1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson on trading block

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Dec 18, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

hmmm...Woj also said Rox are cooperating with Lawson's reps. So, maybe the Rox were truthful earlier about "no truth to trade rumors," and then later they honestly reached out and engaged Lawson's agent or vice versa to discuss an amicable separation.

2. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Why in the world would Miami do that?

3. GMNot

GMNot Member

I hope no one's thinking trading him is the lynchpin to suddenly make everything work. I don't see that happening. But I haven't watched the last few games.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

of course the Rockets were truthful. Things change.

This numbskull waived money to come here and isn't even trying.. He has literally forgotten how to play basketball.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Disappointing end to a promising move.

The good news is that I think multiple teams would be interested given his contract structure:

Brooklyn
    Philly
    Detroit
    Milwaukee
    New Orleans
    Utah

Philly is an interesting option. Colangelo clearly wants to bring in some vets, and Lawson would fit well into their system. Maybe something like Lawson for Landry and Covington.

I'm also curious about Miami. Hear me out: Miami will have a tough time keeping Whiteside and Wade in the offseason unless they clear salary, and Dragic hasn't fit well in Miami. Could you do something like Lawson and TJones for Dragic and Richardson? It would have to be in January, when Dragic is eligible to be traded.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Makes sense. Likely earlier a few weeks back (when the Cyberx report came out) I am sure that the Rockets were planning ahead to this time of year and gauged potential trades for later on down the line in case Ty still wasn't fitting in.

Now we get down to it, and its Ty's people gauging the market to help get a deal together. Which makes sense that it would now leak obviously.

My guess is the fact that Ty's reps are involved in brokering a deal means that back several weeks ago, Morey was NOT able to find a deal that helped the Rockets more than the significant amount of salary cap space it would open up if the Rockets simply waved Ty this Summer.

Keeping Ty, getting savings this Summer could very well > A trash deal that hurts the Rockets flexibility going forward.

Unless Ty is willing to go to Philly (which is probably the only team that can straight up absorb his salary) I don't see too many teams that the Rockets could trade with and make out well... unless a team was willing to part with a picks... which probably wont happen since the Rockets were probably the only team willing to give up picks this Summer and that's why he ended up here to begin with.

So I think he's still likely to get dealt as much as anyone, but this doesn't guarantee a deal. Morey could very well opt for a gamble on Ty for the rest of the year + financial flexibility this Summer.

7. heypartner

The point is: Clutch's video interview was 2 weeks ago. Quit a fast change from no truth to trade rumors, to Woj finding out and reporting it, and cybrex previously, unless Lawson's reps were also in favor of a trade.

Yeah, I agree. Rox were likely truthful, but interesting to find that it might have started from Lawson's camp.

8. dobro1229

On a separate note - what a disappointing trade that had so much promise.

I remember Clutch saying that he had heard that the Rockets, for whatever reason, just weren't that high on trading for Lawson... then this Summer alot of people seemed to push Morey into making the deal along with the fans here (myself included) really cheering for the deal to happen.

But all along I think this is another case where Morey needs to be Morey, and we probably need to stop questioning him so much on moves we think NEED to be made for certain players.

I think Morey knew all along that Ty was a high risk of not clicking in Houston or that he was a much worse player than he looked like in Denver. If Morey really had wanted him to begin with, he would have traded for him much sooner.

9. heypartner

^^^

fwiw: I live in Boulder, so have a few Denver fans as friends. People were pretty much convinced Lawson was worse than his stats. They had given up on him a couple of years ago.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Ohhh, interesting. I didn't here about that.

11. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

J jack and Thornton ballin off the bench would be sick

12. conquistador#11

it was over before it began,
    a red sea of madness.
    Lost, figuring out who can dance with harden
    Kloe's ass(ets) would be my only guess.

:stepping beyond the arc and airballing a three:

1 person likes this.
  13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think Lawson was somewhat of a last resort. We clearly needed PG depth. Llull turned us down when many thought we could finally get him over, including Kevin McHale (per a radio interview he did).

There was really little risk in the Lawson deal so it doesn't hurt too bad in the sense that we didn't give up much, but it has still been very disappointing.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I knew his assists were a bit inflated since he had such vicious rollers (is that a mar1juana joke? pun intended then) and finishers. Rocket don't roll or finish like they do in Denver.

He was never this bad at scoring, right? he's so bad. he never wants to shoot.

15. dobro1229

Yeah it was back last year during the season when there was all the speculation pre trade deadline when everyone was convince (SOON) that we were trading for a PG.

Basketballhollic's sources said it was Rubio
    Someone else's sources said Knight
    Someone else's sources said Dragic
    etc. etc.

And Lawson got brought up alot. On a Post game Pod Clutch and MK were talking about it, and Clutch said that from what he's heard from whatever reason the Rockets just weren't that high on Lawson.

Then when the Lawson deal came out we heard a few things about ALOT of people pushing the deal to happen. You read between the lines and agents and players seem to have really pushed hard for the trade.

All along its just more confirmation that Morey knows what the heck he's doing, and as fans we should hope that he's able to avoid being pushed in the future to make deals he has the data to show he shouldn't be making.

16. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

What a JOKE. Pretty pathetic in my opinion.

This is Ty freaking Lawson we are talking about. He has been clearly been bad, we all know that, but as a coaching staff it is their job to utilize talent, but we continuously throw him in with no plan whatsoever just hoping he will play like Denver Ty Lawson. Instead of attempting to coach them to success, they decide to bench him. He himself said he doesn't exactly know what his role here is, and that is so embarrassing. It is the coaches job to get that figured out and make it work.

It is the same with Dwight this year, he is a complete non-factor on offense and that isn't really his fault. The offense is so stagnant and lacking in any real gameplan, that they just have him setting off ball screens and clogging the paint hoping he gets some rebounds. Get him some touches, set him up for some easy dunks, and I know he is bad in the post but give it to him down there a few times so that he is freaking part of the offense. I mean how about a pick and roll with Lawson handling the ball, Harden back cutting to the corner and Howard rolling. Just came up with something that MIGHT work, but instead all we see is pick-up style basketball and I think it is a testament to just how bad the coaching here is/has been.

17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Thankfully in the end we didn't end up getting ready of anything much in terms of value

18. dobro1229

On the surface it looked like little risk but now losing that pick hurts, and if the Rockets have to take back salary next year it potentially hurts even more to just get the deal done (a reason why I think they might still keep him).

Good news for us is that Morey negotiated some safety nets like the 2nd year contract non-guarantee.

Another interesting wrinkle is getting the pick protection to automatically shift to a 2nd in year two. This is key because it doesn't tie up the Rockets from trading more future picks due to pick obligations. Something interesting to note.

So yeah it looked non-risky at the time, but there was still data obviously that Morey had that threw up major red flags. This wasn't the type of player that you could insert so easily, and not disrupt chemistry on the court. Also losing more perimeter defense was a crucial part to the Rockets having such a poor defensive start. Ty + Harden on the front line really opened up the flood gates, and the bad defense really has become contagious.

19. OpenLayup-Why3?

Always said he's a bust

20. No Chill Rocket