1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyson (documentary)

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Blake, Aug 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

This was just released on DVD yesterday and I watched it last night. Pretty fascinating documentary. Mike basically walks us through his life and is being interviewed most of the movie and they play clips of his various fights.

He isn't as dumb as I thought he was...but he obviously has some issues. Anyway, any of you boxing fans out there would probably appreciate it.

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

I wanna see it...

Poor guy was young and didnt know what to do with money. Don King screwed him over...

also, i dont think he raped that woman....even more so when he said "i wish i raped her now"

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

posted about this a few months ago.

the guy isn't dumb at all. he's highly intelligent. huge misconception because he's a brutish boxer with perhaps the most cartooniest voice of all time.

4. Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob Member

He has some serious psychological issues, and he's bizarre, crude, and brutally honest.

But, you have to feel for the guy. His father abandoned him at a very young age, and he was basically left to fend for himself on the streets of Brooklyn.

This should give you a summary of his early years: he was arrested 38 times before the age of 13.

5. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I was wondering when this was going to come out. I missed it when it was in theaters.

Thanks!

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'll have to check this out even though i've heard Tyson's life story about 4,000 times. He's one of my all-time favorite professional athletes. Hell, he's the ONLY reason I plan on buying Fight Night 4 on 360.

7. Nice Rollin

must see...i got it from redbox last night....Great biographical documentary

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

watching him get upset by Buster Douglas is among my top 5 most endearing sports memories of all times. i remember it like it was yesterday.

9. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Definitely worth a watch. I went in thinking they would show a lot of his fights, but they didn't, and I still enjoyed the documentary.

10. Nice Rollin

same here.

it's more about his life, but i enjoyed it. you see another side of him. he seems like a good person. (although i never did think he raped that woman)

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

I always felt Mike was just misunderstood, crazy but misunderstood. I want to see this documentary.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Winner of this year's "Understatement of the Year Award."

Previous winners referred to Mel Gibson's "little drinking problem," Keith Richards "experimentation with drugs," and Karen Carpenter's "weight issues."

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Where do you put him in the PATHEON of great fighters?

While he was dominant. . . he didn't really fight anyone of any note.
    [Maybe his biggest thing was he came up in a time of a bunch of chumps]

The realest fight he had was REAL DEAL . . and got himself Thumped.
    I thought by time he fought Lennox Lewis he was past his prime

The Buster fight was more HIM than Buster.
    http://boxing.about.com/od/records/a/tyson.htm

Rocket River

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He retired the great Michael Spinks, who was 32, and in his prime.

Michael Spinks lost ONE FIGHT in his career...And has beat some truly great fighters, but he just could not handle Mike...

Frank Bruno was pretty damn tough too...

#14 RudyTBag, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And by the way, he was far past his prime when he fought Evander imo. The head movement and boxing was not to be seen after the Buster fight. He just didn't care...

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i really waffle on Tyson. coming up, i remember watching him fight fights early in his career on ABC Saturday afternoons and seeing the look on the face of guys after he delivered the first body blow. i've never seen that before or since...there was just something different. i don't know if anyone ever measured the force of his punches relative to other boxers....but my guess is it would have been significantly harder.

having said that, i'm with you entirely on spinks...he was a helluva fighter. but it stopped there. that's not necessarily his fault...but it's real hard for me to grade him against other great heavyweights because of it. he didn't have a frazier or a foreman to grade out against.

also...i loathed tyson. i respected him. but it was a celebration in my house (no kidding...a celebration) when buster knocked his punk ass to the mat. very few moments in sports have ever been that exciting to me. i relived it recently by showing that fight to my older boy.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We celebrated in the dorm when Evander but him on his butt.

Rocket River
    I don't dislike Tyson . . . just was an Evander fan at the time

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

I remember Tyson saying his career basically ended after the Buster Douglas fight.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I had such great hopes for Tyson early on. He could'a been somebody.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He got screwed. He was just looking for his mouthpiece when he got counted out... ;)