1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] The Expanse

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

We binged the first 4 episodes on ON Demand yesterday when I got tired of football. It's pretty entertaining.

If there is a GoT comparison, it's that they will kill anybody.
    I'm up on the plot with the exception of who the guy in the morgue is. I thought Detective Miller was looking for a hook-up on Grindr.

Mrs. Marwan!

My only complaint was it seems hard to boot up on Comcast. I had to start and restart each episode 3 and 4 times before it actually started...wierd.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Show has been renewed for season 2 despite very poor ratings (that may be partially a result of the first 4 episodes being released online.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just watched the 4th episode last night and its got my attention but I definitely see problems with following it. With work and other things I have a hard time keeping up with TV shows. One of the drawbacks of serials.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It seems like with most of these shows it takes time for things to catch on or to hit their stride story wise. Agents of Shield didn't really get interesting until the end of Season 1 and Stargate Universe got cancelled right when it started to hit its stride. With The Expanse they are jumping right into a very complicated storyline right from the start. Syfy is probably figuring it will take time for people to get into it.

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That's just the crappiness of comcast. Happens with other shows too.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I've had my complaints about THE EXPANSE and I really like Dark Matter, but I disagree.

THE EXPANSE has much more potential.

Some of my complaints were before I watched episode 4. Episode 4 was a turning point for me. I've been rooting for this show since day one. Episode 4 has me more hopeful for the future.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This might be a long play by SyFy.

The Expanse is good, deep content that should drive traffic.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Battlestar Galactica had terrible ratings throughout it's run on television. I remember they even tried to run it on NBC and still no one watched it.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Bolded is the reason why I'll never truly get into a SyFy network show again. SGU had a ton of potential and it was just getting good and they pulled the plug, and they've done this to way too many good shows for me to ever truly become invested in anything on that network.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Rooting for it. I'm a sci-fi nut and want SyFy to be successful.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Haven't read the book. I think it's great so far. I like how they didn't bother to waste time with slow intro eps and just got right into it.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Really? Thought it was pretty good received upon Rotten Tomatoes.

13. No Worries

I looked it up.

BSG had a four year run on SyFy, whatever its ratings were. I strongly suspect that SyFy's cost were justified by the benefits.

As crazy as it sounds, the video content world has changed since BSG aired (2003-2009). With Netflix, Amazon and Hulu providing content and consumers who want to purchase on-demand streaming, this is a brave new world for video content producers and suppliers. The business model is changing. Shows like The Expanse may be able to thrive in the new environment. We will see.

14. No Worries

I have read the first two books in the series and you have no clue where this is going ;) but I promise you the series will deliver :grin:

#54 No Worries, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The reviews were great, but no one was watching.

16. nono

nono Member

I've really liked the show. Too bad it's only four episodes and will have to wait a year for more.

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The 5th episode just aired this week. There was no break.

18. nono

nono Member

Holy **** !

19. nono

nono Member

Have you read the books ? Do you recommend reading them ? The books seem to have mixed reviews on Amazon but I'm really liking how the story is shaping up.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure it's one of those shows where more people watched it after it was all available online instead of during it's original run. I know the first time I watched the series was when they had them all on Netflix. Jesus, talk about binge watching. I was cooped in my barracks room for a solid 2 weeks(last couple of months of my active duty so I had plenty of time).