1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV Disney+] Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Keep this in mind. This isn't a movie. This is a TV show. Think of it more like how 1960's Star Trek was delivered.

There is only *so much through line* you can do. There are going to be A LOT of "episodes of the week." Just appreciate being dropped into the daily life of the Mandalorian. You have to look at it through that prism and not a MOVIE ARCH.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is getting it. This is what the series is. It is what I expected. If one expected more than this then just turn it off.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

i'm looking at it through a modern TV arch. Modern TV dramas have season/series long story arcs usually. McGuyver, A-Team, Knightrider, etc did not have it.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Disney hasn't really killed Star Wars. You being older than your teenage self did.

daywalker02 and J Sizzle like this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Keep in mind there is a Season Two already on tap. So my guess is not everything is going to be explained and tied up.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not all shows have deep through lines. Even in modern TV dramas.

justtxyank likes this.
  7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This may very well be the case.

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

And I get it. I feel the same way at times too. I kinda have to catch myself and remind myself.

I get some of the gripes of the show even though I am a big fan. I think it is tough to please everyone. I am just thankful we get something like this at all. Low hanging fruit, I know.

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I dont know that "Its a Western" really holds up as an explanation for the sparseness. Just sampled a few minutes of a couple of old TV westerns - Have Gun Will Travel and similar on YouTube to confirm my memory and even the 30 minute ones had more dialog and character exposition in 5 minutes than an entire episode of The Mandelorian.

TV Westerns were dead, basically relegated to mid-morning reruns on Channel 20 when I was a kid, and I think most of you are younger than me. I wonder how many TV Westerns most people have actually seen.

It seems to more be a riff of a specific subset of slightly experimental 1970's very atypical Western films, like A Fistful of Dollars, a style which I'm not sure has ever been tried on TV. The Mandelorian seems like The Space Man With No Name.

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I liked the last episode, and I want a Bill Burr mercenary spin off.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not complaining. I just wouldn't mind if this were less campy/cheesy and more... gritty.

J Sizzle likes this.
  12. PhiSlammaJamma

It would be hilarious if Mando is walking down the street and passes Lando. They pause, and look at each other like a serpent to a bird, and then just keep going. Money.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That's the problem with Disney. I like the show but... anyone with half a brain knows that it will never ever be gritty with this company. Sucks too.

daywalker02 and Invisible Fan like this.
  14. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I thought Disney would have learned from the box office and reviews success of The Dark Knight and Logan.

You don't have to appeal to kids and diversity etc. Forget the CGI and just make a serious movie/show without the
    cute **** and with some real appeal. I thought Rogue One did this and I enjoyed The Force Awakens and hoping for
    a great ending with the Rise of Skywalker.

Jontro likes this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

saw ep6, slept, and almost forgot what it was about when i woke up. so forgettable.

these standalone episodes with absolutely no connection between each one is killing the show. if i hadn't invested my time to watching the majority of the show, i would have left it. probably will not watch season 2 unless they fix the format.

J Sizzle likes this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Your 13 year old self did not complain about campy/cheesy.

Quite frankly, looking at the Star Wars movie landscape, this is about the grittiest they have gone so far.

Doubt we will get an *Adult Star Wars* that caters to the *grit* you are looking for.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The world has enough "GRIT". If you want "Grit", watch "The Expanse" on Amazon Prime now. That will give you enough "Sci-Fi Grit".

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Or read some of the past books that were Star Wars right ? It’s impossible to make something like that in this universe.

rolling my eyes over here. You just can’t see because internet!!!

19. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I thought he killed Hellboy and the Twi'lek girl. It surprised me to see them still alive. I feel like it's obvious that he's on his way somewhere but it's just not obvious to us.

Jontro likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Oh snap, any moment you dun fap is a wasteful moment. Even sleep.

Jontro likes this.