1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TxDOT] More lanes to solve traffic in Austin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

3. Buck Turgidson

I remember when Austin mocked Houston for the Katy Fwy expansion

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm assuming the managed lanes will cost a good amount of money to ride in?

Uprising likes this.
  5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Nothing could be worse than the intersection they put up in Pflugerville...

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I took a right there myself into headlights. Not a single person honked at me. I backed up etc:confused:

Uprising, CCity Zero and Rashmon like this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What in the hell?

Invisible Fan, CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I somehow have managed to avoid this section, do these actually help with traffic flow?

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, there's a few spots like this in North Austin, I've avoided this one but there's another one further north and I see wrecks there often.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have no idea. I am Pflugerville periodically to go to Round Rock Multipurpose Complex for my son's practices. I guess I don't take that road often because it came out of nowhere. I felt like such an idiot but have not seen anything like that before.

BigShasta and CCity Zero like this.
  11. Major

Major Member

I think there's something similar in South Austin near 71 and William Cannon. It seems like one of those things that might work in theory, but in practice is going to lead to lots of wrecks and screwups.

12. Major

Major Member

Austin's problem is not south of Slaughter. I guess this helps all the people going from Buda to South Austin, but it's just going to create an even bigger mess once you get north of Slaughter.

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

TxDot doesn't care about this. They want to build more lanes.

14. Buck Turgidson

35 is still an interstate? Wouldn't that be the feds?

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I understand induced demand eventually causes congestion to catch up to pre-expansion traffic. But doesn't expansion also allow higher traffic volume to travel, which is another benefit of road expansion?

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's the states jurisdiction even though I'm sure they receive some sort of federal funding for it, but it also comes from Texas budgets.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

We have a couple in my area. I feel like I'm a kid just learning to drive when I navigate them. They're very unnatural, and god knows what would happen to traffic if an accident happened, but they seem to actually help the traffic flow a lot.

CCity Zero likes this.
  18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah this looks like a mess, I know 1431/I35 in Round Rock has a displaced diamond intersection, it looks bad from a top/sat view but when driving it, it somehow seems okay. I have seen some accidents there and don't really like coming up on it vs a standard intersection though, so I definitely think I will have the same sentiment as you when I come up on this displaced left turn thing.

I mean especially if it's raining heavy and you can't easily see the arrows etc. and you're the first one up, haha.

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I definitely don't like the way it looks on the video, I am in RR and am sure it's only a matter of time before I have to navigate it.

That's pretty wild on making the turn like that though, but I can easily see that happening to a lot of people (including me)! I'm guessing the regular drivers of that intersection see it a decent amount, especially since they weren't even honking. My bigger concern on these new intersections are people driving dui/dwi probably having an even higher occurrence of this.

I'd be curious to see how often wrecks happen at these special intersections vs standard ones.

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I know I didn't, I mean if Mopac or I35 has a major wreck we're gridlocked, at least in other major Texas metros they have real highways (unlike Austin).

I mean Austin traffic is only going to get worse, I think the idea was that with limited road expansion they can control the growth, but so far the plan has failed, haha

Uprising likes this.