1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV Show] What are you watching?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jsingles, Jul 23, 2016.

1. clos4life

clos4life Member

You won't regret it.

Fantasma Negro and Xerobull like this.
  2. Fantasma Negro

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That first episode bar fight…

[​IMG]

clos4life likes this.
  4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Some really great moments in the show, that's just the first one. I'm glad you like it.

Fantasma Negro and Xerobull like this.
  5. Xerobull

Episode 3. This show is hardcore. How can I not have watched it until now?

clos4life likes this.
  6. clos4life

clos4life Member

I literally said the same thing when I saw. Brutally good show. Elliot is basically Iko Uwais from the Raid in this show throughout season 1. Don't want to say anymore beyond that, but my goodness. It is an amazing show. I feel sorry for Elliot. And that scene with Lale's family...

Xerobull likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

Gangs of London was pretty interesting.... finished episode 2 before they took it off the free Amazon Prime, but looks like it's back until midnight.

clos4life likes this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

Finished the Queen's Gambit..... B+. Pretty great show.... had lots of unspeakable thoughts about Anya Taylor Joy.

Finished the first season of Avatar: Last Airbender..... B+. Also pretty good stuff and will finish the series sooner than later.

Xerobull likes this.
  9. Xerobull

I'm halfway through Season 2. Love the show, it's a solid B+/A. I would describe it as a British gangster/spy show with lots of political intrigue and espionage at a high level. The story is way deeper than something than say, The Sopranos. However, there is a touch of zzzz prime-time soap opera to it. It sort of reminds me a little of the boring parts of 24 at times. The first half of season 1 had me thinking it might be better than the first season of True Detective but it fell off some. The action scenes are great, especially the ones directed by Gareth Evans. Unfortunately it's way too bloody and violent for my wife to watch with me. She loves action too but she'll have nightmares if it's just too bloody and gory, like torture, etc, so I have to screen the questionable stuff. She would love the kick-ass aspects of the fights of all of Evans' stuff but again, just too gory and bloody.

I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this show, it's good enough to warrant it. If they greenlight a season 3 I'll start one.

rocketsjudoka and clos4life like this.
  10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Yes!! The show sucks without him!

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

A Spy Among Friends based on the Cambridge 5. It stars Damien Lewis and Guy Pierce.

I've enjoyed the show so far and would like to read the book. It's amazing how long Philby got away with being a spy.

ROCKSS likes this.
  12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I really liked “Tulsa King”. I think it is Stallone’s best work.

The main issue I had was in the finale:

It’s not realistic at all that the biker gang would roll up to Sly’s club on loud bikes giving themselves away. Then, they take another minute or two just dismounting their choppers and getting organized. That is total bull given what was going on with war between the two parties knowing a shootout was coming at any moment. They might as well have just rode themselves off a cliff and saved themselves the shootout. Morons!

#1132 Surfguy, Mar 2, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  13. clos4life

clos4life Member

Excellent review. Still, some real good stuff in the second half of season 2, I think you will like it, some good twists and turns (plus 1 of the main characters officially becomes my new favorite). I'm thankful that my wife can handle all the gore but I can see those that can't not enjoying it as much.

That being said, beating the first season of True Detective is a high bar for any show to beat. That it got close in some aspects is high praise indeed.

Xerobull likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw season 1 of Gangs of London and second that it’s a really good show but maybe a bit excessively bloody. Some of the acting is very good and I really liked Michelle Fairly as the mother. She was also Caitlyn Stark but hadn’t seen her in other stuff. She’s a very good actor and will look for her in other roles.

For those who like a good British show Slow Horses on Apple + is really good. Like Gangs of London it’s sometimes hard to understand because the slang is so thick. It’s funnier though and not as violent as Gangs of London.

clos4life and Xerobull like this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Finished season 2 of Vox Machina the other night on Amazon. It’s good for light entertainment. Even though it’s a cartoon it’s a bit too bloody for young kids but good for teenagers.

Xerobull likes this.
  16. Xerobull

I couldn’t stand Fairly as Caitlyn Stark. In the books she’s supposed to be this legendary beauty and here comes this shrew lady with a pinched mouth. I do think she’s well cast in GoL though.

I keep subtitles on for GoL.So many thick accents.

Will definitely check out Slow Horses once I re-up Apple+ for Ted Lasso.

clos4life likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Part of the issue with adapting GOT to film is that the ages of the characters in the book are very different. Rob Stark is only 15 when he becomes King of the North and Jon Snow is only about 16. Given modern sensitivities and film regulations it wasn’t practical to have teenagers playing those characters. As such in the books Caitlyn Stark is likely in her late 30’s but for the show a much older actress was cast.

Besides her looks, and I think for a woman in her mid 50’s still looks pretty good, she’s a very good actor.

18. Xerobull

Casting the kids a little older I understand. Casting one of the beauties of the series is a no-brainer.

19. Xerobull

At episode 2.6, very enjoyable. Missing Evans' sublime kinetic fight choreography this season but the fights are still very good.

Lale is a smokeshow.

clos4life likes this.