1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump University's real estate program, $35K

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, May 31, 2016.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Trump U isn't that big of a deal on its own. Taking together with all of his other dealings, perhaps there is a pattern here of someone that is just plain unethical and not trustworthy.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

For-Profit Education at any level should be illegal.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't believe Trump is saying any judge of Mexican heritage can't rule on a case involving him because of Trump wants to build a wall!

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Can't you though?

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's a figure of speech...

The idea that someone should recuse themselves from an activity for being biased based on race is unprecedented.

6. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump bringing in that Jim Crow south jury argument...

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Billionaires just can't catch a break in our justice system any more.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was just pointing out that the action is right in line with what I expect from Trump, no matter how outlandish it is. If it was actually shocking, it would mean that we expect more from Trump than that. I certainly don't and I don't think many others do either. He really is that big a POS.

9. adoo

adoo Member

Code:

the Trump U fraud case in Calif had been litigated for ~3yrs; Trump's legal team, the powerful law firm of O'Melveny & Myers, has never filed a motion in court questioning the judge's ability to be impartial.

that's because a legal precedence had been established, in the 1998 case of MacDraw Inc v. CIT Group, that matters such as race or ethnicity are improper bases for challenging a judge’s impartiality, according to Reuters http://blogs.reuters.com/alison-fra...ont-ask-trump-university-judge-to-step-aside/

1 person likes this.
  10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Even more disturbing given his Trump Wharton finance degree, to appreciate the value of a legitimate education at a hallmark school but still be craven enough to trivialize the very concept with this kind of grift. Honestly I care a lot less about the kind of bigotry you'd hear from any flyover middle-manager than the dozens of shell companies and access or influence over land and mineral rights auctions.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That's complicated if you try to differentiate between clerical, technical and truck driving programs and vocational programs at accredited colleges. Also when governments balance the economic need for a certain number of college graduates against their own reluctance or inability to efficiently subsidize and establish a sufficient number of institutions. We should have never let sports get out of hand or allow the underlying competitiveness between intra-state public colleges to further inflate expenses.

12. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So what?

He is running for president, right now. He has to fight this in the court of public opinion. And in that court, Trump is playing the race card.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Trump is a POS for swindling people of their money, but there are a lot of people like that. That's not my biggest issue with him.

My bigger issue is simply that he's just extremely naive/ignorant and unqualified to be president.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Eh, I think you can run all of those as nonprofits. In fact, I think it'd be interesting to explore using the nonprofit model for a lot more of the economy that is currently served by for-profit entities. I get the profit motive for entrepreneurialism, but there are some going concerns that be run as nonprofits and not be perturbed in the least.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well, I think that's just the problem. People might be tempted to excuse him, saying this is just lawyer-tricks to win a court battle, and that he doesn't mean anything personal by it. But, it's not a lawyer-trick because he never introduced the concept to the courts at all. It was made with only one audience in mind -- the voter. He was not misconstrued or taken out of context. This was him proactively preparing the voter for the news of him losing this fraud case by seeding the story that he only lost because the judge is a Mexican-American who is biased against him for partisan reasons.

It also doesn't help his case that our judiciary has already asked itself the question of whether ethnic identity was a valid basis for recusement, and answered a resounding no.

Of course, the Trumpettes don't care about that stuff and will fall over themselves to vote for him. Meanwhile, the Ryanites do care, but will hold their noses and vote for him anyway.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Good article on Trump's lawsuits.

A clearer picture of Trump is emerging. Unethical, Not Trustworthy, Bully.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...bills-republican-president-laswuits/85297274/

17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Was the program covered by financial aid?

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Like federal fin aid? It's not an accredited university, so no.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

3,500 lawsuits in 30 years. So... that's more than a lawsuit filed per day (either by him or against him) for the most recent half of his life.

Have we ever had a president who carried a bunch of pending personal litigation into the whitehouse with him? I don't know.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It's against his company. Not a lot of presidents have run a company that large for that long, it's also worth wondering how many of those suits were brought against him rather than by him, how many are brought against comparable industry competitors and what the results of each were. Unfortunately I sense that just about any project and contractor-based business has infinitely more opportunities for derelict payments or services in either direction.