1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV Disney+] Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Vote for Pedro for Best Actor

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

best part was Bill Burr mocking Jar Jar Binks

Rocket River and fattz like this.
  3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

this is very old school television. 30 minute episodes where at the end everything is as it was at the beginning. I don't enjoy it.

J Sizzle, Yung-T and Jontro like this.
  4. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Star Wars serious business.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Because they set it up as a narrative-driven, gritty show that felt more like a movie in the first three episodes and introduced the mystery of Baby Yoda (parents, why was he a target, what's his power and future?).

With those first three episodes, they naturally set expectations for how the show would proceed. But suddenly, they dumped the entire feel and narrative of the show, turning it into a meaningless morning western/cartoon feel where every episode is self-contained and doesn't advance the originally introduced plot from the first three episodes one bit.

There's an unbelievably huge contrast between how the show was introduced to the audience first and how it proceeded from episode 4 on.

So I really don't get why ppl act like the criticism isn't warranted. You are saying "Why does everything have to be DRAMATIC, Long structured? Why can't it just be a "Western" like it was promoted to be?", but that isn't true at all if you take a look at how this show began, they themselves set it up to be dramatic and long-structured, absolutely nothing in the first three episodes pointed to this show turning into a generic Western with self-contained episodes and no real plot advancement.

The first episodes and introduction to a show set expectations and should give the audience a feel for the tone and narrative, but in the case of this show were extremely misleading.

J Sizzle and Jontro like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I have zero expectations for this show and it has served me well.

I'll probably change my mind if it's the same thing ten eps from now, but I never heard any hype built up over this being some masterfully designed show from episode 1-55.

Something like the last episodes of Mr. Robot is more frustrating. They're pulling off crap people here are complaining about and the expectations aren't matching the hype coming off season 2.

This series is just a springboard for post ESB material drawn on a bar napkin and the occasional merchandise pull.

Wait, that does sound like a saturday morning show... Disney+ don't mean Disney+18

Jontro likes this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

Charles Dicken’s Great Expectations.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

OR...how about waiting to see what happens? LOL.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Well there is only two episodes left if I am understanding imdb correctly. They haven't exactly been explaining baby yoda or mando's origins. They haven't really explained the history/mission of the mandolorian guild. They haven't explained who (Werner Herzog) was after baby yoda and their motivations. Usually a show would gradually reveal this stuff throughout the season and get to some big answers at the season finally.

I guess they could do a data dump the last two episodes, but i prefer the season story arc develop a little each episode. I think most of the season has been whats referred to as 'filler' episodes. Firefly is a good example of developing the main story arc a little in each single episode.

#269 tallanvor, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    marky :), Yung-T and Jontro like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I originally thought this was supposed to be a crown jewel to generate and keep subscribers for Disney+.

My theory now is that this is mostly fan service to get people hyped for the final film and Disney is confident enough they dont think they need to sell Disney+.

If you weren't already a Star Wars fan I don't think this would be very interesting at all. Everything is shout outs to things from the original trilogy.

J Sizzle, Yung-T and Jontro like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wasn't his best acting job the fight against the Mountain?

Maybe there is a Mountain dude that can poke his eyes out.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Think it worked. I only have D+ for this and the other wars/marvel spinoffs to come. It’s no crown jewel, but it is an effective hook.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I like it. I was not looking for something beyond the pale.
    Between this and Gargoyles . .. i am good on the channel.

Rocket River

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

I can't wait for the angriest of Star Wars fans to completely lose their minds when Baby Yoda's first words are 'I am Groot" and we find out that he's been wearing a mask all along, Scooby-Doo style.

Mando/Guardians crossover coming soon to Disney+

16. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

The more this goes on the better I am with the format. I like the western/samurai aspects of the show, and as much as I'd like longer episodes I am glad that we are not getting a lot of filler.

I think that they've set up multiple ways in which this series could go. We don't need all of the answers given immediately; but for the main plotline we do need to see some forward motion. The good thing is that once we wrap up that one (I'm going with Baby Yoda mystery as the main plot) then we can move on to some of the other seeds. We can still explore Mando's origins and get immersed in the world of the Manadalorians. We can check back in with Dune or the Smuggler's Guild. He has definitely left behind many people who would like a bit of revenge.

Not perfect, but very enjoyable. I am looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.

17. marky :)

marky :) Member

Ahh i need to rewatch that episode. I was nodding off and on while I was watching.

Yung-T likes this.
  18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It's a low-stakes adventure of the week type of show. Once you accept that, it's easier to enjoy it for what it is.

I've enjoyed it as a one-time watch, but I probably won't watch it again.

Jontro likes this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's not that it "has" to be anything.

They point is...the show is boring. There's not much there. It was hyped as this enormous Star Wars experience, and the main selling point for Disney+ on release, and it is largely a boring show. It's safe, has no story, and generally just doesn't have a lot there.

I can appreciate an episodic show, but it just doesn't feel like that works much with this series. It sounds like I'm not alone in that. But hey...maybe the last couple episodes lead to something and Season 2 is more substantial. We'll see.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am okay with this show as is. There are people who feel the same way.

I can watch this show for their story board pictures and music alone.

But yeah, I would like them to make a much better spin-off. The Yoda Journeys.