1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump: Transgenders no longer welcome in the military

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jul 26, 2017.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

LOL you are clearly a troll account. Don't tell me you got on the BBS yesterday and immediately made your way to the D&D..

Deckard likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, exactly that. You don't seem to realize how feeble minded the people you are talking to are. They need an echo chamber, anyone who disagrees with them has to go and will be branded as a bigot or a troll.

I would advise you to not worry about it. Those kinds of people are absolutely worthless.

3. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

It's a no-win argument with that group. It goes like this (parenthetical counterpoints are mine): all transgender people are mentally ill (they're not), and mentally ill people can't serve in the military (there are exceptions), so TG people can't serve in the military (they can).

Conservatives have this fascination with Tidyness. They have this tidyness urge that translates to labeling an entire group of people one way- this way, they can make a blanket judgment and basically take the easy way out. The rest of us in the world of how things actually are know that this isn't the case, and so the case-by-case basis makes complete sense.

But it's fine- conservatives tend to resist any new "we've been denied rights long enough and we won't be denied any longer" movement at first, then they have no choice but to give way b/c the movements don't go away.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Honestly man, it's not for anyone in this thread to dictate if others should be having a discussion. Are you a Psychiatrist? If not, then you can't go around speaking for them.

I mean it's not hard to find experts who disagree with you on this. Just pull up wiki and the first paragraph...
    The actual site of the APA...
    http://www.apa.org/topics/lgbt/transgender.aspx
    The problem with discourse today is everyone thinks they are an expert on everything quite honestly. It is fine discussing the issue, but to act as an authority on the issue when you aren't even in the field doesn't help anyone.

#324 JayGoogle, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  5. dandorotik

So, among everything Trump has done, you're choosing this as the one correct thing he has done?

1. Thank you for realizing that Trump is an utter disaster. You are absolutely right on that, sir.
    2. However, he didn't get this one, right, either.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The dichotomy of Trumpanzees is that they know everything because they spent three and a half minutes watching a youtube video or reading some wingnut blog but "so-called experts" with doctorates in their fields are liberal elitists who don't know anything. Go figure.

Deckard and JayGoogle like this.
  7. dandorotik

That's what some people do. "Conservatives are all racist, and there's no intelligent argument that will refute this fact." A stupid statement, but it's akin to what they're saying. "This matter, which is clearly an opinion, is really a fact b/c I say it is, and since I say it is a fact, it cannot be disputed."

But, we know the people that do this all the time. You just let them do it and see it for what it is.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Does a person who believes they have a strong personal connection to God (strongly feels God's presence and that God communicates to him personally) have a mental illness if a personal God doesn't actually exist?

Not trying to change the subject -- I'm curious why we stigmatize some feelings people may have that don't seem grounded in physical reality as "mental illness" and other such feelings as perfectly acceptable.

JayGoogle likes this.
  9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Says the guy that calls the most people trolls and has a bunch of people on ignore.

You should take your own advice.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You can excuse away pretty much any mental disorder if you want to badly enough. You can say that schizophrenia isn't in itself a mental disorder and cite many schizophrenics who don't experience clinically significant distress associated with the condition to back that argument.....it would still be wrong, but one could say it.

When you have to do mental gymnastics like that in order to suggest that those with a persistent delusional state do not have a mental disorder it makes you wonder why they'd even bother.

11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I know some orgs have flipped on this over the last few years. Which side is the World Health Organization on at this point? I am finding conflicting links.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I have very few people on ignore.....but of course you saying ignorant things like that aren't anything new in this forum or any other. It's truly impressive how you can be so consistently ignorant on such a wide variety of topics.

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

The medical cost effectiveness was the reason for the ban as stated by Commander in Chief.

The discussion about mental disorders is separate from the cost of medical care.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When it comes to transsexualism, the costs and issues associated with it go beyond treatment...as I'm sure you know. Other factors involved would be housing situations, PT standards, facilities for them to use and so on. It's just a big pain in the ass that isn't worth it.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I just cited the American Psychiatrist Association. There really is nothing more to be said here. I'm not going to take your opinion on this over their research.

Your argument isn't for me, you should go to the APA and tell them your findings on this issue then. Maybe you'll change their mind.

Deckard likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The ICD is a WHO creation, the ICD 10 lists transsexualism as a mental disorder.

17. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

So much for the "Gays, Lesbos and a types of Queer are friends of mine. We hang out all the time."

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I cited the ICD, so it's not "my" opinion, it's the opinion of the WHO. The APA was successfully swayed by lobbyists from LGBT special interest groups the WHO was not. I dunno what to tell you.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree that both sides do it. Liberals do it with climate science for example. I wish people would just let the scientists and minds of our world hold their own discussions instead of butting in and politicizing it.

I agree, using that argument you could say that the religious are also mentally ill...I'm sure a religious person will say "but my God is REAL!" but isn't that what Trans people say? They also tell you that they are in the wrong body or are the wrong gender.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...thats-about-to-change/?utm_term=.5e4a4494506b

Your initial argument was that there was NO discussion to be had here, but psychiatrist worldwide are having it. Fact.