1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's blatant lie about the tax cut

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It wouldn't be if you cut spending to account for it....but that almost never seems to happen. It's hard to buy votes when you aren't being fiscally irresponsible.

BruceAndre and cml750 like this.
  2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don’t care if the rich get richer as long as we all get richer which is what just happpend. Criticize or praise each action on its own merit. Criticizing or praising legislation based on the some possible future legislation comes across as partisan whining.

This tax plan is Supply Side Economics at its best. Watch as our GDP takes a leap in the right direction and more good paying jobs get created, not just more jobs at Walmart or McDonalds.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Welfare services needs to take a hit. Dependency on some of these services is not a good thing. And don’t be fooled, the real value in this tax bill is cutting corporate taxes from 35% to 21%. This is what supply side economics is all about. This is why you are already seeing major corporations reinvesting in their employees, infrastructure and creating more jobs. Watch as the GDP takes off over the next few years.

#63 crash5179, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  4. dmoneybangbang

GDP has been picking up for the last several years and foreign investment has been picking up too. You don’t seem to be paying attention.

Making it easier for capital or supply to invest overseas is what you are accomplishing. Demand is overwhelming overseas.

5. adoo

adoo Member

case in point,

GOP's futile attempts to repeal/replace ObamaCare.​

don't just make false claims, be specific. name the corp and specified their action

i can point to specific / recent development in the corporate world that contradicts your baseless claim

Boeing to buy Brazilian aerospace firm Embraer, who has several US operations. job cuts are expected

the merger of TMobile and Sprint is expected to cut jobs

Disney buying movie studios, regional TV stations from Fox will lead to more job cut​

#65 adoo, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This way pretty sweet to watch, FOX grilling secretary of treasury about the tax plan. Lets see someone call it fake news lmao.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The mere fact that an entity of people who are literally holding on to the most wealth accumulated in human history need freaking tax cuts is absurd all by itself.

We are doing this at the expense of 1.8 trillion dollar defecit added to the annual budget. Imagine if we threw that 1.8 trillion at our nation's public schools rather than people who are holding onto the most wealth in mankind history .

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. conquistador#11

never mind that we deal with putin and we allow putin all over the place, but this is outright commie talk! outrageous. We make a lot of money but we spend a lot of money, ever thought about that? =)

10. Nook

Nook Member

This is really over simplistic.

11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

You're probably poor or middle class yourself so congratulations on your new toaster! Which you will have to pay back in 10 years anyways when your taxes will increase. Meanwhile corporations and billionaires get brand new Cadillacs which they get to keep and don't have pay back. ****ing sheep rejoicing over a damn bone thrown their way. Adding an extra $1.8 trillion to the deficit which is essentially a credit card we're ALL sharing. Next comes cuts to Medicare and social security because of Muh Deficits. You get a $1000 toaster but you will spend more on health insurance and you'll get less Medicare and social security benefits, but let's celebrate!

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I must say, it sucks living in a higher tax state. The cap on SALT really sucks.

13. krnxsnoopy

This is the red states sticking the middle finger at the blue states. Even though in this country, the blue states basically subsidize the poor red states.

jboslett likes this.
  14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

So in my biochem course we were all given a chance at 10 % extra credit if we had a greater than 80% attendance on course surveys. Every student gets a 10% boost if we hit that metric. The entire class of 300 students drop their jaw in excitement and joy. I on the other hand raised my hand and asked a simple question "isn't this class a curved class?" You see, adding ten percent in a curved class to every score literally does nothing. This tax plan just gave us all 10 free points (arguably more for free points for the rich) in a curved class. In a curved class rank, not score is far more important. This does little to nothing to change actual rank here.

15. geeimsobored

Oh I'm aware of what they're doing. However, I think this will ultimately backfire. The Republicans are assuming that the SALT cap will result in pressure on governments to lower state and local taxes. But I think it'll backfire and there will just be a lot of anger at Republicans in blue states for screwing up the SALT deduction. I'm curious to see how local Republicans respond to attacks on them about the SALT deduction. We have two Congressional seats that both Obama and Clinton won that are held by Republicans (in addition to 3 seats that Trump won that Democrats hold). So it'll be interesting to see how the tax bill impacts those races.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

I mean, what if Trump came out and made every dollar now worth $3. Everyone profits! Yay! That means everyone now has 3x the amount of money they had before right? Now if you're rich, that number is closer to 10 or even 20x. Yay! That means everybody wins!

A key component to capitalism, and it's stark contrast to communism is, there will always be winners and losers here. (This is not an endorsement of communism, just a statement of fact). It is literally impossible to make things great for everyone because it will always be done at the deficit of someone else. What's startling here, is people on the right see this as a humongous win for the rich, without seeing the other side of the coin which means its a humongous loss for someone else. We aren't getting the money from ISIS here, we didn't get defeated ISIS big paycheck. Someone is getting screwed over big time here. I hate to tell you, it will be someone you care about if not yourself.

Nook likes this.
  17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Political nonsense aside, there should not be SALT deductions. Period. SALT deductions have a huge impact on the mostly blue states, the same ones show ramble on about how we shouldn't lower taxes. But the second their precious deductions are threatened, they revolt.

If you dont like how much money red states get, then take it up with the feds.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

I mean for me, my rent is a function of those property taxes. My landlord raises my rates based on those rates, which has a more profound effect on me than you lowering his other taxes.

19. krnxsnoopy

I propose the poor red states make their own union, and the rich blue states make their own union.

Y'all hate libruls telling you how to live your life, so make your own union without brown, muslim, asian immigrants. Y'all can have your own abortion-free utopia and homosexuals can't get married. The Y'all Qaeda way of life.

Your own utopia where the notion of global warming doesn't exist. You can have the coal miners, who will be the driving force behind your economy in the new era. Please take the KKK, nazis, and white nationalists with you. And please build a wall to keep the immigrants out, and keep the white nationalists in.

Red states can stop taking federal money off the backs of blue states. Be self sufficient. Make their own country. Make their own rules.

jboslett likes this.
  20. geeimsobored

I'm actually not necessarily opposed to that if tax reform were actually about simplifying the tax code and reducing rates in exchange for getting rid of deductions like SALT, mortgage interest, etc..

But what actually happened was that SALT was kneecapped in exchange for giving corporations a gigantic tax cut, blowing up the estate tax, etc..

That's where my objection comes in. I'm fine with getting rid of SALT and other deductions in theory but only if its part of real tax reform, not some stupid giveaway to the wealthy and corporations when neither needed it.