1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] The Expanse

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 16, 2015.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I knew it was just a matter of time.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That sucks. I just caught up with the season. This is a good show.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It seems like they could wrap the show up gracefully this season if they wanted to. To me, it seems like it is unnecessarily dragging out.

4. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, snap! This is a great show. I can't believe it's been canceled.

5. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Dang, I thought it was picking up well too this season. Will they finish it out? How many more shows will remain this season?

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The expanse looks amazing, but the storylines are just not as great as the critics keep telling me they are. I'm not invested in any of the characters or what they are trying to do. I just think about BSG that this show gets unfairly compared to. Those characters were great even as the plots got wonkier and wonkier.

Rocket River and B-Bob like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

3 more episodes left.

8. Duncan McDonuts

The storytelling is below the quality of the graphics and scenery. The Expanse is very aesthetically pleasing and portrays space unlike any other show. That's not to say the story is bad. It's good and enjoyable, above par. But the cinematography is a tier above the story.

B-Bob and DreamShook like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I bet Amazon or Netflix pick this up.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I like the story telling personally.
    It feels way more authentic and possible to me than a fair number of sci-fi shows.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Grounded, authentic scifi doesn't automatically mean less intriguing. I think of The Martian, Gattaca, Sunshine, Firefly (is this authentic?) Fringe (is this authentic?), all authentic, plausible scifi films and series that are very intriguing in concept and storytelling

The Expanse is intriguing in concept only IMO. With all these cool concepts floating around, it feels boring.. It shouldn't be this meh with the amount of "stuff" going on. I'm still trying to figure out if I care about anyone or anything that happens on screen.

They just blew up millions of people a couple episodes ago and I felt nothing.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Show has improved every year. Hopefully Netflix grabs it but doesn't cut the budget too much like they did with Longmire.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Damn. That sucks.

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

WTF. Best Sci-Fi on TV.

They are shopping it elsewhere. Perfect for Netflix.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

or Showtime or HBO.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ha... well it isn't super fast moving, I'll give you that.

But I wouldn't call many of the other things you listed as any "faster". Of those listed, Gattaca, Sunshine seem like good comps speed-wise and equally compelling to me...

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I hope so. Part of the "problem" are all the people who haven't read the novels. SF fans should eat up this series even if they haven't read them, however. Netflix or Amazon would enlarge (expand!) the audience. I hope one of them gives it a chance.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm reading the books and the show was disappointing for me at first, but I've gotten used to the smaller scale of the story and low budget sets. There is a lot that just can't make the shift from novel to tv series without coming off cheesy.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I certainly agree. If it is picked up, a larger budget would help a lot. I like most of the cast. The title of the series of novels fits well. It is such a huge canvas and deserves the same on the screen at home. The Syfy channel simply can't provide it.

KingCheetah likes this.
  20. Duncan McDonuts

Agreed. The story overall is okay, but the characters lack a lot of personality to be invested in them. A good majority could be nameless characters that an extra could fill to move the plot along. They should flesh out the characters more to enhance the story. That's the show's biggest flaw to me.

Rocket River likes this.