1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TThanksgiving at the Crawford Ranch. Dubya Hides Behind Local Sheriff

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Nov 23, 2005.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

CRAWFORD, Texas - A dozen war protesters including Daniel Ellsberg, who leaked the
    Pentagon Papers, were arrested Wednesday for setting up camp near
    President Bush's ranch in defiance of new local bans on roadside camping and parking.
    ADVERTISEMENT
    [-78160]

About four hours after the group pitched six tents and huddled in sleeping bags and blankets, McLennan County sheriff's deputies arrested them for criminal trespassing. Many in the group held up signs, including one that said "Give me liberty or give me a ditch."

A dozen or so other demonstrators left the public right of way after deputies warned them they would be arrested.

The protest was set to coincide with Bush's Thanksgiving ranch visit.

The arrests were made by more than two dozen deputies who calmly approached the demonstrators in their tents and asked if they wanted to walk out on their own or be carried. Two chose to be carried. They were to be taken to jail for booking.

Ellsberg, the former Defense Department official who leaked the Pentagon Papers during the Vietnam war, estimated it was his 70th arrest for various protests since the 1970s.

"Those of us who finally saw through the Vietnam war saw through this war, and all the actions that were necessary to end the Vietnam war will be necessary here," Ellsberg said Wednesday before his arrest. "I think the American people will get us out of this (war)."

Ellsberg became famous for his release of the secret documents, which indicated the government had deceived the public about whether the Vietnam war could be won and the extent of casualties.

Also arrested Wednesday was Ann Wright, who resigned her post as a senior diplomat at the U.S. Embassy in Mongolia in 2003 in protest of the war with
    Iraq.

Anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan wasn't among the protesters Wednesday because of a family emergency in California, but she planned to be at the camp later in the week.

"We are proud to be here," Dede Miller, Sheehan's sister, said hours before her arrest as she huddled in a blanket at the campsite. "This is just so important. What we did in August really moved us forward, and this is just a continuation of it."

In August, hundreds of demonstrators camped off the road during a 26-day protest led by Sheehan, whose 24-year-old soldier son Casey was killed in Iraq last year. But a month later, county commissioners banned camping in any county ditch and parking within 7 miles of the ranch, citing safety and traffic congestion issues.

Earlier this week, three demonstrators filed a federal lawsuit against McLennan County over the two local bans.

During the last several weeks of their summer protest, the activists had camped on a private 1-acre lot that a sympathetic landowner let them use. That land is about a mile from Bush's ranch.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/crawford...nIF0W2s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Larry Lynch, the McLennan County sheriff, is a friend of a friend, and I heard the last time he had to arrest somebody in Crawford, it was some liberal kook who decided to climb the water tower. He took them down to the jail and told them they'd get out on bail just as soon as the judge was able to hear their case.... somehow the judge only found out about the case 3 days later....funny how it took so long... :cool:

not many sympathizers in the McLennan County sheriff's office, that's for sure.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm glad they're arresting people out there ~ if I had to listen to Cindy Sheehan's whiny voice one more time...

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Good ol boys suck.

5. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Is this a case of Bush style lying or misleading info?

ANTI-AMERICAN ASSHAT MOWS DOWN CROSSES AT CAMP CASEY
    by patrioticliberal
    Mon Aug 15, 2005 at 09:38:11 PM PDT
    Late Monday night, a man, now confirmed by the media as Larry Northern, age 46, decided to run over the over crosses at Camp Casey that serve as a memorial to the soldiers who have died in the war in Iraq.

According to TexasLady at DemocraticUnderground as well as Ernest Hancock from Air America affilliate KXXT, the man was soon caught and arrested by the Crawford police. Hancock stated on Air America Radio's "Mike Malloy" program, "He had some crosses in the undercarriage of his pickup truck, and he's been arrested". Hear Hancock's audio blog about this incident and stay tuned for other audio blogs from affilliate KXXT. Another audio blog message as of 10:02 p.m.. Dylan Garcia reported at DemocraticUnderground that 500 crosses had been damaged and 100 were beyond repair.

I guess there was no arrest in this case, since this man is an american hero in yours and all repuknican eyes.

6. Dreamshake

Or how about this wonderful piece.

http://wais.stanford.edu/USA/usa_050204.htm

Remember that Crawford is 7 miles from the Bush Ranch. About 100 people recently were driving thu Crawford in
    route to protest the war in Iraq, when they ran in to a City of Crawford police road block that kept them from
    going to the Ranch. Chief Tidmore had been given the protest organizers' name and phone number by the
    Secret Service; and had read a report in the Waco Tribune. He waited for the group to get out of their cars, then
    warned them about the protest and parade ordinance. Wearing a political or peace BUTTON without a permit
    issued 15 days in advance is a violation. Applies to protestors and parades, neither of which were occurring
    in Crawford. Did you ever know 15 days in advance that Bush was going to Crawford? In this case Australian
    Prime Minister John Howard was at the ranch.

Chief Tidmore's warning was a three minute ultimatum. to leave or be arrested. A group now known as the CRAWFORD FIVE . Michael Machicek stumbled upon the scene while walking down the street, wearing a large number of political buttons. The CRAWFORD FIVE spent the night on the floor of the McLennan County jail. The Crawford jury levyed the maximum fine against Patricia Major, Amanda Jack, and Ken Zarifis; $300.00 against Amare Maliszewski; and $200.00 against Michael Maachicek. All have appealed. Numerous suits filed".

HOW about that, arrested for wearing peace buttons. How the tyrannical rule of Bush is exposed.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

And it has to be true. After all, it's from a blog!

8. Dreamshake

9. Dreamshake

Continuing in my BigRexxx beat down now.

http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/node/1658

Rev. Al Sharpton's car stopped leaving Crawford, driver arrested
    Submitted by admin on Mon, 2005-08-29 15:53. Latest News
    Fox News is reporting that Al Sharpton's driver was stopped and arrested, and the car he was in was impounded, allegedly for driving 100 mph in a 65 mph zone.

Another Camp Casey visitor, who gave Sharpton and the other passengers a ride to the airport after the incident, who came upon the scene on the side of the road and stopped when he realized who was involved, said that traffic was moving fast, but that it would be "almost impossible" to drive over 100 mph at that time.

According to this Samaritan, the Sharpton party stated that they pulled over as soon as they saw the flashing lights. The authorities are claiming that they evaded the sheriff's deputy on a 9-mile chase.

Thats a whole lot of lying or non arresting going on in Crawford. LOL

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I heard you get a free bucket of chicken wings and 10 minutes with Sheriff Lynched's wifey if you walk around Crawfurd with a "Make War" button on...

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

imadrummer is correct, you are wrong. Read the only objective source that you quoted in your post, the Waco Tribune Herald website. They said that the protestors did not have a permit, and were therefore breaking the law.

Your blog references and leftie websites prove nothing. You need to read past the spin.

wow, you look dumb right about now...

12. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

You had nothing to do with this. Just thought I'd remind you.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yes, I am doubting the credibility of this story. LOL

I took off my "Blinders by Bush" (LOL) and read the Waco Tribune story which simply said these protestors were arrested because they didn't have a permit. I must have missed the part about the "tyrannical rule of Bush being exposed." (delve into hyperbole much?)

I skipped reading the other 3 blogs you posted. 5 cut-and-pasted-blogs are too many for one thread.