is, driving while intoxicated is not a fundamental right that is being infringed upon. Speech and assembly are. There are ways in which to go after organizations if they are violent enough (see injunctions against the gathering of criminal street gang members). There should not be rules against them, be they laws, getting barred from college campuses, or whatever, unless and until they are actually engaged in violence or incitement to violence.
    I have never said no one can speak against them, quite the opposite. They should also not be intimidating people. Wherever you previously read violence, include being barred from speaking, people shouting down speakers, protesters storming the stage of speakers, pulling fire alarms, etc.
    What I have seen from Spencer and his followers specifically is that they have been the targets of violence, and then sometimes responded with violence. I guess this is why I keep mentioning violence. The protesters are the ones causing violence. Look at the difference between the first and second marches in Charlottesville. First march, there were massive protests, violence ensued in both directions, and some Nazi nutjob drove his car into a crowd of people and killed a woman. Second march, same morons with white Polos and tiki torches with the same chants, but no massive protest against them and no violence ensued. They didn't go find people on the street to beat up or kill. They did their march and went home. Why is that not the better response?
    Any response that is a denial of their rights to speak and assemble, whether physical violence or otherwise (see above).
    Congress shall pass no law ... abridging the freedom of speech or the right of the people to peaceably assemble. A public university is constitutionally forbidden from putting content restrictions on speech. Separate from the constitutional argument, the University, like the forum in ancient Rome, is THE place to debate and discuss ideas of culture and philosophy. If these discussions cannot be has at a public university, where could the possibly be appropriate. Banning unpopular speech from campus stands in direct opposition to the very concept of a liberal arts education.
    I disagree.
    Yes, I do. How many people do you think would attend such an event? What do you think the outcome of such a conference would be? Do you think the speaker would be attacked? Would there be rioting and burning of property? I would react the same way I reacted to Spencer speaking, I would ignore it.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I don't think you understand the constitution. Not all speech is protected. Speech that is subversive or threatening is not protected under the First Amendment. If you have a speech about creating a new state in America, you are outside of protected speech. Likewise, if your speech is likely to incite listeners to commit a crime, than it is not protected. You don't actually have to make a threat, your speech just has to be deemed likely to incite people to violence - whether or not it actually results in a violent act or not is immaterial.

Hate speech is skirting very close to a threat of violence as often times listeners of audience go out and commit criminal acts. A university is not obligated to protect the first amendment rights when the speaker is clearly focused on creating a movement that ultimately ends in violence.

So you want to redefine free speech and what the first amendment means, that's your prerogative. But to me, what I hear is a man who tolerates racism and doesn't believe its a problem. One has to wonder what prejudices you have.

Good day.

7. StupidMoniker

I don't think you understand the exceptions to first amendment free speech protections. Incitement to violence has to be fairly explicit. For example, if someone goes to Harlem and wears a sandwich board that says, "I hate niggers" like in Die Hard With A Vengeance, that is not unprotected, even though it is likely to result in violence. The incitement to violence exception actually requires a call to violence, and one that is imminent. Forwarding a political philosophy that may eventually result in violence is still protected speech. That is why communism can still be promoted.
    LOL, my professional life is largely devoted to keeping minorities out of prison. My prejudices are that people's rights are more important than feelings.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Again, I think it is you who is very confused. Incitement to violence does not have to be explicit. Hate speech is protected, but any speech that is likely to result in violence is not under the "fighting words" ruling in 1942 by the Supreme Court.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/315/568/case.html

So no, in your example the line in Die Hard with a Vengeance, that is not protected speech EXACTLY BECAUSE it is likely to result in violence.

I think you have a misguided interpretation of the 1st Amendment based on your ideals and what you want to be. And just because you have a job that you feels serves minorities doesn't mean you understand racism or are above being biased against minorities. The fact that you use that as a shield against criticism shows a lack of willingness to be self-critical and is frankly just arrogant.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

good people on both sides folks.

Nook likes this.
  10. StupidMoniker

The "fighting words" exception has been fairly limited. The Supreme Court actually addressed a similar in RAV v. St. Paul, 505 US 377. The city of St. Paul tried to pass an ordinance reading: "Whoever places on public or private property a symbol, object, appellation, characterization or graffiti, including, but not limited to, a burning cross or Nazi swastika, which one knows or has reasonable grounds to know arouses anger, alarm or resentment in others on the basis of race, color, creed, religion or gender commits disorderly conduct and shall be guilty of a misdemeanor." The court specifically held against the very sort of content based restrictions you are advocating here, noting that you cannot ban speech based on content, just because that speech may also constitute "fighting words".
    I think the case law shows that your application of the first amendment to Spencer speaking on campus is in fact unconstitutional and it is clear as day.
    You have suggested I am a racist and provided zero evidence to support your accusation. I have provided evidence against your accusation (which is not something I am required to do against your baseless accusations) just because the very idea is silly to me. I will thank you not to disparage me further without evidence.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The court said the ordinance was unconstitutional as you can not ban specific content without context. But the court did not say his act was protected speech, in fact, they agreed it was not and that the city of St Paul had plenty of other means to stop people from burning crosses in people's front yards and thus did not need this ordinance. In other words, it was not deemed protected speech. Again, you are misconstruing things which shows a bias.

Spencer speaking on campus is not constitutionally protected speech as demonstrated by the case you are quoting is regarding an ordinance, not a specific act.

And again, when you said that racism essentially doesn't exist in America anymore, yes, that is evidence that points to you having bias. You can either take that as an insult, or an opportunity to self-reflect and ask yourself if indeed you may be biased in your view of the world.

12. StupidMoniker

And ordinance against hate speech has the same issues as your proposed barring of "hate speech" from public universities. You cannot single out specific content for disparate treatment. St. Paul could accomplish their goal by reference to arson laws or vandalism laws. Picking out "hate speech" was not allowed, because restrictions based on the content of the speech, even though they tried to couch it in the language of the "fighting words" exception, exactly as you are.
    I've never said racism doesn't exist in America anymore. I see racism at least once a month (sometimes more). I said I disagree with your assertion that black Americans are subject to constant racial hatred from all other Americans (ie that being around Americans is what subjects them to constant or daily racial hatred). Racism is neither as widespread as you are claiming, nor as limited in it's origins and focus. I witness more racism coming from black people directed at white people, though no color has a monopoly on either racism or being subjected to racism.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

While you can not have an ordinance based on content, any speech that is said with the intent to result in violence is not protected speech. The U of F can say no to Spencer because his intent is clearly to provoke violence with his speech therefore it is not protected speech. Furthermore his stated goal of creating a white entro-centric state within the US is subversive which is also not protected speech. The University would have well been on legal grounds to refuse him. As for creating an a rule to bar all hate speech, yes that is not allowed. But we're talking about Spencer specifically, and I think you are getting confused between what a hate group is and what hate speech is. We're talking about the agenda of a hate group, not some random racial epitaphs here.

The fact that you say you see more racism from black people towards whites is puzzling. Do you understand what racism is?

14. StupidMoniker

You can't ban Spencer because the ban would be based on the content of his speech. Content based restrictions are not allowed, even if you try to pretend they are really relying on some recognized first amendment exceptions. It is hard to attribute to Spencer an intent to provoke a violent response. It is also a very slippery slope. Essentially you are asking for the first amendment rights of people to be taken away based on how violent those who disagree with them are. If a bunch of Nazi thugs started attacking everyone at BLM events (and therefore creating a situation where having a BLM event would lead to violence) would you support banning the BLM events? You are essentially arguing in favor of allowing a heckler's veto to the worst actors. You acknowledge that violence is not the appropriate response, but then say to ban him based on the violent response.

As to banning him based on the agenda of the hate group, now you are striking at the heart of the first amendment. Unpopular political speech is the very speech most in need of protection. Brandenburg v. Ohio is directly on point. There the government arrested a KKK member for making a speech in which he advocated, among other things, the return of blacks to Africa and Jews to Israel. The court said that "the constitutional guarantees of free speech and free press do not permit a State to forbid or proscribe advocacy of the use of force or of law violation except where such advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action." Spencer (so far as I know, again, I am not a fan) doesn't tell the audience of his speech to leave the building and attack people. So there was a hate group, advocating for a white ethnostate within the US, including advocacy of the use of force in promotion of that goal. What distinction are you drawing with Spencer that you think allows his speech to be silenced?
    Yes, racism is the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races, as well as prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

JuanValdez likes this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The same court that ruled the ordinance unconstitutional agreed that the burning of the cross was not protected speech. So your interpretation is incorrect.

Spencer's speech is not protected for two reasons. One it is subversive. His stated goal is to created an ethno-centric state - that is considered subversion. Two, his goal is to cause violence to help bring sympathy to his cause. He was not invited by a student group and there was a high likelihood of violence. $500k in security expenditures proves it. The University would have well been within his right to not allow him to speak on campus because of these two things, and they would have been on constitutional grounds. I'm sorry you don't agree. You can't not create a content based restriction, but you can restrict on a case by case basis.

You should take the Harvard Implicit Bias Test.

16. StupidMoniker

Was Spencer burning a cross? How is this relevant?
    Is he calling for the violent overthrow of the US government? At this specific speech? I didn't watch the speech, but from the description it sounds exactly the same as the speech from Brandenberg v. Ohio.
    So? The internal thoughts behind why someone gives a speech are irrelevant. If I give a speech about how catcalling should be rewarded with cash and prizes, but my secret goal is to rile up feminists in the hope that they will react violently and damage the cause of feminism, that doesn't make my speech unprotected.
    The president of the University of Florida disagrees with you. He stated that public universities are compelled to allow him to speak by the First Amendment.
    Took it twice. The first time said no bias, the second time said slight bias in favor of blacks and against whites.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I would think that if that legal approach had a snowball's chance, U of F or Berkeley would have pursued it. I'd rather spend a half-million once on a lawyer to solve the problem for good than a half-million on security every time the problem resurfaces. That they have not suggests to me that their legal counsel doesn't see merit in that argument.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If speech literally endangers or compromises the safety of the public, it crosses a line. Yelling "fire" in a theater is a problem if there's no fire. As is yelling "bomb!" in an airport. But where you're correct is that in both of those established examples, the internal thoughts of the idiot are irrelevant. They are in trouble.

Overall, I agree with the idea that these morons should be allowed to speak, (if students on campus have invited them). But if they cross a line to inciting violence against other citizens, that's clearly not protected, by precedent.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I don't believe you

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

U of F was threatened by Spencer with a lawsuit so they reached a compromise. However, Penn State said no to spencer and is now being sued (along with Ohio State). If this goes to the Supreme court with a rightward tilt they may lose but who knows at this point - here's the statement from the University President:

http://www.centredaily.com/news/local/education/penn-state/article180478026.html

So Apparently Penn State and Ohio State feel they have legal grounds for saying no.

JuanValdez likes this.