1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Twitter is becoming a 'ghost town' of bots as AI-generated spam content floods the internet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Twitter is almost all bot engagement now. For better or worse. But at least the bots are in AI bikinis.

Google and even Wikipedia are suffering from the exponential rise in LLM and AI generated "content". SEO + AI Content is killing Google's usability. As AI generated content and AI generated edits propagate through Wikipedia, it too will become less and less reliable. That will be a huge loss in my opinion. I am sure Encarta and Encyclopedia Britannica are rubbing their hands in glee at the potential downfall of Wikipedia.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science...blem-as-ai-spam-floods-the-internet/103498070
    Bots liking bots, talking to other bots
    But first, let's get back to those reef-tweetin' bots.

Timothy Graham, an expert on X bot networks at the Queensland University of Technology, ran the tweets through a series of bot and AI detectors.

Dr Graham found 100 per cent of the text was AI-generated.

"Overall, it appears to be a crypto bot network using AI to generate its content," he said.

"I suspect that at this stage it's just trying to recruit followers and write content that will age the fake accounts long enough to sell them or use them for another purpose."

That is, the bots probably weren't being directed to tweet about the reef in order to sway public opinion.

Dr Graham suspects these particular bots probably have no human oversight, but are carrying out automated routines intended to out-fox the bot-detection algorithms.

Searching for meaning in their babble was often pointless, he said.

"[Professor Hughes] is trying to interpret it and is quite right to try and make sense of it, but it just chews up attention, and the more engagement they get, the more they are rewarded.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7bdba/ai-is-tearing-wikipedia-apart

It didn’t take long for researchers to figure out that OpenAI’s ChatGPT is a terrible fabricator, which is what tends to doom students who rely solely on the chatbot to write their essays. Sometimes it will invent articles and their authors. Other times it will name-splice lesser known scholars with more prolific ones, but will do so with the utmost confidence. OpenAI has even said that the model “hallucinates” when it makes up facts—a term that has been criticized by some AI experts as a way for AI companies to avoid accountability for their tools spreading misinformation.

“The risk for Wikipedia is people could be lowering the quality by throwing in stuff that they haven’t checked,” Bruckman added. “I don’t think there’s anything wrong with using it as a first draft, but every point has to be verified.”

2. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

This 2024 Worldbook Encyclopedia collection can be yours for the low, low price of $1199. And it's AI free (maybe?)

Sajan likes this.
  3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

How would I know if I am real?
    Sometimes I cannot pass the captcha prompt, and that means I am an AI subroutine, right?

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The only way to stop this epidemic of bots is to introduce friction/cost to the participant.

It doesn't have to be much. Even the tiniest amount of value causes pain at scale.

It's possible to achieve this. We just need to hit critical mass.

Andre0087 likes this.
  6. Sajan

Sajan Member

Who cares right?
    As long as we keep selling more ads and printing money, bots, smots, hots, blah blah..

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Elon thinks we're in a simulation, so maybe we're all bots.

And maybe that's why he went ahead and bought bot-filled Twitter.

8. VanityHalfBlack

Are you a bot?

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It'll only hold the bots off for five years or so, until they become crypto bros, self-inflate some random crypto and become billionaires and actually buy Twitter.

Seriously, I hope AI is the end of social media. The pessimist in me says AI will be sentient a lot sooner than they think and will destroy us from the inside out.

#9 Two Sandwiches, Feb 28, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
  10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That's only if you accept shitcoins that can be manipulated.

If the system ran on bitcoin, it'd be impervious and true.

11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Didn’t Elon suggest this and everyone lost their ****? I’m not on the platform anymore but even when I was it already seemed like a giant bot farm and echo chamber.

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Maybe. I dunno.

Here is the plan laid out:

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm constantly amazed at how much the high fallutin (convoluted) concepts from Westworld are playing out wrt AI. We're reaching a phase where all existing data has been hoovered up, so the next phase is to generate robust and cheaper training data by simulation. But the black box nature of those neural networks suggest it's simulating internal models in proportion to it's computing capacity.

Even sentient AI can be considered a tool, so it's really upon us and our choices to affect our overall outcome. Just because AI could destroy us doesn't mean it has to, or maybe it's destroyed us in 14 million to 1 simulations and got over the reason it thought of it in the first place.

In the meanwhile, we still have ourselves to deal with and our capacity to make any tool either insufferable or incredible.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  14. droxford

droxford Member

Social media started out as a fun way to stay in touch with friends and reconnect with old buddies.
    Now, it has become a weapon to be used against you.
    It's better to have no social media presence at all.
    In social media, anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of social opinion. And you'll be considered guilty, even if proven innocent.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Amen to this.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Dumped them all a while ago. Feel bad for the people who spend a lot of time on them.

17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Uh...you guys realize where you're posting this, right?

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Visual representation of twitter today....

[​IMG]

19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

A web 1.0 BBS?

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This would be a great service to humanity.