1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV Disney+] Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LOVE the Armorer! That fight scene was awesome!

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Chapter 8 was off the chain! Love the 1st season. And was pretty much what I expected and hoped for. Satisfying.

Act I: The set up. Chapters 1,2,3.
    Act II: Mandalorian of the week. Chapters 4,5,6.
    Act III: The Close. Chapters 7 & 8.

You can make the case that chapters 5 & 6 were *filler* but they were *fun filler* at least.

Love the characters (though did not like the deaths but to be fair they brought gravitas to the show). Love the world building. Love the musical score.

My wife cried on the deaths. She had not cried in a Star Wars movie before, so that says something to me.

MOAR of this universe! Let's go!

3. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

It’s still not written very well especially in terms of dialogue, and it’s overtly simple to a fault most of the time. At the end of the day I’m happy to at least have this and it’s continuation. Strongest character was easily Werner Herzog - also glad Giancarlo Esposito is now in the mix, with his new fancy lightsaber and with the mention of the Jedi feels promising

BigM, Yung-T and Jontro like this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

wished they could have skipped the filler episodes with more substance. they could've gone 1, 2, 3, 7, 8 and we would have 3 more episodes and gone much further.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

wash she voiced by that airbender from dr strange? her voice reminds me of her.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That's a vibroblade, a lot of Imperials are using it (not so much in the movies, but a lot in novels and shows/games.).
    See for example the red guards in EP 8.

mikol13 and whiskeyred like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If one is looking for *The Perfect Star Wars* you are going to be disappointed. One can nit pick stuff here, but one probably could nip pick ANY of the star wars movies to 5 times as much. At that point....one is *comic book guy.*

At the end of the day, this series gets a lot right. It isn't perfect, but in many ways embodies the true *spirit* of the original star wars.

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The fancy lightsaber is apparently the *DARK SABER* which was originally created by the first Mandalore Jedi. It's origins are seen in the Star Wars CARTOONS (Clone Wars & Rebels). I do not watch those so I didn't know the significance but if you DO watch them it is a BIG BIG reveal.

Also, the entire Star Wars series is "overly simple" so to fault the show for that probably isn't fair. It is comfort food. I agree that the gravitas of Herzog and Esposito was huge. They brought more to the table than the bad guys in 7/8 (haven't seen 9 yet).

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mr. Frings aka Moff Gideon is such a baddie.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I wasn't familiar with his past work, but he strikes the right chord in this show. Good gravitas and presence.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Totally missed that, nice.

The Sword originally belonged to the first Mandalorian that joined the Jedi Order and was later handed down to the Mandalorian leaders (Maul also was in its possession temporarily).

It seems Gideon was leading the purge of the Mandalorians and stole the Dark Saber (or won it in a duel), so this sets things up nicely for Mando to take revenge for his people.

Supermac34 likes this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, they have some nice jumping off points for Season 2. Can go in multiple directions. Nice flexibility.

Yung-T likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Guessing Mando tries to while tries to kill him and . Random adventures will happen in between.

14. Caesar

Caesar Member

I hope the Kenobi series gets this kind of talent in it as well. Favreau, Waititi(should have directed the sequels) and Dave Filloni need to find a way to be involved with the other SW related series so they have that same feel to it which is much more Star Wars than the actual movies other than Rogue One.

I do wish The Mandalorian would move on to a different setting as desert like planets will become kind of a boring set assuming Kenobi is having all his new adventures on Tattaoine. Too much similarities as well with Mos Eisley Port/Cantina which you know they have to add into the Kenobi series which is kind of overdone at this point.

I want to see the Mandalorian explore jobs in the underworld/lower levels of Coruscant. Blade Runner like Set pieces. You only have to show the top level(heavy cgi) once when they enter and once when they leave). It would require a bigger budget, but i think it can be done.

daywalker02 and Yung-T like this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

season 2 needs some john woo and michael bay

arkoe likes this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

FYI, the lady that directed The Mandalorian Chapter's 3 & 7 (both excellent, and tense) is directing Kenobi.

mikol13 and Supermac34 like this.
  17. PhiSlammaJamma

Yoda Fett. It’s happening.

Jontro likes this.
  18. Beezy

Beezy Member

Disney should be backing up the money truck for Taika after he delivered the goods with Ragnarok and the Mando finale.

Deuce and Jontro like this.
  19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Here's a good rundown on the history of that item.....

Deuce and Yung-T like this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Does anybody else dislike the nickname “Mando”??

I mean they’re all mandalorians (or were). Apollo even thought they were a race... which further questions his use of the slang name.

It’s the Star Wars equivalent to ....... in real life (was going to type things, turns out they looked pretty racist as well, left it blank).