1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV News] Nov 12th Dave Chappelle to Host SNL! (w/Tribe Called Quest)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Nov 4, 2016.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Negan Chappelle was dope

2. VanityHalfBlack

Please tell me more about this Visitor Q reference. Is it @Jontro approve? Breast milk, that was a Chappele sketch I'm assuming. Please go on.

3. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

As usual with Chappelle, I had forgotten how funny the dude can be. Some sketches didn't hit, but the ones that did we're great. Smart move to put their best performer (Mckinnon) in this one a lot, cause honestly, everyone else is gonna pale by comparison. Tribe was also great.

R.I.P. Phife, Cohen

Someone get Dave his own show again and a nicotine patch or an E-cig or something. It's nice to have him back. Hope he sticks around.

DreamShook and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Monologue was great, but the news anchors were the best part. Loved how they cracked up the whole time.

B-Bob, DreamShook and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  5. what

what Member

SNL has been funny for a while now. Kate is obviously a star and Kenan is solid. Weekend update had some ziggers too. I also think Vanessa Bayer is way underrated.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. PhiSlammaJamma

One of my favorites is the kitten commentaries. Those are hilarious.

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Overall a pretty strong episode - but far from groundbreaking. His opening monologue was amazing though.

8. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I think the varying opinions on the "Hallelujah" cold open are emblematic of where we are as a country right now.

I've seen posts on Facebook about "safe spaces" and "how pathetic that was" and then I've seen other people thanking SNL for that moment and saying things like "that's what we as a country needed right now."

I thought it was great. A bit weird and unexpected, but pretty powerful for a sketch show.

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

"Far from groundbreaking"

What were you expecting exactly? It's an episode of Saturday Night Live.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  10. Svpernaut

They could have done some really memorable things, like they seem to always do when Timberlake is on. I think they rested too much on Chappelle Show nostalgia... and certainly could have played up the election madness more. The "Election Night" skit with Chris Rock was especially mediocre.

Last week would have been one of the easiest to write for, because the real-world was so ridiculously over the top it was very easy to poke fun at. The best laughs came from Chappelle's monologue - which shows lack of creativity from the writers in my opinion.

DreamShook likes this.
  11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Relied on Chappelle Show nostalgia? There was 1 skit that had anything to do with Chappelle Show and it's one of the funniest they've done this season.

While I don't disagree that the rest of the show wasn't great, please at least try to make sense. You're like the Skip Bayless of the BBS.

Rocketman95 likes this.
  12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I saw the cold opening and figured it has more to do with the death of Leonard Cohen than the election. I thought it was really odd that she did it as Hillary, though.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

How in the world did they not have James Brown or Prince in the Negan short?

"Negan, what did the five fingers say to the face......slap.........Game.....blouses"

14. Poloshirtbandit

You meant Rick James. He hates the character now. He also said he wouldn't use dead people.

B-Bob and Yung-T like this.
  15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Err yea, Rick James

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

When is the chappelle show coming back?

17. Svpernaut

I disagree. The extremely mediocre "election night" skit also played on race relations (much like Chappelle Show did), and I think the writers didn't think outside of the box much - just tried to play on skits you might see on Chappelle Show.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I didn't get doing it as Hillary, either, except after she finished....she made those comments. They were trying to tie the two together as some kind of solemn statement with hope left even though Trump won and it didn't work imo. It just felt like a tribute to Cohen by playing his song. No doubt she did a fine performance. But, I don't watch SNL for openings like that. I wanted to laugh and it felt so out of place. It's like SNL is showing their moral compass but we want to laugh during the opening skit. How does SNL tie into Cohen? They didn't do that for Prince or Bowie. Prince did get his own SNL special with his performances and skits making fun of him, though.

19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Come on, guy. This is Tribe we're talking about, they're not gonna send out a replacement rapper. thank goodness they didn't do it that way.

They did it the best way possible, piping in phifes original lyrics while paying tribute to the giant hanging image of their fallen brother.

20. Fantasma Negro

With help from none other than Busta Rhymes. You're welcome