1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] AMC's Preacher

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Awesome casting:

AMC’s ‘Preacher’ Series Casts Jackie Earle Haley in Villainous Role

[​IMG]

AMC’s Preacher series has already made some great casting choices with Dominic Cooper as the disillusioned Jesse Custer, Ruth Negga as his fierce ex-girlfriend, and Joseph Gilgun as the vampire Cassidy. But Jackie Earle Haley? Always a very welcomed addition. The character he’s playing, though …

Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, who are adapting Garth Ennis’ Preacher comics for AMC, have talked about making the character Arseface (played by Ian Colletti) more “palatable” for audiences, but I’m curious how that will apply to the character Odin Quincannon. So yes, Jackie Earle Haley has just been cast in a six-episode arc in the role of Odin, who THR describes as,

“A small, decrepit man with the unscrupulous iron will necessary to be the most powerful man in Annville County, Texas. The chief employer in town, Odin runs Quincannon Meat & Power, a 125-year-old family run cattle slaughterhouse business.”
    preacher-odin-quincannonBut then there’s this:

“In the comics, Odin is a member of the local KKK branch and clashes multiple times with Jesse, with the latter eventually discovering him having sex with a mannequin made out of meat products.“
    Look, don’t get the wrong idea — by no means is Preacher sanitized. While at the TCA press tour this past January, critics got a sneak peak at the pilot, and it’s brutal. I mean, seriously violent and brutal. And yet, also quietly contemplative at times. As for Arseface, yes, he is thankfully not quite as grotesque as in the comics (as someone who shot themselves in the face and survived), but seeing how the show deals with Odin and his meat mannequin will be … interesting.

Rogen and Goldberg also spoke recently about the series differing from the graphic novel (with Ennis’ blessing), but that it will still satisfying hardcore fans.

“And for them to be surprised and not know what to expect on a weekly basis. So that was really something that was important to us is to make, again, a good show… I mean, we are fans of the comic. We love the comic, and we are going to make a show we like. So we hope that that translates to people who love the comic as well. But, again, our first and foremost goal is to make a great, entertaining, fun television show that, if you’ve never heard of the comic book, you love. We talked a lot about that.”
    Preacher is set to premiere this spring on AMC.

[​IMG]

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

will my preacher comics be worth more now??

looking forward to it though.

3. Xerobull

I was just looking at that. #1, which had a print run of around 20k, is already going for $350+ on ebay, and the other earlier issues are all going for double figures. I do have the entire run, with doubles of a good amount of them, so I'm looking good (although I would never sell them anyway).

Unfortunately, I had missed the boat on TWD #1 (very low print run of 7500), which was $80 when I started reading in 2004. Now it's $2400+. I also gave away my Deadpool comic collection to a sad teenage kid who I took under my wing. Those comics are trending upward but had a huge print run so #1 is 'only' at around $35.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yes, a little more now, if the show is a success they will skyrocket.

5. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i just looked at the covers and i think i probably only have preacher#1-3. ill have to check next time i'm back in my home town.

thanks for the info it will be cool if the show is successful. preacher may be the only comic that ends up being worth anything. there was a four year span, maybe a little more where i collected comics starting around when spiderman #1 came out in the early 90's and i guess the print runs are just too high for most of the comics i have.

7. Xerobull

That was the 'gold rush' era of comic collecting. The big comics had millions of copy print runs. Anyone who could pump out a comic, especially a gold holofoil cover special edition, was doing well, and there were so many trash comics at the time. I remember news stories of people buying comics as investment items. One Comic shop owner in Clear Lake bought thousands of 'Death of Superman' comics as an investment and ended up going out of business. I was buying 100+ a month and got burned out and stopped buying them altogether. Soon after, the industry collapsed, Marvel was bankrupt and sold a lot of it's film licenses to stay afloat.

8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

The comic series was amazing. I can't wait to see this.

10. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Saw it at Southby; met Seth Rogan. It was amazing.

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Opening scene put online

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rXYqreS_t8k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Potential Potential Potential

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Tonight there's Preacher, GoT, OKC/GSW, and Extreme Rules.

14. nono

nono Member

I read a review saying that it's better than Breaking Bad. I'm really really excited for this show. AMC is doing such an amazing job with its tv series. Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, and now this.

15. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

will check out...i read somewhere tonights episode is an hour and half?

16. conquistador#11

Can't wait! They do have a good line up.

Isn't AMc also responsible for "rebellion"? that series is dope!
    I've never seen hell on wheels.

17. The Boz

The Boz Member

That true.

18. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/05/21/preacher-pilot-review

IGN review for the pilot: 8.8/10

19. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I put GOT and Silicon Valley on the back burner so that I could watch this last night. I really don't know what to think... Didn't move the needle either way for me. It wasn't bad, but I can't say I really liked it. Guess its going to take a few more episodes.

But I do know that I won't be prioritizing this show over GOT again.