1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump: Transgenders no longer welcome in the military

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jul 26, 2017.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You've provided no source to your original claim that Trans people, all Trans people, are mentally unable to serve. This is your argument since you're applauding Trump's idea to ban all Trans people from serving...in any capacity

Based on what?

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Can you provide some journal articles to back up these claims?

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If individual trans have psychiatric illnesses or other issues that make them ill-suited to serve, they shouldn't serve. There is a vetting process for that. What you are implying is that all trans, by dint of being trans, are unfit to serve, a priori without vetting, Trump at least hid behind a budget excuse.

Anyone think lawsuits will be forthcoming? Can any have merit?

JayGoogle and jayhow92 like this.
  4. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

based on Trump making this decision after meeting wth "Generals and military experts"

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Talking about experiment... the experiment of having Trump as POTUS is .... LOL.

As for talk of Trans people - what hoops do you have to jump through to justify banning a whole group based on stats or whatever you can pull out. What happen to individual merit and capabilities? That is not longer something to value? Let's not trust the military to judge who is capable, instead let make a blanket decision on all within a group? I think individualism has it negative, but dang, these new GOPers...

6. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Based on a load of bullshit- that's what it is, really. There are bans that any reasonable person could understand - e.g. if you're 10 years old, you shouldn't serve in the military- and then there are others that are solely based on a political agenda. The hilarious thing is that these right-wing snowflakes are the first to condemn the left for pushing our "social agenda"- what they don't realize is that if you're supporting a ban of TG individuals from the military, what you're doing is pushing a social agenda. So, because they probably know this deep-down and don't want to expose themselves as the glaring hypocrites they are, they make up this utter bullshit about TG individuals being more prone to suicide, mental illness, etc.-

Complete and absolute horseshit- but we've come to expect it from some of them, so not surprising.

JayGoogle likes this.
  7. dandorotik

Yeah, as if he actually did that- you're talking about the King of Bullshit Artists- his "meeting" was probably with a few congresspersons who want to push their social agenda. Experts my ass.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I won't completely write you off here as you aren't totally wrong...but you are making a blanket statement. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are implying that all trans individuals suffer from some sort of mental illness? I believe that DSM/psych classification had at one point classified homosexual individuals as suffering from mental illness as well. I'm old school like you in that I don't understand Trans individuals or their reasons a lot of the time...but I know that I don't know and that it is not for me to judge. There were one or two trans individuals in the class below me in medical school. If they are fit to be doctors...I mean come on now.

No Worries likes this.
  9. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

It's a fact that trans have a higher suicide rate. It's a fact no matter how much you try to ignore it. Your personal experience has no standing when it comes to proven facts.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The straight mentally unfit people in the military are up in arms.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The amount of people in the military that have some sort of mental illness going in is A LARGE number as well. I don't really understand that point even if it were true. Need a veteran to chime in @fchowd0311

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Link?

13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Would you say posting on this board is your own personal Operation Iraqi Freedom?

14. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Okay. You have every right to believe that this is just a social agenda and not something that hurts the military and everyone involved. I'm going do some more research to make up mind. So far I'm undecided because I read some good point on both sides.

15. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I've already posted a link and you delegitimized it for being too right wing even though they were interviewing an expert on the field.

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Trump's reasoning was they are a financially burden that is above and beyond the cost for other soldiers...

There are and have been many publications that show that TG individuals face greater societal pressures are more apt to comit suicide than the general population...need to get on pubmed/ or other research sites to attain actual published peer review articles...but these are some of the links that google decided they didnt want to list when searching...(starting to use bing now...)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...s-face-high-rates--suicide-attempts/31626633/

http://www.vocativ.com/culture/lgbt/transgender-suicide/

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/40279043/...transgender-americans-face-high-suicide-risk/

https://www.livescience.com/11208-high-suicide-risk-prejudice-plague-transgender-people.html

RocketsLegend likes this.
  17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

First of all - Completely right about being total Hypocrites about social issues on the right.

Secondly - It is a fact that TG people are more prone to suicide. However I don't know why that is even a point to this conversation of TG people in the military. Just this AM it was about the cost of medical care which insinuated that the military was paying for their gender reversal surgeries, and then the facts come out and we have to say its about something else.

If you think that TG people shouldn't serve in the military because they are prone to suicide than what do you say about the thousands of military vets that has PTSD? Should they not be able to serve because they might cost a few bucks to get treatment to get back in the line of duty, or serve in another fashion after warfare?

Its just such an insane argument if people on the right like RussianLegend are really trying to go there. Even then, mental healthcare is a fraction of the cost of other major spending portions of our military budget areas and IMO ALL Military members should have access to mental health services regardless to avoid suicides in general. Its the right thing to do regardless.

Even feeling like I have to debate this nonsense with Trump fans makes me want to see a psychiatrist myself to make sure I'm not going crazy.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Are suicides very expensive?

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

PTSD is a result of trauma...Military vets that experience PTSD..do so after their first traumatic experience during wartime/combate exposure...There is zero parallels between the two.

20. dandorotik

OK, so then your logic for wanting TG individuals banned from the military is.... you think that being in the military will exacerbate these suicidal feelings, thus you are thinking of them and their well-being?