1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Youth Taunt Native American Elder

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 19, 2019.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

The story of the whole thing was how the media and the left bullied some kids over a lie due to their own hatred of those that disagree with them politically. The story was about the outrage mob that exists today and how it can be exploited by whomever wishes (Russians, 4chan, etc..). The event itself was meaningless, the coverage of it wasn't.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the coverage WAS the event

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The media definitely deserves some blame. The hate group deserves most of the blame. Some of the kids from the Catholic school also deserve blame for their racist behavior (funny how people try and blow over that part). The Native Americans deserve none of the blame for what happened during the incident. If people want to blast Phillips for his comments afterward that is fair. And it is also fair to lay into him and rip him a new one because he was a fridge mechanic. But he did nothing wrong during the incident that started the whole mess.

dobro1229 likes this.
  4. jcf

jcf Member

I happen to agree with you (with the slight awkwardness of the school condemning the kids quickly and then walking it back which makes the strength of the report even more powerful).

Two quick points:

One, as I said previously. My initial view of the short clip was that the kids were acting terribly. Turns out context is everything because I was right there thinking the kids were disrespectful.

Two, (not that you give a hoot), but props to you for your response. We all (me included) sometimes get so dug into a position that it is hard to ever shift or if in your case you were consistent throughout, to say something that others you respect may disagree with.

Poe's law aside, I respect your consideration of this.

5. tallanvor

Native Americans deserve no blame? They told the kids to go back Europe. Phillips deserves most the blame. Dont go make loud noises in peoples' face (screaming, drumming, singing, whatever) . Its harrassment. Spare me the 'its cultural' bullshit. When phillip's buddy yelled racist **** he should of shut him up. He shouldn't of lied to the media about the kids and the 'build the wall' stuff. Phillips shouldn't of stormed a church mass prior to harassing the children. Here's hoping the lawsuit takes whatever money he has. Awful human.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I stay out of these threads for good reason.

My first knee jerk impression only reaffirms what I think about a group of people when they get nasty. It doesn't incite me to hate all maggots (they were stupid kids) but these kind of threads are mental quicksand for both sides and furthers a path of division and resentment.

Case in point, the journalists who didn't back down on their initial account doesn't reaffirm some people's notion over how all journalists act. Just because some group fell victim to a knee jerk didn't allow one to knee jerk against another group in order to feel justified.

I guess consistency and principle are overrated these days and it's all about the Scoreboard.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks I think....

Both sides are dug in deep. For myself MAGA stands for a movement for disenfranchised white people - that is whom Trump Appeals to. That is his large and powerful base and reflects his policies and his popularity. I am always amused when people talk about the economy and that he turned it around. And the look of surprise when I say yes, this is now the longest economic periods of growth now hitting10 years.

Anyway I see maga as part of that obnoxious campaign to help a group that is bitter about a changing America and give them a voice to push for a time when America was less friendly to people like my family and myself. It blames the challenges of modern Life on muslims, the Chinese, Mexicans, h1b visas, etc and not where it actually rests - empowering corporations and an unwillingness to adopt. And I think when kids wear those hats they may be unwittingly representing all this to others and thus the bias against them (not that they are completely innocent)

There is bias on all sides and this incident shows that everyone including the media on both sides. I think it would make America great if people tried to genuinely understand the other side more

#1027 Sweet Lou 4 2, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    DFWRocket likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

This crap happens all the time at these rallies. Video made this a story. The desire to get a scoop made this a story. Twitter made this a story. In this age with the pressure to get a story this will happen. But let's not pretend this is the first time. How many stories about child sex rings in pizza store basements gets scooped up by right wing media and do damage?

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

The school did not conduct the investigation. Greater Cincinnati Investigation, Inc. conducted the investigation. More precisely, four licensed investigators conducted the investigation working for Greater Cincinnati Investigation, Inc. Are you suggesting that the work done by Greater Cincinnati Investigation, Inc. "can not be considered unbiased"?

Here is the web site for Greater Cincinnati Investigation, Inc.:

http://www.cincinnatiinvestigations.com/

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It was paid for by the school. If you don't think the purse strings affect bias I have some stuff to sell you

No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

um . . . okay. Greater Cincinnati Investigation, Inc. Independent private detective agency. In the business of providing independent third party investigative services. Thirty years of experience.

but you apparently know better. :rolleyes:

12. tallanvor

People quite often hire 3rd parties for their unbiased view. For example third party product testers.

13. jcf

jcf Member

I was trying to compliment your response but I was just back from our early Valentine's dinner. I reread my post this morning and realize it is somewhat incomprehensible.

I agree that this was much adoo about nothing and that it should never have blown up into a media frenzy.

I was making the point that when I saw just the short clip I also jumped to the wrong conclusion about who was at fault.

On reflection, this may seem like a back-handed compliment, but it is not intended that way: I read your post to be even-handed and less about "winning".

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

A private investigator hired to see if the students of a high school who sponsored a trip has an incentive to deliver a report minimizing any wrongdoing as that would make their client happy. This company isn't being paid to find wrong doing or to condemn the students. They didn't even interview all the key players, they just looked at the video and looked at written transcripts - something nearly all of us already has access too. So really they are being paid for their opinion, and hell yes they feel pressure to deliver a report that paints the students in a favorable light. That is the definition of bias.

No Worries likes this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

A PI? You act like a Private Investigation firm is somehow beyond bias based on what exactly? Do you realize how many private investigators in the US are out there? And you do realize there are no regulations or anything for that matter requiring them to be unbiased? They are just businesses working to make a profit and do whatever their clients ask. They might spy on your wife for you for an extra $50/hr

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

my wife is an attorney whose office hires PI firms all the time. Moreover, neither she nor the office she works for expects the PI firm to "find" conclusions that she or her office "desire."

So stop with the lecturing about PI firms. jesus christ.

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

If the person who pays the money wants an outcome which is the case here, then they would most likely be biased. They are a third party but they weren't hired by a third party. They were hired by a party involved so it would be hard to say they were unbiased. They will try and provide the client what they desire.

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Really? The private investigator that I know always tries to find what the client wants if they can. If it is a follow the spouse to see if they are cheating, they don't try and find something, but when insurance companies or attorneys hire him, he always tries to find evidence to help them build their case. I know for a fact that the legal firm I did paralegal work for ages ago expected the investigator's they hired to find evidence to help them build the case. If they were merely digging to examine they might not, but if they were on a case, they absolutely would do everything they could to get the evidence that would help them. That was what the PI was hired to do.

I won't say it's always that way or anything because there are a million variables so who knows. But it isn't the PI firms job to be an impartial collector of facts. They aren't the police.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

this is just nuts. PI firms have every reason to be swayed by the interests of their clients. It's a general rule of thumb is that any kind of research or study IS NOT considered unbiased if it is funded by a party that has a stake in the outcome.

20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you know best. :rolleyes: